Woody Posted July 18, 2010 Posted July 18, 2010 And I ain't talkin' just about the organization. What about we ourselves and our homes. Check this out: http://vitality.yahoo.com/video-second-act-jay-shafer-20910192 Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted July 19, 2010 Members Posted July 19, 2010 And I ain't talkin' just about the organization. What about we ourselves and our homes. Check this out: http://vitality.yahoo.com/video-second-act-jay-shafer-20910192 Well that's interesting, that's for sure. I know that this is what God wants for me and my family. When I was laid off 2 1/2 years ago I think that's what he was telling us. But of course we've been fighting him every step of the way. So as the months went by I'd tell him that if this is the case that he needs to get a little louder and give us a real sign. Well 3 months ago he allowed my wife to hurt her back, they are telling her that she will never be able to work as a nurse again. At least the care that she's used to giving the patients. So I think he is inclined to get us to downsize for sure. :) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members phkrause Posted July 19, 2010 Members Posted July 19, 2010 PKRAUSE SORRY to hear about your wife with her bad back dgrimm60 Thanks dgrimm, the great part is God has been taking care of us despite ourselves. :) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
SivartM Posted July 19, 2010 Posted July 19, 2010 Thanks for posting this video, Woody. I love his house! I've actually thought about living in a tiny house when I am of the house-owning age. It would be really cool. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Outta Here Posted July 19, 2010 Posted July 19, 2010 I'm surprised the man uses a full-size laptop and not a netbook; also, his hair is taking up a lot of space. Interestingly enough, I don't think Jesus even had 89 square feet of *house*. Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted July 19, 2010 Posted July 19, 2010 I couldn't watch it. I hate streaming video. It constantly starts and stops for me. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Liz Posted July 19, 2010 Posted July 19, 2010 The video wouldn't work for me. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Moderators Gerr Posted July 19, 2010 Moderators Posted July 19, 2010 Yeah, I'd like to downsize too, but where will I put my stereo? (For optimal sound it has to have minimum room dimensions.) The washer & dryer? Piano? My books? These alone would fill up his 89 sq ft home. Oh, and the hot tub! Yeah, the hot tub! And where will I put that kitchen island the wife wants? And Subzero fridge! Quote
Liz Posted July 19, 2010 Posted July 19, 2010 I finally got it by going through a different browser. Anyways, I love the tiny houses; unfortunately I can't really see raising kids in them, but it would be great as a single or a married couple. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Moderators Gerr Posted July 19, 2010 Moderators Posted July 19, 2010 PS If I showed you a picture of me, I don't think you'll see much to downsize! And downsize the church? And who do you want to get rid off? The pro-WO? The pro-anything-goes? All those with brown eyes? Quote
aldona Posted July 19, 2010 Posted July 19, 2010 PS If I showed you a picture of me, I don't think you'll see much to downsize! And downsize the church? And who do you want to get rid off? The pro-WO? The pro-anything-goes? All those with brown eyes? based on what I have read on another thread here, pretty soon those of us who do not toe the party line on each and every point will be "shaken out", whether we like it or not. AJ Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
GreatLakesGramma Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 A house that size would be fine for a single person who doesn't cook or have any hobbies that require some kind of equipment. It would never work for a family, or even for a single person whose aim is self-sufficiency. No room in there either to prepare or to store your own home-grown produce, or for a sewing machine, ironing board, and all the tools for sewing. And forget about doing strength training. There wouldn't be enough floor space to spread your workout mat and do your crunches and push-ups without bumping your elbows and feet into things, nor anyplace to keep your dumbbells. Forget about inviting anybody over after church either. No room to be hospitable to visitors to your church in that house! Or to house the grandchildren for an overnight visit. In fact, forget about having the grandchildren over at all, unless it's good weather so you can spend the entire day outside. They'd be climbing the walls in that house, and so would Grandma! If it works for him, fine, but it isn't practical for anybody that has any kind of home life. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
SivartM Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 It looked like there was enough room for most of those things; food, a workout mat, and there were several chairs for visitors. Were you able to see the video? Also, the bed was probably big enough for five people. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 20, 2010 Members Posted July 20, 2010 I don't think 5 people could fit into that bed unless they were packed like sardines. And what about A/C ...I bet the upstairs would be sweltering in the summer, depending on where you live. Reminds me of an old Dial soap commercial, "I use Dial...don't you wish everybody would?" I agree with GLG, Quote: If it works for him, fine, but it isn't practical for anybody that has any kind of home life. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
