Stan Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 One of my facebook friends commented on a comment I made. that kicked in another thought. IN looking over about 30 couples, I found that most of the ones who had one or both partners who did not go to university or college are still together. WHEN both did, the divorce rate is very hight. Does anyone else have this experience? I am NOT SAYING people should not get more education. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Dr. Shane Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 Neither of my parents went to college and they got divorced. My mother had five husbands and none of them went to college. Of course that is just anecdotal. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
GreatLakesGramma Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 I have a college degree, and my husband has a 2 year certificate from Union College's technical school. We've been married for over 30 years now. But we are a rarity to our non-Adventist acquaintances. My college best friend told me a few years ago that I am the only one of her college friends who has not divorced. Both of my sisters have been divorced, and neither has a college degree. They just made bad choices in husbands. And before any of the men here accuse me of gender bias, one sister's first husband left her for another woman, and her second husband was a dangerous drunk. The other sister's husband was immature and irresponsible, and he was driving her deeper and deeper in debt. She left him to try to shock him into reforming, but he promptly found another woman to support him. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Dottie Posted July 10, 2010 Posted July 10, 2010 I married my first husband after completing 2 1/2 years of college--left for safety's sake. He still hasn't finished high school. I then finished college, married a man with a Masters' degree; we've been married 36 years. As Shane said, "anecdotal." Quote
olger Posted July 10, 2010 Posted July 10, 2010 I am a high school drop out. Kant hardly spel real gud neither. Nevertheles, happily married..so the "Jensen Theory" (as it is destined to be called) is still intact. Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Guest Posted July 10, 2010 Posted July 10, 2010 I think there may be something to the Jensen theory..... Quote
olger Posted July 10, 2010 Posted July 10, 2010 We'll get a grant, research it from Prague and Bergen, Norway. Have T-shirts printed. Working on a theme song as we speak.. og Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Moderators Nan Posted July 10, 2010 Moderators Posted July 10, 2010 Interested in the Tshirts Olger.....guess I support the Stanerism too. My first husband and I both have medical degrees...that lasted 25 years till he moved in with someone else. Sammy has a theology degree and we are going fine. I have 4 siblings, 3 of whom are married. The 2 without tertiary qualifications are still married to their original spouse....the one with the PhD has been married twice (second one who also has PhD)and that marriage is strong. Just possibly we would need a few more cases to achieve statistical significance :) Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted July 10, 2010 Moderators Posted July 10, 2010 I have 3 degrees, up to PhD, and my Suzie has 2 degrees and a graduate certificate. We're 23 years in and blissfully, blissfully happy. Quote Truth is important
Moderators Nan Posted July 10, 2010 Moderators Posted July 10, 2010 That sort of story ...which is the best....is why a few more cases are needed before Stan can publish his Ism..... Maybe the PhD is the trick, my sister and her husband both achieved theirs well into their marriage..... Quote
Moderators Gerr Posted July 10, 2010 Moderators Posted July 10, 2010 I have a college and grad school degree. My wife has a 2-yr college degree. After 42 yrs, we're still going. Our son has a PhD & our daughter-in-law a masters degree. So far so good after 11 yrs. Quote
Stan Posted July 10, 2010 Author Posted July 10, 2010 it would be interesting to do a real study on this for people who were married between 1970-1975 and PLEASE I am not against education, doing a neutral free observation NOT trying to grind an axe. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Stan Posted July 10, 2010 Author Posted July 10, 2010 it would also be interesting on what kind of degrees. I remember one study at the University of Calgary that showed that engineer types felt the most guilt when they were sexually active with various partners and artists were the opposite. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Stan Posted July 11, 2010 Author Posted July 11, 2010 Interested in the Tshirts Olger.....guess I support the Stanerism too. My first husband and I both have medical degrees...that lasted 25 years till he moved in with someone else. Sammy has a theology degree and we are going fine. I have 4 siblings, 3 of whom are married. The 2 without tertiary qualifications are still married to their original spouse....the one with the PhD has been married twice (second one who also has PhD)and that marriage is strong. Just possibly we would need a few more cases to achieve statistical significance Nan, trust me 100% on this, no matter who he hooked up with, it was a downgrade. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Stan Posted July 11, 2010 Author Posted July 11, 2010 I have known you online for several years, and have met you in person, I know what I speaketh about Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Stan Posted July 11, 2010 Author Posted July 11, 2010 Quakers? Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Stan Posted July 11, 2010 Author Posted July 11, 2010 Quakers? I have 3 degrees, up to PhD, and my Suzie has 2 degrees and a graduate certificate. We're 23 years in and blissfully, blissfully happy. TIC I have so much respect for her. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Members phkrause Posted July 11, 2010 Members Posted July 11, 2010 Quakers? Originally Posted By: Bravus I have 3 degrees, up to PhD, and my Suzie has 2 degrees and a graduate certificate. We're 23 years in and blissfully, blissfully happy. TIC I have so much respect for her. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Bravus Posted July 11, 2010 Moderators Posted July 11, 2010 Oh, she's an extremely special lady, all right, and I give thanks for her every day - and tell her so. Quote Truth is important
nuff sed Posted July 11, 2010 Posted July 11, 2010 I have B.A. Religion and M.Ed.in Education My wife has B.A. Elem. Education and quit halfway through her M.Ed. studies to raise our children and never got back to it. Our son has RN/ AS in Nursing BA-Theology and M.Div. Daughter has RN/B.S.in nursing. We have been married 55+ years. Did we do something wrong???? Nuff sed Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 12, 2010 Members Posted July 12, 2010 My mom had a high school education and my dad had his PhD. They had been happily married for 53 years until the death of my dad. My grandparents only had an 8th grade education, but they had a long and happy marriage. (Of course, back then, an 8th grade education taught a lot more) I have my Masters degree and Rudy only went to Obedience school. We got along great until he died when he was 10. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Outta Here Posted July 12, 2010 Posted July 12, 2010 Here's some more light on the subject: http://www.russellsage.org/publications/workingpapers/divorcedivide/document Quote
LifeHiscost Posted July 14, 2010 Posted July 14, 2010 I am a high school drop out. Kant hardly spel real gud neither. And your Grammar isn't all that good either. 'Course maybe that's because of your Grampa didn't do so well in school. teehe Quote Lift Jesus up!!
LifeHiscost Posted July 14, 2010 Posted July 14, 2010 I have 3 degrees, up to PhD, and my Suzie has 2 degrees and a graduate certificate. We're 23 years in and blissfully, blissfully happy. I have a third degree in God's grace, and both we mates have that bliss, although at times the housecleaning I'm responsible for, stretches to the limit the grace my spouse has received. "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?"Matthew 5:44-46 NKJV We're both till struggling with the tax collector. Regards! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.