olger Posted December 13, 2009 Posted December 13, 2009 What do you recommend brethren? ger Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Moderators Bravus Posted December 14, 2009 Moderators Posted December 14, 2009 Will ask some more-knowledgable friends and get back to you. Both lovely makes - do you have particular models in mind? And what kind of playing do you mainly do - strummed chords, finger-picking, a mixture...? Quote Truth is important
Guest Posted December 14, 2009 Posted December 14, 2009 I don't really play acoustic, but Taylor and Martin are both fine guitars, especially when you get into the upper end. Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted December 14, 2009 Moderators Posted December 14, 2009 The early advice from my friends is "unless you really want the name, these days there are equally-fine guitars by other makers that cost a heap less". If you have your heart set on the names, either is excellent. Will bring a few other suggestions and ideas... Quote Truth is important
Members phkrause Posted December 14, 2009 Members Posted December 14, 2009 I say get whatever you prefer, but than I have no idea at all. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
olger Posted December 14, 2009 Author Posted December 14, 2009 Thanks Men. Looking at a Martin HD28 or Taylor 814 ce. Finally ready for an upper end guitar. The Martin sound is incredible, I keep going back to it. The Taylor is nicer looking and sounds good. ger Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
karl Posted December 14, 2009 Posted December 14, 2009 It all depends on what you want to do with it. Best finger-picking guitar is probably a Martin. Flat pick is about a toss-up. Strumming - probably Taylor. Both brands hold their value pretty well. Martin has been around a lot longer. Solid woods are preferable. Solid soundboard (top) is a must. Cedar has a more mellow sound. Spruce is brighter. Rosewood on the back and sides gives you more bass than mahogany does. Ebony fretboard is best. Rosewood is OK. If you don't need a name brand, there are some solid wood guitars that can save you some dough. Recording King makes a nice line of solid wood guitars. So does SeaGull, Larrivee, Blueridge. Be sure and play the one you are going to buy. Spend some time with it. If possible, compare a few by playing them in close proximity. The thing that matters the most is how it feels and how it sounds to you. Every guitar is unique. I would much rather play my Martin than my friend's Martin, even though his is a more expensive model, because mine sounds and feels better to me. Quote
guibox Posted December 15, 2009 Posted December 15, 2009 That depends on the type of Martin and what year it was built. Martin's today are all factory made. Taylors for the most part are decent guitars but you can find just as nice or nicer hand made guitars for much cheaper. I've talked to a few luthiers who told me that they haven't yet played a Taylor they've liked for the price you pay. The best guitars I've found for a fraction of the price compared to Taylors and Martins are Larrivees and Thompsons (both of which I own). My Larrivee cost under $1400 and sounds and plays better than most $3000 Taylors I've played. If you can find a Martin pre-1980, you probably will have a good guitar. Martin guitars today compared to the older ones just don't cut the mustard at all. Quote www.corbel.theacaistory.com
guibox Posted December 15, 2009 Posted December 15, 2009 Ovation Custom Balladeer Ovation?? For some strange reason, they were the rage about 20 years ago but as far as good guitars go, they are firewood. Quote www.corbel.theacaistory.com
WayneV Posted December 17, 2009 Posted December 17, 2009 ger, As a guitarist for over thirty-five years I have played numerous brands, both electric and acoustic. Out of all of the advice that has been given on this thread, Karl gave you the most profound when he wrote, "Be sure and play the one you are going to buy. Spend some time with it. If possible, compare a few by playing them in close proximity. The thing that matters the most is how it feels and how it sounds to you." This would be my advice as well. For example, the best electric guitar I have ever played was a no name knock-off of a Les Paul Standard, which I picked up at a pawn shop. It cost me $300.00 and was easier to play and had much better tone than my $2500.00 Gibson Les Paul. I nearly went into a depression when it was stolen. Just from what little you have written, it sounds like you have enjoyed playing the Martin over the Taylor. God with what you like (even if it is an ovation :smilewink: ). Agape` Quote WayneV Just remember these words of warning, for they will come to pass all too soon: If you are ever flying through the desert and your canoe breaks down, remember that it takes three pancakes to lift the doghouse, because there ain't nary a bone in ice cream!
karl Posted December 17, 2009 Posted December 17, 2009 ger,As a guitarist for over thirty-five years I have played numerous brands, both electric and acoustic. Out of all of the advice that has been given on this thread, Karl gave you the most profound when he wrote, "Be sure and play the one you are going to buy. Spend some time with it. If possible, compare a few by playing them in close proximity. The thing that matters the most is how it feels and how it sounds to you." This would be my advice as well. For example, the best electric guitar I have ever played was a no name knock-off of a Les Paul Standard, which I picked up at a pawn shop. It cost me $300.00 and was easier to play and had much better tone than my $2500.00 Gibson Les Paul. I nearly went into a depression when it was stolen. Just from what little you have written, it sounds like you have enjoyed playing the Martin over the Taylor. God with what you like (even if it is an ovation :smilewink: ). Agape` Yeah, I've got another friend who has three Taylors including a twelve string. One of them is a pretty expensive 914CE ($4K.) I'd rather play my cheapo (by comparison) 1990 Martin D35 Shenandoah. I've had it modified with a Martin Ebony fretboard because I completely wore out the rosewood one (cut your fingernails, dummy) and it's got a built-in pickup which comes in handy. BTW, guitar buyers, if you're going to use your acoustic mainly plugged in, all bets are off. Go entirely with the feel. These high-end all solid wood guitars have a lot of resonance, and feedback is much greater. You can get a rubber damper to go in the sound hole, but why go to all the expense of great resonating wood just to damp it down? Get a less expensive laminated guitar that has a good feeling neck. Electronic sound mod/EQ/processing is cheaper than solid brazilian rosewood. Quote
Norman Byers, N.D. Posted December 18, 2009 Posted December 18, 2009 Hi Olger, I'd say play as many brands as you can and then choose the one you like. Don't worry about the name. If you're going to spend over 2k make sure that the place you are dealing with uses Elixir strings on all the guitars you try. If they will do that for you, you will have good sound on all guitars and it will show that this shop is committed to you as a customer and will be of great help to you in the future. I have been playing seen 73 mainly electric. In 2002 I started finger picking more seriously after seeing Doyle Dykes. One day last year I was in Guitar Center and tried several guitars made by Martin and Taylor. I was amazed at the sound that came out of the Taylor 110e. ($600.00) It sounded better than the $1800.00 Martin they had there. I thought, who in their right mind would spend that when this Taylor sound so good? The Grand auditorium body style make sense to me; I find it annoying when my seagull slides off my lap due to the body style. That's what I think. I hope you get the right one for you. In Christ and His service, Norman Quote The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522
Members phkrause Posted December 18, 2009 Members Posted December 18, 2009 Very good advice Norman. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
olger Posted December 20, 2009 Author Posted December 20, 2009 Thanks guys. I bought a Martin HD28 a couple nights ago. Sound is incredible. Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Members phkrause Posted December 20, 2009 Members Posted December 20, 2009 Thanks guys. I bought a Martin HD28 a couple nights ago. Sound is incredible. Thanks Olger for letting us keep giving advice, while your playing away to your hearts content! hahahaha Mazeltov with your new Gitar. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
olger Posted December 21, 2009 Author Posted December 21, 2009 yeehaw Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Norman Byers, N.D. Posted December 21, 2009 Posted December 21, 2009 Thanks guys. I bought a Martin HD28 a couple nights ago. Sound is incredible. Gerry, now you must record a song for us and post it :-) Norman Quote The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.