Moderators Gerr Posted August 23, 2009 Moderators Posted August 23, 2009 What do you think about altar calls? Where/when does conviction end and manipulation begin? Does not the pressure factor degrade the value of altar calls? Quote
Guest Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 I think that it does. The best place for an alter call is toward the end of evangelistic meetings when people are making decisions. Quote
Woody Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 What do you think about altar calls? Where/when does conviction end and manipulation begin? Does not the pressure factor degrade the value of altar calls? Hold your hat on Gerry. I actually agree with you. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Gerr Posted August 24, 2009 Author Moderators Posted August 24, 2009 We are getting to feel manipulated, especially my wife. She's even threatened to start going to another church if this every other week (that's how often the preacher preaches a sermon) altar calls for commitment to do something continues. Everybody respond to the call, but nothing happens because there are no plans right now to harness those commitments. I feel frustrated and manipulated! Quote
Moderators Gerr Posted August 24, 2009 Author Moderators Posted August 24, 2009 That's what we're thinking that next time another call comes. My wife threatens to walk out. Quote
wayfinder Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 Thanks be to God, we no longer have altar calls in our church, of course we are in southern California. We used to have them every Sabbath, then the congregation said enough is enough and that was it. Quote
Guest Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 I certainly wouldn't go up if I didn't really want to. Quote
Parade Orange Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 alter calls! i have seen and experienced that when u go up at the alter call that people give funny looks or go up to u and say things implying u must have not been a christian all this time. like they were tricked or somethin. its too weird i have always been surrounded by christians who "DISCERN" everybody ad naseum about everybody elses christian experience i see that alot here too btw but thats another thread does anybody here go to a really nice church where u can take a friend and not have to navigate them away from all those people who has the jobS to "DISCERN" Quote All progress in the Spiritual Life is knowing and Loving GOD"there is non upon earth that I desire besides YOU" PS 73:25That perspective changes EVERYTHING-suffering and adversity are the means that makes us hungry for GOD. Disapointments will wean us away wordly occupations. Even sin(when repented of) becomes a mechanism to push us closer to HIM as we experience His Love and Forgiveness.
Woody Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 That's what we're thinking that next time another call comes. My wife threatens to walk out. Time to tell your pastor about your feelings. He or she should be sensitive to that. But he or she will never know if you don't tell him or her. Okay ... this is ackward. Just tell me if yur pastor is a he or she. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 Quote: does anybody here go to a really nice church where u can take a friend and not have to navigate them away from all those people who has the jobS to "DISCERN My pastor's cool. You would feel welcomed by her. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Lutz13 Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 Quote: does anybody here go to a really nice churchwhere u can take a friend and not have to navigate them away from all those people who has the jobS to "DISCERN" Well, if you are ever in the Portland area, the Tualatin SDA Church is full of wonderful loving people. It is a smaller church and everyone is a lot more personal and real. I have yet to meet a fake or phony. Quote
Moderators Gerr Posted August 25, 2009 Author Moderators Posted August 25, 2009 Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo That's what we're thinking that next time another call comes. My wife threatens to walk out. Time to tell your pastor about your feelings. He or she should be sensitive to that. But he or she will never know if you don't tell him or her. Okay ... this is ackward. Just tell me if yur pastor is a he or she. I didn't know it until today that a few people have already talked & written to him about it. These altar calls are not about conversion or surrendering to Christ. It is about commitment to get behind his program. After the service last Sabbath, I was irritated enough to tell him he can't keep on doing this without a plan to harness these decisions/commitments. I just checked out what the SOP has to say about playing with people's emotions. It's definitely a no no. When the dust settles, there is often a strong negative reaction when the emotions have been stimulated to a high pitch and people realize they have been manipulated. Quote
aldona Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 What do you think about altar calls? Where/when does conviction end and manipulation begin? Does not the pressure factor degrade the value of altar calls? WWJD? Imagine Jesus doing an altar call at the end of the Sermon on the Mount. Would it seem ridiculous? (Always a good test to use when evaluating modern day evangelism methods.) I don't like altar calls. I have never responded to one. (Does that mean I am not saved?) I think that sort of decision should be private, and sometimes takes a long time, not something that can be instantly generated after a good sermon presentation. Plus, the thought of doing anything publicly in front of a crowd gives me the horrors. I have spoken to other people who feel the same way - they feel convicted to give their hearts to the Lord, but there is no way they are going to participate in a public circus. aldona Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
Moderators Gerr Posted August 25, 2009 Author Moderators Posted August 25, 2009 Public circus? Hmmmmmmm. Never saw it that way. But come to think of it, that may be an apt description of some of them. Quote
Outta Here Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 I am very much of the same opinion as Aldona on this. I've always felt that the public altar call was nothing more than a "show" of one's supposed faith. I do realize there are a few who are sincerely answering these altar calls, but for the majority it is a display of what they "should" be doing--like everyone else. I, too, have never responded to an altar call. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.