Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Shorter Days Ahead ...


Recommended Posts

Posted

According to NASA ... the earthquake in Chile (not Peru as previously reported) caused the Earth to fall off it's axis. This is causing shorter days. I never knew an earthquake could have such an impact on this world.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

WOODY

THAT is interesting but how can the days we shorten???

will we still have 24 hours in a day???

dgrimm60

Uh, that would be a "gotcha," Woody.

Good one, dgrimm.

Posted

Not me ... NASA

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

I'm just the messenger folks. Please don't shoot the messenger!!

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Members
Posted

The days are only shorter by milliseconds. I don't think you're going to notice.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Posted

WOODY

SO NASA is that one saying that the days will be shorter

hhhmmmmmmmm

dgrimm60

Yes dgrimm. They say that we have now lost a little of our life because of that earthquake. And the scientist that was interviewed by Fox ... stated that we would lose that portion of life for all of eternity. Yes, a portion of each day for the rest of our days. Sad but True.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Originally Posted By: dgrimm60
WOODY

SO NASA is that one saying that the days will be shorter

hhhmmmmmmmm

dgrimm60

Yes dgrimm. They say that we have now lost a little of our life because of that earthquake. And the scientist that was interviewed by Fox ... stated that we would lose that portion of life for all of eternity. Yes, a portion of each day for the rest of our days. Sad but True.

This is not totally sad. There are elements of wonderfulness! The merry-go-round has got to be spinning faster if the revolution time is shorter.

Maybe the increased friction will cause global warming and bring on another optimal climate age.

This changes EVERYTHING! Let's have a revolution. A faster one.

  • Members
Posted

Not sure that I even believe that? But maybe they have always known this and are just letting us in on this! Seems very strange that we've had all these earthquakes and now all of a sudden it will shorten the daylight of each day!

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

RUDYWOOFS

I guess it is like leap year the extra mins but

not that noticable

dgrimm60

It may not be noticable to you. But personally ... I value each moment of my life. And now I have less life. :(

Chile must have been very evil to bring this upon the planet.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Originally Posted By: dgrimm60
RUDYWOOFS

I guess it is like leap year the extra mins but

not that noticable

dgrimm60

It may not be noticable to you. But personally ... I value each moment of my life. And now I have less life. :(

Chile must have been very evil to bring this upon the planet.

You should spend some time with my second aunt, Millie. We call her Millie 2nd.

I hope there's some payoff from losing milliseconds. Maybe if we could get rid of some of our ohnoseconds at the same time it would be worth it.

  • Moderators
Posted

Less than milliseconds: microseconds.

And no, your life will not be any shorter. Say I'm measuring a door frame, and the ruler shrinks a bit. The door frame is still the same size, I'll just get a different measurement. Same deal: your life is still the same length, the units you're measuring it in have just changed.

Truth is important

  • Members
Posted

1.26 millionths of a second, according to this article:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/03/100302-chile-earthquake-earth-axis-shortened-day/

...and even then, there are a lot of 'should haves' and 'maybes' there...

So Bravus does this happen each time there's an earthquake? And if this is the case, why are we just hearing about this now? But like you say its no big deal anyway.

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Good Question pk. If with each earthquake we lose a little of our life ... pretty soon it will amount to a lot. :(

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Members
Posted

I actually was not thinking of it that way, but yes this does make sense, Woody and dgrimm! So Bravus let us know what the story is?

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Members
Posted

And Bravus I have another question! When they say day, are they talking about the 24 hour day? or are they talking about the amount of light per day?

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Moderators
Posted

Quote:
So Bravus does this happen each time there's an earthquake? And if this is the case, why are we just hearing about this now? But like you say its no big deal anyway.

No, the reason it would have happened (may have happened) this time is that a huge area of the sea floor, and hence a huge mass of rock and mud, was thrust upward by some distance. One of the articles I read compared it to an ice skater: if they extend their arms out from their bodies their spin slows, if they pull them in the spin speeds up. Similarly, some mass moved further out from the centre of the earth, slightly slowing the earth's rotation.

Most earthquakes involve sideways movement along faultlines, not upward or downward movement, so would have no effect on the earth's rotation. It's possible that the earthquake that caused the disastrous Boxing Day tsunami a few years ago was an upthrusting quake (hence the tsunami), and therefore it may also have slightly affected the earth's rotation.

The effects are miniscule, of course, and as I noted earlier, do not change the lengths of our lives by even those miniscule amounts... But I guess it's fun to play as if they do...

Truth is important

Posted

Yes. Me 2. I am greatly relieved. :)

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Members
Posted

Thanks for the info Bravus. Do you think that at the flood, we had this same situation? Because I would imagine that the earth must of had some very large EQs to cause massive amounts of water coming out of the earth? And if this EQ could knock the earth a little more off its axis, I wonder if this could've happen at the flood?

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

If each day is a little bit shorter, then we will have a larger number of days, and therefore will live longer!!

Posted

Yes Indeed Dottie. Good Point. But this is just getting more and more complicated. We DO need to get to the bottom of this so that I will know though.

Keep up the good work folks.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Moderators
Posted

Thanks, Bravus.

It's great having a real scientist on board, to explain all this technical stuff.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Posted

Well Jeannie. You could just listen to me :)

I sleep at the Holiday Inn and listen to Fox News. :)

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Similarly, some mass moved further out from the centre of the earth, slightly slowing the earth's rotation.

Wait a millisecond, now.

If the earth's rotation is slowed, we should be getting more time, not less per day.

And what about those ohnoseconds? I want to get rid of some of them.

Posted

Karl, the scientist I saw yesterday on the FNC explained it in detail. Except he said the exact opposite of what Bravus said. He said that the rotation had sped up by 1.6 milliseconds. He also compared it to a spinning ice skater, and said that it was like pulling the arms in. He went on to say that the earth had actually contracted. So you were right karl. in order to get less time, it has to speed up.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...