Woody Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 The latest edition of Adventist Today talked about Mama Sarah .... President Obama's grandmother who is considering becoming an SDA. But it also mentioned that the church there is named after President Obama. What do you think of our churches being named after Obama? Quote: A baptism ceremony for Mama Obama, which was planned for Saturday at the Jomo Kenyatta Grounds in Kisumu, flopped after family members opposed the move. The baptism ceremony had been intended to be the climax of a three-week convention by the church. But yesterday, the SDA clerics were not giving up on convincing Mama Sarah to convert to Christianity. Pastors camped at her Kogelo home for the better part of the day, trying to convince her to be baptised. Already, a church located in the village, has been named after her famous grandson. The Nyang’oma Seventh Day Adventist Church is now called the Obama Seventh Day Adventist Church. A member of the church’s top leadership in Kisumu, who declined to be named, said that visiting Australian evangelist John Jeremic was expected at the village and would hold discussions with Mama Sarah. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
GreatLakesGramma Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 It doesn't seem right to me, to name a Seventh-day Adventist church after any person or family. The church belongs to God, and is supposed to glorify and honor Him, not human beings. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Liz Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 A hearty AMEN, GLG!!!! Preach it!! Naming a church after a person, no matter who they are, is wrong, wrong, wrong. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
carolaa Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 We've got lots of institutions named after people, but as far as I know they are all SDA. Don't know of any other churches named after people, though. No, I wouldn't be in favor of it. Too many people already think Obama is the Messiah. Quote
Woody Posted April 25, 2009 Author Posted April 25, 2009 I would not have been so opposed to it if they had named it the George W. Bush Seventh day Adventist Church. Or the Sarah Palin Seventh day Adventist Church. And hey ... we do need to be fair. If there is an Obama church there needs to be a Palin church. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators james423 Posted April 25, 2009 Moderators Posted April 25, 2009 "Whoever gives to God and not to fame Will never mark the marble with his name. --Alexander Pope Quote James Brenneman
GreatLakesGramma Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 We've got lots of institutions named after people, but as far as I know they are all SDA. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
olger Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 You girls are...sounding good. Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Taylor Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 I don't like the idea of churches named after anyone. However, since Obama has roots in that country and the culture is different, I would say that make skew the picture a bit. However, I don't think they should be named after any human, not even Sarah Palin, or George Vandeman, or Abraham Lincoln. :) Quote
Cosmin M. Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 I agree. As well. But if it means only one church to have Obamas name in it because it will win a soul or more ( Ex. Mama Sarah) then I am OK with only one church to be named like that. Sorta... Quote
Key Guy Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 My quick research turned up: Macie Herbert Memorial SDA Church in Greenville Alabama Dale Wright Memorial SDA Church in Germantown Ohio Impressions 1) I am assuming both churches are named after dead people 2) It appears to be a cultural thing 3) I didn't see any churches named after living people Sources: Google and Tagnet.org Quote
Woody Posted April 25, 2009 Author Posted April 25, 2009 My quick research turned up: Macie Herbert Memorial SDA Church in Greenville Alabama Dale Wright Memorial SDA Church in Germantown Ohio Impressions 1) I am assuming both churches are named after dead people 2) It appears to be a cultural thing 3) I didn't see any churches named after living people Sources: Google and Tagnet.org Were they large donors that insisted the church be named after them? Perhaps it was stipulated in their will. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Kountzer Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 They should name this forum the George Bush sda church. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Dr. Shane Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 Maybe we could change the name of the denomination to Obama Adventist church. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
olger Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 Uhhh... Yeah! wink Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Kountzer Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 You can't name jack. All you can do is blow hot air into cyberspace. No more, no less. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Moderators Bravus Posted April 25, 2009 Moderators Posted April 25, 2009 I'm actually more concerned about this old lady's soul being used as some kind of trophy, and all the resources being put into her conversion because it would be a public relations coup. Every soul is important, but do multiple pastors and international visitors 'camp' to try to convert each individual? No. So the motivation here is less than pure, it seems to me. Quote Truth is important
Members phkrause Posted April 25, 2009 Members Posted April 25, 2009 I think you are correct dgrimm. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
carolaa Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 I'm actually more concerned about this old lady's soul being used as some kind of trophy, and all the resources being put into her conversion because it would be a public relations coup. Every soul is important, but do multiple pastors and international visitors 'camp' to try to convert each individual? No. So the motivation here is less than pure, it seems to me. Yeah, I wondered about that too. Sometime we need to be careful what we wish for. It could backfire. Quote
Woody Posted April 25, 2009 Author Posted April 25, 2009 They should name this forum the George Bush sda church. Kountzer and I are finally in agreement. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted April 25, 2009 Members Posted April 25, 2009 pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
GreatLakesGramma Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 Originally Posted By: Bravus I'm actually more concerned about this old lady's soul being used as some kind of trophy, and all the resources being put into her conversion because it would be a public relations coup. Every soul is important, but do multiple pastors and international visitors 'camp' to try to convert each individual? No. So the motivation here is less than pure, it seems to me. Yeah, I wondered about that too. Sometime we need to be careful what we wish for. It could backfire. I agree. If it takes all they are doing to get her to join the church, I have to wonder about the genuineness of her conversion. Church membership alone isn't going to save anyone. I also have to wonder about the priorities of those leaders, or whether they really care about her soul, or just about the church's reputation. They are trying to do the Holy Spirit's work, and humans are lousy at that. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
olger Posted April 26, 2009 Posted April 26, 2009 You can't name jack. All you can do is blow hot air into cyberspace. No more, no less. Shane has every right to name his son Jack if he so chooses. Is cyber-warming caused by methane perhaps? og Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.