True-believer Posted April 21, 2009 Posted April 21, 2009 I attended a funeral this afternoon of this very dear lady who died at 65yrs of age... And many people from the Baptist Church that she attends came... I was very confused during the whole service... According to the Bible death is called sleep and this lady is eagerly waiting for the return of Jesus... Well during this service, it was if she was already in heaven in her immortality body... But that is impossible----because Jesus hasn't returned yet... 1 Cor. 15:50ff clearly says we get immortality at Christ's 2nd Coming... But they say it is upon death----straight to heaven to be with Jesus forever.... Or... In hell to have everlasting punishment..... This is very unbiblical out of my findings through the Bible. Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Moderators John317 Posted April 21, 2009 Moderators Posted April 21, 2009 So, if you know what the Bible teaches, why were you confused? Did they say things that sounded true to you that contradicted what you believe and what the Bible says? What are some of the things they said or the Bible texts they quoted? Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
True-believer Posted April 21, 2009 Author Posted April 21, 2009 So, if you know what the Bible teaches, why were you confused? Did they say things that sounded true to you that contradicted what you believe and what the Bible says? What are some of the things they said or the Bible texts they quoted? No I am NOT confused about what I believe... but instead I am confused about what they believe--it isn't biblical. They were saying she was already in heaven... but I know from the Bible she isn't... she is eagerly waiting for Christ's return. Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Moderators John317 Posted April 21, 2009 Moderators Posted April 21, 2009 I'd be interested to know if the pastor (assuming there was one there) quoted any Bible verses to put her in heaven already. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Kountzer Posted April 21, 2009 Posted April 21, 2009 Stuff on this thread are reasons why I don't entertain the idea of attending 2 different types of churches. Confusion. I was a baptist once. Many of my family and people I know are baptist. But in light of the things I've learned as an adventist much of what I know baptist believe is, well, I don't believe anymore. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
True-believer Posted April 21, 2009 Author Posted April 21, 2009 I'd be interested to know if the pastor (assuming there was one there) quoted any Bible verses to put her in heaven already. There was a pastor present and even spoke as well... The verses he used didn't make sense from his perspective... the one from paul... would rather be out of the body and with the Lord... they all use that one. Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
True-believer Posted April 21, 2009 Author Posted April 21, 2009 Stuff on this thread are reasons why I don't entertain the idea of attending 2 different types of churches. Confusion. I was a baptist once. Many of my family and people I know are baptist. But in light of the things I've learned as an adventist much of what I know baptist believe is, well, I don't believe anymore. Yeah, I'm getting like that myself Kountzer... They (the baptists) don't go into the Bible like they should.. yes.. they do go into the Bible-- but not in context Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Members phkrause Posted April 21, 2009 Members Posted April 21, 2009 It also sounds like there interpretation leaves something to think about. I wonder how churches that teach this interpret the verses in the Bible that say when Jesus comes those that are in there graves will come forth and those alive will be lifted up to meet him? pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
GreatLakesGramma Posted April 21, 2009 Posted April 21, 2009 They teach that their spirits are in heaven, and when Jesus returns, he will re-unite the spirit with an immortal body. That's what he preacher preached at the funeral of one of my distant cousins. And Kountzer, I grew up in the Methodist church, and I also had to throw out practically everything I had formerly believed. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.