bonnie Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/04/top-officer-iraq-no-fly-zone-applies-to-israeli-jets/ Would the U.S. Shoot Down an Israeli Jet? Top Officer Won’t Say MORGANTOWN, West Virginia — I’m not going to make a big deal of this, although some dug deep in the trenches of the Middle East debate might. But America’s top military officer wouldn’t rule the possibility today of U.S. forces firing on Israeli jets, if Israel launched a pre-emptive strike on Iran. In a town hall on the campus of the University of West Virginia, a young Air Force ROTC cadet asked Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen to respond to a “rumor.” If Israel decided to attack Iran, the speculation went, those jet would need to fly through Iraqi airspace to reach their targets. That airspace is considered a “no-fly” zone by the American military. So might U.S. troops shoot down the Israeli jets, the airmen asked the chairman, if they breached that airspace? Mullen tried to sidestep the question. “We have an exceptionally strong relationship with Israel. I’ve spent a lot of time with my counterpart in Israel. So we also have a very clear understanding of where we are. And beyond that, I just wouldn’t get into the speculation of what might happen and who might do what. I don’t think it serves a purpose, frankly,” he said. “I am hopeful that this will be resolved in a way where we never have to answer a question like that.” The cadet followed-up: “Would an airmen like me ever be ordered to fire on an Israeli – aircraft or personnel?” Mullen’s second answer was much the same as his first. “Again, I wouldn’t move out into the future very far from here. They’re an extraordinarily close ally, have been for a long time, and will be in the future,” the admiral said. Does this represent a shift in American policy towards Israel? Some signal that the U.S. would stop an Israeli first strike at the final moment? Probably not. I’d guess this is Mullen trying not to wade further into treacherous waters. But it was interesting to hear America’s top military officer decline to knock down the idea that U.S. troops might fire on America’s closest ally in the Middle East. Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/04/.../#ixzz0lma1CynY Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Members phkrause Posted April 23, 2010 Members Posted April 23, 2010 My feelings are that I don't think that the US would lift a finger to stop Israel from taking out Iran's nuke's. I think all the talk is just for others to think that the US is against this. But I think we all know that most of the other middle east countries would also like to see this. But all would condemn Israel, including the US for taking out the nuke's. No one can be seem as wanting this. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators John317 Posted April 23, 2010 Moderators Posted April 23, 2010 I'm certain we wouldn't. I know that under President Bush, we probably would have assisted the Israelis, and actually I think we would have done the bombing ourselves. If Israel does it, there's likely to be a war between Israel and their neighbors. If the US did it, I doubt there'd be the same repurcussions. I feel sure that Israel will take out Iran's nuclear facilities in a fairly short time because Israel believes that if they don't, it will be a guarantee of their death as a nation. One nuclear bomb could would wipe out all of Israel, and they also believe that Iran's leaders would do it without much provocation. So I can't see how Israel can be expected to sit by and allow Iran to make a nuclear weapon. That would be like our allowing a hostile Mexico to have nuclear weapons knowing they would use it on us. Look what we did in Cuba in 1961 when the Russians tried to install Nuclear weapons there. We came close to a nuclear exchange over it, and the only reason the Russians "blinked" was that they knew Kennedy was serious and would press the button. Most people don't realize just how close we came. Chillingly close. So if that was our reaction to a Cuba with Nukes, how can we blame Israel if they bomb Iran's nuclear facitilies? Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
bonnie Posted April 23, 2010 Author Posted April 23, 2010 My feelings are that I don't think that the US would lift a finger to stop Israel from taking out Iran's nuke's. I think all the talk is just for others to think that the US is against this. But I think we all know that most of the other middle east countries would also like to see this. But all would condemn Israel, including the US for taking out the nuke's. No one can be seem as wanting this. pk Time will tell Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
CyberGuy Posted April 24, 2010 Posted April 24, 2010 Israel has already bombed a nuclear facility in Syria and destroyed it for the same reasons. No war with Syria or its neighbors. Egypt gets a large 3 Billion dollar a year subsidy from the USA. I doubt Egypt will go to war. Neither will Iraq or Syria or Jordon. Saudi Arabia will condemn it but will secretly applaud it as Iran is a rival Muslim sect called the Sheites. The Saudis are the Sunnis. Quote Riverside CA
Moderators John317 Posted April 24, 2010 Moderators Posted April 24, 2010 Sounds like you have a good argument there, Cyberguy. I sure hope you're right because I feel certain Israel will feel the need to do something pretty soon. :-) Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Members phkrause Posted April 24, 2010 Members Posted April 24, 2010 Israel has already bombed a nuclear facility in Syria and destroyed it for the same reasons. No war with Syria or its neighbors. Egypt gets a large 3 Billion dollar a year subsidy from the USA. I doubt Egypt will go to war. Neither will Iraq or Syria or Jordon. Saudi Arabia will condemn it but will secretly applaud it as Iran is a rival Muslim sect called the Sheites. The Saudis are the Sunnis. And not only Syria, but they did take out something in Iran once before! pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators lazarus Posted April 27, 2010 Moderators Posted April 27, 2010 My feelings are that I don't think that the US would lift a finger to stop Israel from taking out Iran's nuke's. I think all the talk is just for others to think that the US is against this. But I think we all know that most of the other middle east countries would also like to see this. But all would condemn Israel, including the US for taking out the nuke's. No one can be seem as wanting this. pk On the contrary, I think all the Arab countries would would rejoice if Iran got a nuke. Do you really think those countries like to be dominated by the Israeli threat of nuclear annihilation? Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
bonnie Posted April 27, 2010 Author Posted April 27, 2010 Quote: On the contrary, I think all the Arab countries would would rejoice if Iran got a nuke. Do you really think those countries like to be dominated by the Israeli threat of nuclear annihilation? Is Israel threatening other countries not threatening them with nuclear annihilation? Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Moderators lazarus Posted April 27, 2010 Moderators Posted April 27, 2010 If your neighbor has nukes and you don't that's a threat. Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
bonnie Posted April 27, 2010 Author Posted April 27, 2010 If your neighbor has nukes and you don't that's a threat. Not if you leave them alone. Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Moderators lazarus Posted April 27, 2010 Moderators Posted April 27, 2010 There is no guarantee that they will leave you alone. Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
bonnie Posted April 27, 2010 Author Posted April 27, 2010 There is no guarantee that they will leave you alone. So who have they bothered? Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Moderators lazarus Posted April 27, 2010 Moderators Posted April 27, 2010 Only a fool waits until his stronger neighbor bothers him. A wise country prepares to deal with neighbor before he bothers you or a dispute arises. Iran is doing what other Middle Eastern countries would love to do. When Iran gets there it will only be a matter of time. Iran is simply protecting its interests. Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Members phkrause Posted April 27, 2010 Members Posted April 27, 2010 Only a fool waits until his stronger neighbor bothers him. I agree Originally Posted By: lazarus A wise country prepares to deal with neighbor before he bothers you or a dispute arises. Again I agree. Israel has been doing this for some 50 years now! On both these above points. Originally Posted By: lazarus Iran is doing what other Middle Eastern countries would love to do. I agree, but I think they are all worried more about Iran than they are Israel. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.