Stan Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 Obama made a statement that men need to be a better father than his father was.. Share with us about your father... Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Moderators Gerr Posted June 20, 2009 Moderators Posted June 20, 2009 No. You would not have liked my father. His method of teaching was either the belt or switch, which was swift. I never felt one moment of love or tenderness from my father. Quote
Members phkrause Posted June 20, 2009 Members Posted June 20, 2009 When my father was alive I was not the greatest son in the world to him. As I got older and had my own child I started to see him more clearly. When he died about 10 years ago, I started to think more about him and what he did for his family. First when he got out of concentration camp he got involved with my mom, obviously , he was going to go to Israel to fight for us to give his family a better life than he had in Poland. Also to help Jews in general have a homeland of there own, since no matter where the Jews were, no one wanted them. That didn't work out. So he came to America, NYC, to eck out a living here. If he were still alive today I'd be spending the weekend in florida with him and my mom. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted June 20, 2009 Members Posted June 20, 2009 I can't imagine having a better father than the one I had. He never yelled at me or my brother in anger or did anything to hurt us. He ALWAYS treated women with respect and would help anyone in need if he could. He was a public high school teacher back in the days when you could actually discipline students if they needed it...but always within reason. His students respected him a lot and asked him for his advice about so many things. During the early days of my life he was a Boy Scout executive and we spent the summers at BSA summer camps in Oregon and Idaho where Dad was the Camp Director. Later, when he got into teaching Dad spent the summers on excursions for inner city high school age students, showing them the sights around Oregon - most of the students had never been outside of Portland. He even took a group to Hawaii one year. He was voted Teacher of the Year for Portland Public School Metro area in the 1980's... He was an avid mountain climber - something I would NOT do!!!! He was on top of Mt Hood when Mt St Helens blew her top, so he had quite a view. He and I would go gold panning along creeks here in Oregon or just take rides to see the sights when he wasn't busy. He was a great storyteller and I miss him a lot. He's only been gone for 2 years and the world is so much less for him being gone. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Cosmin M. Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 My dad is in Romania and I will be with him Tuesday. We are both probably going to come back on August 8th. Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 My father was a farmer. He also was a milk tester for Michigan DHIA (Dairy Herd Improvement Association). So he was gone to work in the early morning and late afternoon, whenever the customer he was testing for that day did their milking. And he was home during the day. As a child and teen, I didn't realize that most kids didn't have their father home during the day. That was a completely foreign concept to me. He didn't play with us all that much, but we worked with him during the summer, especially with the haying, which was hot, miserable work. My dad was not the dominant adult in our family, so he didn't have a lot to do with the discipline, but when he did, he was fair, and never punished in anger, or to excess. I am glad that my dad was home with us, and I appreciate that he always tried to be the best father he knew how to be, though he didn't have the best example to follow from his own dad, who was controlling and abusive. And I'm glad I still have my dad, who is 78 years old. I hope I have him for a long time to come, though I realize that is unlikely. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
True-believer Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 what father??? i had no father while growing up!!! he was always too busy working in the country and hardly ever came to the city/suburbs to see his daughters or is son. i forgive my dad, and i love my dad. even though he has a new wife now which he just recently got married to. life goes on. anyhows, father's day isn't until the second sunday in september here in Australia, so you are all celebrating it far too early. Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Members phkrause Posted June 26, 2009 Members Posted June 26, 2009 This thought just came into my mind as I was reading your post. Yes we do have our earthly fathers, some good, some great, some OK, some just whatever. But our heavenly father always is there for us no matter what, and even if we don't know it. And the best thing is, its fathers day every 7 days. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Gail Posted June 26, 2009 Administrators Posted June 26, 2009 My dad is awesome! He gave me my red hair and has a wonderful sense of humour! He taught me a lot about cars, too. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.