SivartM Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 Each to their own, I guess. I still like small houses. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
GreatLakesGramma Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 No, I couldn't watch the video. But I tried again just now and it worked this time. My son must not be doing anything online right now. I see that the bed is built as a loft, so if you counted that as a second story, his square footage would be greater. But there is no room in that kitchen for canning equipment or a year's supply of canned and frozen produce, or even a full size refrigerator. And no room for making bread or other baked goods, and maybe not enough space in the oven to bake either, from the looks of it. The seating would never accommodate all of my children and grandchildren at the same time. Nor does it look like there's room to arrange a sewing area for maximum efficiency. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
GreatLakesGramma Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 I should add that that house is too dark and confined for me to live in it and keep my sanity. And I mean that literally. I need light and space, and openness. I could survive in a house that size only so long as the weather would allow me to spend most of my time outside. But that just plain doesn't happen where I live. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Outta Here Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 Been thinking about this. This is 89 square feet per person--doubled because he uses a loft. That's 178 square feet of usable space per person. We have a family of four. To live as comfortably as this single man, we'd need a house with 712 square feet of usable space. If we took out the computer room in our house that's almost exactly what we have. I think he could do with some more downsizing, personally. That's almost too much space for one person alone. He should try one of these: Quote
olger Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 5221 ft² and we use it for the Lord. Next thing you know people will be beating themselves ala Luther. og Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Moderators Gerr Posted July 20, 2010 Moderators Posted July 20, 2010 But downsizing is better than being told that if you want to live Christ's life, you've got to not downsize but sell everything you have? Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 That depends on who is doing the telling. If it's God, whatever He calls you to do is always going to be the very best thing for you to do. But if someone else is telling you that you should do it, they are treading where they have no business to go. I know that for me personally, in order to fulfill God's calling on my life, I need to stay right where I am now. When the time comes that He calls me elsewhere, I will gladly go and not look back. I would love to downsize in a big way, though not to the extent that young man has. But so long as I continue to be married to a pack rat, it's out of my hands. I can not live in a shoebox house with my husband and all the stuff he won't part with. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Woody Posted July 20, 2010 Author Posted July 20, 2010 Well GLG ... I'm sorry you live with a rat. But the more I hear about this husband of your's ... the more I like him. Regarding living the life of Christ .... I agree it depends upon whom is telling you to sell and give to the poor. {looking this way and that way for Rob} Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
GreatLakesGramma Posted July 20, 2010 Posted July 20, 2010 Woody, my husband is worth putting up with all his shortcomings, and best of all, he tolerates mine and loves me anyway. I think you and he would be friends if you met. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Woody Posted July 20, 2010 Author Posted July 20, 2010 Woody, my husband is worth putting up with all his shortcomings, and best of all, he tolerates mine and loves me anyway. I think you and he would be friends if you met. TU Woody likes very much. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
GreatLakesGramma Posted July 21, 2010 Posted July 21, 2010 Before this thread fades into oblivion, I want to say one more thing. What that young man said about his reason for choosing the way he likes is the same way I feel. I long for a simpler, uncluttered life, free from the need for so much money just to keep going. But the way it would work for me is different than what works for him. For me, it would be manifested in self-sufficiency: growing most of my own food, installing renewable energy & getting off the grid, making my own clothing, spending time enjoying nature, and teaching my grandchildren to love it too. I would need room for processing and storing my own produce, for my sewing and knitting equipment, my gardening tools, etc. There are also a few non-essentials I wouldn't part with, like the heirlooms that will pass to me, as the oldest daughter of an oldest daughter, for however many generations they have been passed down. My mother doesn't know, and neither did her mother. That is my heritage, to pass down to my own daughter and her oldest daughter after her. So I would need more room that that young man has, but the ultimate effect in my life would be the same as his choices yield in his life. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.