Guest Posted March 17, 2009 Posted March 17, 2009 Hi---Did anyone else catch the reference to Seventh-day Adventists on the March 16th telecast of "House, MD" last night? Dr. House made an earlier reference to 'a pastor in 1844 who predicted Jesus' return" and how it didn't occur, etc. Later in the episode, the lead-character/patient said how the SDA church sprang up out of that group of people. I believe she characterized us as a "major (or maybe she just said "large" or "growing": I'll have to check my tape)Christian denomination." Pretty cool! Maggie C. Quote
jlbyrd Posted March 17, 2009 Posted March 17, 2009 I didn't catch that, but thanks for sharing. It's always interesting when anything Adventist shows up in pop culture. Quote www.reviewandherald.tumblr.com
Members abelisle Posted March 17, 2009 Members Posted March 17, 2009 "Pretty cool!" As an Adventist I was slightly taken aback by these two references because I was struck by how these references throw a critical lens at the one place where most people have issues with the Adventist view of apocalyptic eschatology. 1844 has and still is an issue that has brought and will continue to bring controversy into the church at academic, administrative and local levels. What struck a chord with me was how neatly the Adventist reference fit within the theme of this "House" episode. I saw the theme as an examination of the interface between religious beliefs/superstitions and science (facts/reasons/logic). The first mention of how the dates were changed to accommodate the failure of the fulfillment of Jesus' coming in 1844 had to touch Adventists, especially those who have had or have questions about this seminal and pivotal part of Adventist belief. In my case, it was even more striking in that I had a long discussion with an agnostic friend about my spiritual beliefs and how we as Christians also at times doubt our beliefs. Then to see this reference later that evening made me wonder if, as an Adventist, I really believed what I believe? Just as faith was critical to the patient's belief that the cat could predict death, were the early Millerite predictions which failed a litmus test of the validity and credibility of Adventism with its focus on the Sanctuary message? The second reference was more friendly to Adventists but labeled us specifically as those followers who didn't allow failure to lose their faith. But were they just people who refused to think "scientifically" as House would've suggested is the "right" way for people to confront preternatural issues. "House" was not only talking to a secular audience - I think he was talking to us - Adventists! For many Adventists, the question is: "Can I still be a good Christian Adventist if I don't believe in 1844?" Just maybe this question was being asked through the medium of television for certain people to ponder - just maybe? I'm curious to see how other Adventists viewed this episode? I'm sure that even if one missed seeing it, they can access it on the internet and view it for themselves. Alex Quote We are our worst enemy - sad but true. http://abelisle.blogspot.com
Woody Posted March 17, 2009 Posted March 17, 2009 I have no knowledge of what 'House' is like as a program. Is it a program that SDAs are likely to watch? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted March 17, 2009 Members Posted March 17, 2009 I usually don't watch house, but was clicking thru the channels and just happen to hear them say Adventists, but missed the context. And Redwood its a show that Adventist should not have a problem with. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members phkrause Posted March 17, 2009 Members Posted March 17, 2009 Alex, you wouldn't be the Alex Belisle from CoOp City? It says that you joined back in "02, but that this is your first post dude! Its good to have you on the forum AB. Your comments about house were interesting. I hope that we are up to your standards buddy. hahahahaha pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted March 17, 2009 Moderators Posted March 17, 2009 "Pretty cool!" For many Adventists, the question is: "Can I still be a good Christian Adventist if I don't believe in 1844?" Just maybe this question was being asked through the medium of television for certain people to ponder - just maybe? Alex --Or, even, perhaps, could the question be: "Can I be a good Christian [of any denomination] if I don't believe in 1844?" In other words, I think other people view us (SDAs) sometimes with more interest than they admit openly. So they may possibly be hoping to prepare themselves to be a part of Christ's Second Coming -- without openly joining our church in the meantime. I think we'll be surprised to find some people in heaven who are there because of our [unintentional] witnessing to them. Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
Members abelisle Posted March 18, 2009 Members Posted March 18, 2009 Alex, you wouldn't be the Alex Belisle from CoOp City? It says that you joined back in "02, but that this is your first post dude! Its good to have you on the forum AB. Your comments about house were interesting. I hope that we are up to your standards buddy. hahahahaha pk Hey Peter, How are you, you old man? Looks like you spend a lot of time here! I decided to post here for the first time because of what I thought was the serious implications of the Adventist reference in this most popular show. PM me about your situation. Betty keeps asking about you. Alex Quote We are our worst enemy - sad but true. http://abelisle.blogspot.com
