Jump to content
ClubAdventist

A different kind of minister


Recommended Posts

Posted

Just watched "Media goes to Jail", mainly because my wife loves the series. And, I'd have to say that I'm impressed. Although the movie does tend to base humor on some of the aspects that most of Christians would criticize, but it was not the humor that made impression on me either.

The film is really about the redeemed prostitute, but what really catches eye is the minister portrayed in the film. The minister herself is a recovered prostitute/drug addict who roams the streets at night persuading these girls to stop what they are doing. She was also preaching in jail to the same girls.

What was a shock at first was that she was going around handing out condoms and clean needles to these girls, which I'm sure most of the Christians would condemn as an "encouragement" of these sins. Yet, the more I thought about it, the more I thought that it is also a way of showing God's love that He himself shows.

God sends the rain on both just and the unjust. And the message of Hosea is in fact the message to us from God. All of us were prostitutes, and God still provided for us... even though He knew that we will misuse His gifts.

I honestly find the idea both shocking, yet somehow attractive. We don't think that prostitution lane is a place for any minister to be caught in, yet this is where ministers are needed to shine light... in the darkest places.

Although I can see that this giving out of clean needles and condoms would look like act of approval, I think it's a radical approach that would cause people to think... why? Why would someone care enough to go there in the first place, and especially care for people's safety and minimize the damage, even when people are doing the wrong thing.

I really wish that more of the Christians, including myself, had similar mentality and love for people.

  • Moderators
Posted

Girls: If the prostitutes really were children the "johns" should have been arrested for child abuse and the pimps also. NOTE: The news media is reporting today a combined effort by the FBI to rescue the children working as prostitutes and to convict those involved in the child abuse.

If the prostitutes were actually women, calling them "girls" patronizes them in the mind of many.

Gregory

  • Moderators
Posted

Yes, I agree that handing out condoms and clean needles may be ministry in which Christians should be involved.

Gregory

  • Members
Posted

Good post Fccool. Is this movie out in the theaters or was it for TV?

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...