GreatLakesGramma Posted February 26, 2010 Posted February 26, 2010 When we first moved to our rural home, I called "Recycling in [our] County, to find the locations of recycling centers in the area. They directed me to the dumpster bins provided by the sanitation company servicing the nearby town. When I first started using them, I'd sometimes see a few things in there that didn't really belong, like colored glass bottles, or a few plastic containers other than number 2 translucent. They were surely the result of misunderstanding the limitations of the local recycling program. I myself was never quite sure whether "clear glass only" meant transparent glass or colorless glass. It could fit either one. But a few years ago, I started seeing other things that were plainly not mistakes, like the trash bag full of twigs someone had probably cleaned up from their yard. The last few times I've taken in my recycling, the bins have been full of things that don't belong, with actually very little in sight of the things that should be there. Not only that, but the whole area is constantly littered with piles of trash bags and uncontained trash. The city has agreed to allow the sanitation company to move the bins to their landfill, where they can monitor their use. They will be available only during the landfill's business hours, and only to those who can offer proof of residence within the city limits. As of Monday, I will no longer have any place to take my recycling. I never abused the system, but was always careful to sort my items and never put in anything that shouldn't be there. And I wondered through the years why the sanitation company was willing to continue to provide the bins, considering how little respect some people had for their purpose, until I learned that it was required by their contract with the city. I suppose that the recent gross misuse of the recycling center has a lot to do with Michigan's economic woes. There are a lot of people with considerably smaller incomes than they used to have, and some are probably trying to make ends meet by dumping their trash there instead of paying for trash pickup, though those in the city itself don't have that option. But that's no excuse. And that's another issue. The paper said that part of the reason the company wants it moved is because of use by non-residents. I thought, when the first article came out last week, that they were talking about people from outside the area, not local township residents. The article in this week's paper gave more details, and after reading it, I guess they didn't like me using it either, though that's what the official local recycling organization told me to do. I've tried to find a phone number for Recycling in [our] County, but there is no listing either in the phone book or online, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere to find somewhere else to take my recycling. I can't blame the sanitation company at all for moving the bins to where they can monitor their use. But the actions of people who don't care about anyone but themselves has made it a lot harder for those of us who do care, to do the right thing. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Administrators Gail Posted February 26, 2010 Administrators Posted February 26, 2010 GLG, I totally agree with you. I hate it when people misuse a system designed to benefit everyone. I feel for your situation! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Cosmin M. Posted February 26, 2010 Posted February 26, 2010 Well, what do you expect low budget families with no money for the dump truck to stop by their house to do with their trash? Quote
Administrators Gail Posted February 26, 2010 Administrators Posted February 26, 2010 Don't they get regular trash collection? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
GreatLakesGramma Posted February 26, 2010 Author Posted February 26, 2010 Well, what do you expect low budget families with no money for the dump truck to stop by their house to do with their trash? That's easy. We did it for years. 1. Compost all food garbage. Even if you don't garden, your lawn will like compost too. 2. Recycle everything you can in your area. 3. Buy a burning barrel, or just dig a pit, and burn everything that can be burned, except newsprint, which belongs in #2. 4. To dispose of things that still work, but for which you have no use, and you don't want them taking up space in your house, give them away. Freecycle works very well for this. 5. For the few things you still have left, find a relative or friend who does have trash service, and who will let you put them in with their trash. None of the above cost anything, except a burning barrel. Anybody can do them, so long as there aren't zoning or other ordinances against composting or burning. None of the above is prohibited in any rural areas around here. The only real explanation for those people who ruined it for my community is just plain laziness. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
GreatLakesGramma Posted February 26, 2010 Author Posted February 26, 2010 Don't they get regular trash collection? Trash collection is required only within city or village limits. In rural areas, it is up to the homeowner/tenant. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Dottie Posted February 27, 2010 Posted February 27, 2010 In our county, everyone has trash pickup and recycling. They used to charge for both, but they had the type of trouble your county has. We now pay pickup and recycling in our homeowner's taxes. There are multiple pickups per week: household trash (2), recycling, and yard trash. Building materials and lumber have to be taken to the landfill, which is at least 25 miles away. Quote
Members phkrause Posted February 27, 2010 Members Posted February 27, 2010 When we first moved to our rural home, I called "Recycling in [our] County, to find the locations of recycling centers in the area. They directed me to the dumpster bins provided by the sanitation company servicing the nearby town. When I first started using them, I'd sometimes see a few things in there that didn't really belong, like colored glass bottles, or a few plastic containers other than number 2 translucent. They were surely the result of misunderstanding the limitations of the local recycling program. I myself was never quite sure whether "clear glass only" meant transparent glass or colorless glass. It could fit either one. But a few years ago, I started seeing other things that were plainly not mistakes, like the trash bag full of twigs someone had probably cleaned up from their yard. The last few times I've taken in my recycling, the bins have been full of things that don't belong, with actually very little in sight of the things that should be there. Not only that, but the whole area is constantly littered with piles of trash bags and uncontained trash. The city