Members abelisle Posted March 18, 2009 Members Posted March 18, 2009 Originally Posted By: abelisle "Pretty cool!" For many Adventists, the question is: "Can I still be a good Christian Adventist if I don't believe in 1844?" Just maybe this question was being asked through the medium of television for certain people to ponder - just maybe? Alex --Or, even, perhaps, could the question be: "Can I be a good Christian [of any denomination] if I don't believe in 1844?" In other words, I think other people view us (SDAs) sometimes with more interest than they admit openly. So they may possibly be hoping to prepare themselves to be a part of Christ's Second Coming -- without openly joining our church in the meantime. I think we'll be surprised to find some people in heaven who are there because of our [unintentional] witnessing to them. They aren't interested in us to prepare themselves for anything but rather are using us as an example of a religious cult/sect that has got it all wrong and simply readjusted our prophetic exegesis to accommodate our 1844 mistake. And also are using us to show how people can be led to believe in things that on the surface seem preposterous and is typical of "mindless" Christians from House's perspective as a doctor/scientist. Yes, we will be very surprised to find out who made and who didn't! Alex Quote We are our worst enemy - sad but true. http://abelisle.blogspot.com
LifeHiscost Posted March 18, 2009 Posted March 18, 2009 They aren't interested in us to prepare themselves for anything but rather are using us as an example of a religious cult/sect that has got it all wrong and simply readjusted our prophetic exegesis to accommodate our 1844 mistake. And also are using us to show how people can be led to believe in things that on the surface seem preposterous and is typical of "mindless" Christians from House's perspective as a doctor/scientist. Yes, we will be very surprised to find out who made and who didn't! Alex "But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel, so that it has become evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my chains are in Christ; and most of the brethren in the Lord, having become confident by my chains, are much more bold to speak the word without fear. Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice." Phil 1:12-18 NKJV Regards! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Kountzer Posted March 18, 2009 Posted March 18, 2009 Who is 'house' that I should be mindful of him? it is just some run of the mill tv series. Non adventist have been saying disparaging things about 1844 ever since the date occurred. No big deal. Not believing in 1844 is akin to not believing Noah before the flood. All those disbelievers got washed away. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Woody Posted March 18, 2009 Posted March 18, 2009 Quote: Not believing in 1844 is akin to not believing Noah before the flood. Ahhh. Come on. I think that is just a little over the top. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
guibox Posted April 7, 2009 Posted April 7, 2009 House is the man! I take it as a complement that we were mentioned and that House thinks we are 'just as deluded as he (Miller) was'. The character of House is a broken, cynical, skeptical man who's only hope is in his genius and in science. He scoffs at faith,deep commitment and emotionally driven thinking . His pain in his leg and bitterness towards anything that doesn't fit in his paradigm makes him such an interesting character. We see how bit by bit, the little things he believes strongly in are being challenged by those around him and the medical situations he diagnoses. I see a person who doesn't want to let the walls down and show that the things like faith, belief and irrationality do affect him. He expresses himself in sarcasm, bluntness and insults to try and keep the walls up. I would love to see him as a teacher! :D Quote www.corbel.theacaistory.com
kayyak Posted April 12, 2009 Posted April 12, 2009 I don't watch House but my computer is in the living room. My husband used to watch it until I said to him, 'shut House down or the TV goes out on the lawn". You wonder why I should say that? I got tired of hearing House denigrate God, saying there is no God and all the anti God jargon from his mouth every week. Each time House came on; I felt evil invade my home. I saw House in an interview and he stated that he is an athiest in real life also. I won't have that in my home. If I had my way, there would be no TV in my home. It's either House or me. LOL Quote
guibox Posted April 13, 2009 Posted April 13, 2009 I don't watch House but my computer is in the living room. My husband used to watch it until I said to him, 'shut House down or the TV goes out on the lawn". You wonder why I should say that? I got tired of hearing House denigrate God, saying there is no God and all the anti God jargon from his mouth every week. Each time House came on; I felt evil invade my home. kayyak, because you do not watch it, you miss the point of what is happening, who House is and why, and where his character arc is going. The purpose of the show is not to denigrate God but to show the rough edges of a cynical genius get chipped away bit by bit. House is a medical practictioner disillusioned with life. Traditionally, science and God DON'T go together and we see that all the time. Seeing it on TV for a purpose (just like we would in a play put on about atheism in a Christian setting) shouldn't offend us. There are alot of people like House out there. People you will encounter. Do you toss them out or try and understand them and keep trying to break through like House's colleagues do to him every episode? Quote www.corbel.theacaistory.com
kayyak Posted April 13, 2009 Posted April 13, 2009 guilbox, a diet of , "there is no God, there is no God, there is no God", will erode anyones mind sooner or later. What goes into our minds, stays in our minds. It is written that I will put no evil before my eyes. You mistake what I am saying, but that's ok. No, I don't toss out anyone. I have pity on others who don't know God. Interacting daily with others and watching TV are not the same thing. Look at society today and see what TV has done. Our children are fat zombies. Quote
Doug Posted April 13, 2009 Posted April 13, 2009 Look at society today and see what TV has done. Our children are fat zombies. It isn't the TV, it's the parents. Did anyone see when the Adventist cardiologist from Loma Linda was on Oprah? Quote
Members phkrause Posted April 13, 2009 Members Posted April 13, 2009 No doug I did not. That must have been interesting! pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.