Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Should we bring guns in Church?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I would not feel safe in church if someone I don't know was carrying around a gun... the could be homicidal for all I know.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Posted

I don't understand your second poll. Are you asking do we believe that they occur? Or are you asking if they should be performed?

As for having guns in church, no I don't think they belong there.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

  • Moderators
Posted

For what reasons should anyone have to bring a gun to church? Guard the offering?

  • Moderators
Posted

An armed church is a polite church? bwink

I can see disputes in the lesson study getting a whole lot more exciting...

Truth is important

Posted

For what reasons should anyone have to bring a gun to church? Guard the offering?

One reason would be to defend yourself. There have been a number of church killings in recent years.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

QR frame:

So..., wonder who it was that held on to St Peter's sword when he was

'in church'?

Then again, guns in the holsters of those frazzled by BORING! services -

might be cause for some concern. :(

Posted

LOL Good Point jasd

But experience has shown that those frazzled by a boring sermon are less likely to shoot a defenseless woman pastor compared to a man. This brings us motivation and justification to have more women pastors. HA HA HA.

LOL

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

A non-descriminating gun toter would shoot a woman paster just as quick as he would a male pastor. Anything else would be unfair, and prejudiced. Boorish even.

Posted

>>This brings us motivation and justification to have more women pastors. HA HA HA.<<

Be askeered of the quick wit. orly

  • Members
Posted

Back in the '60's, the Youth Dept of my church had charge of the worship service. We decided to see what would happen if we turned it into "this is the day the police will come and get you if you're an Adventist." We had men standing in the back doorways of the sanctuary with rifles and in uniform. No one else in the congregation was in on the plan. Some members got up and tried to leave, but they were blocked. Panic ensued. It was very interesting, as I recall.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

  • Members
Posted

read some where about bring a two edged sword.... is that the same?

I believe this would be our tongues! LOL

I think as we enter the sanctuary we should leave our tongues at the front door. :)

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Quote:
I think as we enter the sanctuary we should leave our tongues at the front door. :

HA HA. Good one there pk. And I'm sure the pastors would agree. For they would love to have the first and last word.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

I am sure there are a lot of guns in church in Texas. We have a lot of people that have concealed handgun permits and they are not forbidden from carrying in church.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com 

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Posted

I am sure there are a lot of guns in church in Texas. We have a lot of people that have concealed handgun permits and they are not forbidden from carrying in church.

That's kind of what I figure too, Shane, I have seen lots of rifles in the parking lot.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Posted

I was taken by surprise last week after an AA meeting I was talking to a friend in the parking lot and he took out his .45 and put it in his vehicle. He was going to the VA and cannot carry in a federal facility. To him it was a casual matter like taking off his watch.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com 

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Posted

Even the pastors are toting in Texas. North Carolina too. You don't want to fall asleep on em. Especially if you're near the front row.

  • Moderators
Posted

Worked with a Pastor who used to pastor in Tennessee. He was a Baptist Pastor before he converted to Adventism. He took out his loaded revolver during a sermon and pointed it at one of his sleeping deacons and loudly called his name. He was subsequently fired from that church.

He is no longer an SDA Pastor by the way.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Posted

Worked with a Pastor who used to pastor in Tennessee. He was a Baptist Pastor before he converted to Adventism. He took out his loaded revolver during a sermon and pointed it at one of his sleeping deacons and loudly called his name. He was subsequently fired from that church.

He is no longer an SDA Pastor by the way.

In retrospect, that's funny!!!Talk about slain in the spirit!
Posted
Even the pastors are toting in Texas. North Carolina too. You don't want to fall asleep on em. Especially if you're near the front row.
If things get much worse here at CA I'm gonna have to go over to Bonnie's house to post!
  • Moderators
Posted

He's a colorful character. He once prayed for the husband of a church member who was treating her badly. The husband died the next day!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Posted
He's a colorful character. He once prayed for the husband of a church member who was treating her badly. The husband died the next day!
That seems much more effective than the gun approach. This guy coulda had a real powerful marriage ministry. I'd consider sending my tithe to support someone who could "motivate" husbands like that.Such potential wasted!
Posted

Originally Posted By: Richard Holbrook
Even the pastors are toting in Texas. North Carolina too. You don't want to fall asleep on em. Especially if you're near the front row.
If things get much worse here at CA I'm gonna have to go over to Bonnie's house to post!

It is every man/woman for themselves.::)))

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

  • Moderators
Posted

Even the pastors are toting in Texas. North Carolina too. You don't want to fall asleep on em. Especially if you're near the front row.

One shot would certainly keep everybody awake!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...