has agreed to allow the sanitation company to move the bins to their landfill, where they can monitor their use. They will be available only during the landfill's business hours, and only to those who can offer proof of residence within the city limits. As of Monday, I will no longer have any place to take my recycling. I never abused the system, but was always careful to sort my items and never put in anything that shouldn't be there. And I wondered through the years why the sanitation company was willing to continue to provide the bins, considering how little respect some people had for their purpose, until I learned that it was required by their contract with the city. I suppose that the recent gross misuse of the recycling center has a lot to do with Michigan's economic woes. There are a lot of people with considerably smaller incomes than they used to have, and some are probably trying to make ends meet by dumping their trash there instead of paying for trash pickup, though those in the city itself don't have that option. But that's no excuse. And that's another issue. The paper said that part of the reason the company wants it moved is because of use by non-residents. I thought, when the first article came out last week, that they were talking about people from outside the area, not local township residents. The article in this week's paper gave more details, and after reading it, I guess they didn't like me using it either, though that's what the official local recycling organization told me to do. I've tried to find a phone number for Recycling in [our] County, but there is no listing either in the phone book or online, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere to find somewhere else to take my recycling. I can't blame the sanitation company at all for moving the bins to where they can monitor their use. But the actions of people who don't care about anyone but themselves has made it a lot harder for those of us who do care, to do the right thing. I do agree, but I remember when we first moved to this new home we bought, and the trash truck would come around and they expected that we separate the garbage and the recycible stuff. We were doing that until one day when they came and got the trash and recycible's, I notice they threw everything into the truck into the same place. I stopped doing that for awhile but have been trying to get back into the habit of separating everything even though they don't do that themselves. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 27, 2010 Posted February 27, 2010 Recycling is an eyesore for our community. So many people recycle that the place is overrun with trash. It overflows the containers. I will frequently travel miles out of my way to get there ... only to see they are overflowing with trash all over the ground. I have to turn back and go home. I end up making several trips before finding it emptied. This is a chronic problem. Can you imagine how much polution I've added to the environment by all the excess driving? And yes pk. The same thing happened in my former community. The community and businesses were very good about recycling until an investigative reporter discovered that NONE of our recycling was recycled. It all went to the same garbage site and dumped. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Outta Here Posted February 27, 2010 Posted February 27, 2010 There is such a thing as a telephone. You could call the place and ask in advance if they've emptied the bins yet. And if the stuff really isn't being recycled, then yes, you are doing way more harm to the environment by driving all over the place. You should stop. Or, better yet, campaign to have the recyclable items actually recycled. Quote
Woody Posted February 27, 2010 Posted February 27, 2010 They don't have a phone. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
GreatLakesGramma Posted February 27, 2010 Author Posted February 27, 2010 Well, all I can say is, if that sanitation company has been putting my carefully washed items in the landfill, then they'd better not ever let me find out, or else they will mighty awfully SORRY. I seriously doubt it though, because if there wasn't a way to actually recycle it, that Eagle Scout wouldn't have built the small recycling center to raise money for charity that is also in town. I have thought of using it instead, but I figure with the big bins gone, the trash will get dumped there instead, and someone will eventually remove it too. I found a pamphlet in my filing cabinet from Recycling in [our] County, about recycling used motor oil. I've had it for years, but I'm going to try the phone number anyway, and see if I can find out where to take my recycling now. In the meantime, it's all going into the trash now. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Members phkrause Posted February 27, 2010 Members Posted February 27, 2010 Recycling is an eyesore for our community. So many people recycle that the place is overrun with trash. It overflows the containers. I will frequently travel miles out of my way to get there ... only to see they are overflowing with trash all over the ground. I have to turn back and go home. I end up making several trips before finding it emptied. This is a chronic problem. Can you imagine how much polution I've added to the environment by all the excess driving? And yes pk. The same thing happened in my former community. The community and businesses were very good about recycling until an investigative reporter discovered that NONE of our recycling was recycled. It all went to the same garbage site and dumped. I know that where my Mom lives in Florida, they pick up garbage (trash), recycle, and brush all on different days so than at least you know that its going into a different truck. Now do they bring it to the same place and dump it all together anyway? I'd say that they are probably doing it pretty much right. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
GreatLakesGramma Posted March 2, 2010 Author Posted March 2, 2010 I'm feeling quite disheartened lately, throwing away all those perfectly good cans and jars. And I just can't bring myself to throw the old newspapers in the trash, though I have no idea what else I am going to do with all of them. I guess from now on the trash people are going to earn what we pay them. No more almost empty container by the road on trash day. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
LifeHiscost Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 But the actions of people who don't care about anyone but themselves has made it a lot harder for those of us who do care, to do the right thing. Just another irksome detail revealing the reason this world is nearing its' final destination. "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."Matthew 24:12 KJV Blessings! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.