Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

Posted

On Facebook I saw that some of my friends had joined a group called, "This is the US, I shouldn't have to press 1 for English!". In a search I found quite a few similar groups and pages. Of course, most of the people who join these groups think that English is the official language of the United States, and that only illegal immigrants don't know English, and that if they moved to a foreign country they would instantly learn the popular language (never mind that it takes years to learn most languages fluently).

The ignorance and intolerance is astounding. It's not illegal to not know English. It's certainly useful and of course I think immigrants should try to learn it, but it's not a requirement for living here. It would also be good for Americans to learn other languages. Only knowing English is not something to brag about.

I think we should all learn to communicate with each other. But not necessarily by learning English or Spanish. How about Esperanto? :D

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Posted

On Facebook I saw that some of my friends had joined a group called, "This is the US, I shouldn't have to press 1 for English!". In a search I found quite a few similar groups and pages. Of course, most of the people who join these groups think that English is the official language of the United States, and that only illegal immigrants don't know English, and that if they moved to a foreign country they would instantly learn the popular language (never mind that it takes years to learn most languages fluently).

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

America is the great melting pot and I think we do need one common language for the purpose of mass education, military defense and interaction with the government on various levels. However there are many advantages to a multiple-language society. When I learned Spanish a whole new world opened before me. There were songs I understood, books that I could read, people that I could visit with and places I could go that were closed off to me before.

Americans should have to pass a foreign language test before graduating high school. We should be able to speak at least one other language fluently and have conversational skills in an additional one. Of course, in the part of the world we live in, Spanish, French and Portuguese are going to be the three most useful for most people.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com 

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Posted

All fine and dandy, Shane, but cultures - like individuals - want to be the "top dog", unless a law is passed to fundamentaly cut that off before it gets started.

I see no problem with promoting learning languages other than English. Some are quite useful...I even learned a few myself. I remain convinced this country needs to have English as the official language

Spanish (southern border states)

French (states bordering Quebec)

Chinese (business and trade with China, intelligence)

Portuguese (business and trade with Brazil)

Any of the major dialects of Hindi (business and trade with India)

Russian (business and trade with Russia, intelligence)

And the list goes on. Mine covers the basics of most trading circuits in the world today.

However, if one wants to ponder the glories of a multilanguage culture, then there must be either 1) one designated as the official language for business and government operations (the option most countries choose), or 2) pick the major two or three, then divide up the country into zones where a particular language is the lingua franca of the zone (the Switzerland solution).

However, the lack of assimilation these days is a matter of unwillingness, rather than the inability. Where people are unwilling, there will be no easy solution, as they are purposefully championing their own language/culture over that of the country they are in. There is no vested interest in many immigrant groups around the world to adopt the language and customs of the country they move into...so it's not just a southern US issue. Serbia has the same issue with Albanians migrating into their country.

This problem is found in every area in the world where there have been large scale people movements in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Food for thought

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Posted

Non-English-speaking people don't have to get out, but they have no right to have US citizens, and especially government, cater to them. If businesses find that it helps their sales to have interpreters or bilingual employees, fine. They are welcome to do whatever benefits them. But there is no reason for taxpayers to go to extra expense to accomodate those who do not learn the English language.

Posted

The problem is ... if we had to wait for the list of all the languages of the world's options ... we would fall asleep before we got to the language of our choice. And we would never be able to complete our phone call.

Ah yes ... Finally ... I can press 589. But wait ... does the phone have a number for 589?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...