Woody Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 Okay. For you regulars ... you know I've done this before. But this time I have more choices for you. On the road we take to get to church ... the following are road signs that we come across. I would just like to hear from you ... which signs do you feel are the most effective for bringing someone to Christ. And also list the reason why. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
SivartM Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 The last one is best. *nods* Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Members phkrause Posted March 13, 2010 Members Posted March 13, 2010 Well Woody I actually don't think that that first sigh is that offensive, but I do get your meaning. I think maybe some 30 or more years ago it would be really a no no, but today more people are really asking about this and you hear people mentioning the antichrist much more today than at other times in history. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
GreatLakesGramma Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 I like the third one best, but it really depends on the individual. What doesn't work for one can be very effective for another. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
karl Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 I would like to see one that says: God loves us and He has invited us all over to His place to have a great time with friends and food. See you there! Quote
Neil D Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 I've seen some signs that are changed every week or 10 days or so...Ones that I like are You think it's hot here...... [this one came up during a partularly hot spell during the summer] --------------------------------- If you are looking for a sign from God, perhaps this is it... [this one is currently up] --------------------------------------- Faith is the gas that moves the car. Works is the person pushing the car when it runs out of gas... ------------------------------------------ There are others but I can't remember them...Perhaps I will post when I see new signs... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Moderators Kevin H Posted March 13, 2010 Moderators Posted March 13, 2010 I like the thrid sign. The second tends to smack of "You streaghten yourself up or God is going to get you" and legalistic, and the first makes God look like he's only conserned about a day instead of the message of the day. The ancient world, the Babylonians kept Saturday, but it was a day of fearful rest that bad things will happen if you work that day. The Hebrews kept the same day but saw it as Sabbath, had an entire different spirit. The first sign to me sounds more like the Babylonian Saturday keeping instead of the Hebrew's Sabbath keeping. For us we have two different days; but there is a major lesson in how people use to keep the same day but in very different ways. Also, I don't like how the first sign is based on tradition on the change in stead of history. (C. Mervin Maxwell pointed out that Ellen White gave a true view of the change, more accurate than any other Adventist study) but this sign goes for the studies by some of those other adventists; and it also implyes what is part of the 5th head is the entire beast. Quote
WayneV Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 The bottom, third, last one... He is our hope! Quote WayneV Just remember these words of warning, for they will come to pass all too soon: If you are ever flying through the desert and your canoe breaks down, remember that it takes three pancakes to lift the doghouse, because there ain't nary a bone in ice cream!
Sylvia49 Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 I would respond more to the third one, "In despair? Jesus is your hope." The others would be a total turn off for someone even thinking of checking out the church. Quote
Woody Posted March 13, 2010 Author Posted March 13, 2010 Here's a sign (not in our area) that got pulled because of the following action: February 6, 2007 CBS PULLS ANTI-CATHOLIC BILLBOARDS Earlier today we issued a news release regarding two anti-Catholic billboards, sponsored by the Eternal Gospel Church, and displayed by CBS Outdoor, that appear along I-65 in Jeffersonville, Indiana. We asked CBS Outdoor if we could pay for a billboard that read, “CBS Sponsors Anti-Catholicism,” but were denied. Catholic League president Bill Donohue explains what has happened since: “Kevin Carnes, general manager of CBS Outdoor, Louisville, called to apologize for what happened and pledged that the billboards will be removed tomorrow. He also said that CBS Outdoor will not post such offensive signs again. “CBS Outdoor made the right decision today to remove the bigoted statements attacking the pope and the Catholic Church as the Antichrist.” The Catholic League is the nation's largest Catholic civil rights organization. It defends individual Catholics and the institutional Church from defamation and discrimination. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted March 13, 2010 Members Posted March 13, 2010 Very interesting Woody, I wonder if there were any anti-SDA signs out there, would CBS pull those billboards? That should tell us something! pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Gerr Posted March 13, 2010 Moderators Posted March 13, 2010 Just tagging on. Why should the choice be limited to one? Why can't we choose them all? The message of the different signs all need to be heard. Back in the 50's, there used to be a series of signs along the road, and then at the very end, it says, "Burma Shave." Why can't a well organized series of messages be done the same way? Quote
Woody Posted March 14, 2010 Author Posted March 14, 2010 WWJD ?? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Gerr Posted March 14, 2010 Moderators Posted March 14, 2010 If Jesus did not want a certain message to be preached, He would not have revealed them. Having said that, it doesn't mean we shouldn't use tact in presenting unpalatable truths. Using truth as a club has been proven ineffective over and over again. Quote
Woody Posted March 14, 2010 Author Posted March 14, 2010 GERRY WOW religous signs like Burma Shave signs hhhmmmmmmmmm dgrimm60 Yes dgrimmm .... hmmmm. I think that idea went out with Burma. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted March 14, 2010 Author Posted March 14, 2010 If Jesus did not want a certain message to be preached, He would not have revealed them. Having said that,it doesn't mean we shouldn't use tact in presenting unpalatable truths. Using truth as a club has been proven ineffective over and over again. First things First. Once one gets to know Jesus ... the unpalatable becomes palatable. So, do we present Jesus or the unpalatable? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted March 14, 2010 Author Posted March 14, 2010 Presenting the Sabbath to someone who is nonconverted ... is just plain backwards. Most view the Sabbath as Jewish and legalistic. They reject legalism and thus will only be turned off with the SEVENTH DAY billboard. The early church started worshipping on Sunday in an attempt to distance themselves from the Jewish system that Jesus rejected. Why would this be attractive to them now unless they see Jesus. Our direction and focus always needs to return to JESUS. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
karl Posted March 14, 2010 Posted March 14, 2010 Presenting the Sabbath to someone who is nonconverted ... is just plain backwards.... [The] focus always needs to return to JESUS. Amen. If you can't make friends with them without the Sabbath, adding it is not going to suddenly tip the balance in your direction. Hiding it doesn't help, though, either. People will eventually ask, and sometimes you have to anticipate their reluctance to ask by breaking the ice for them. "Ever wondered why we're in church on Saturday instead of Sunday? Dya wanna come see what it's like? How bout we trade off going to each other's church? I can get points for bringing you as a visitor. They probably won't give you any points at your church for bringing a low-life like me, but ya never know." Quote
Woody Posted March 14, 2010 Author Posted March 14, 2010 Dear low life ... you bring up some good points. And I will gladly give you the points you deserve. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.