Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted November 8, 2010 Members Posted November 8, 2010 Southern Student Selected as a Jeopardy contestant! Southern University is a Seventh-day Adventist University. By the age of 7, Hans von Walter, a junior biochemistry major, decided he wanted to be a contestant on Jeopardy!, the number one rated quiz show in syndication. On September 23 during Hans’ biochemistry lab, he was informed that his dream would now become a reality. “When my phone lit up during lab, I knew the number was from California,” says Hans. “I was 99 percent sure I had been selected as a Jeopardy! contestant. I was in complete and utter shock.” Hans is the first student to represent the university on the popular game show. “The fact that I’m representing Southern puts a lot of pressure on me,” says Hans, “but it also gives me a sense of pride in knowing that I am well prepared.” In preparation for the competition, Hans watched Jeopardy! every evening while running in the Hulsey Wellness Center. He also took online Jeopardy! quizzes and replied to random trivia text messages sent by friends. Yet, Hans’ preparation for the Jeopardy! competition began long before he was selected as a contestant. During his eighth grade year, Hans represented his home state of Florida in the Geography Bee by making it all the way to Nationals where Alex Trebek hosted the competition. While he successfully participated in other trivia game challenges throughout his high school years, Hans’ involvement in Southern’s annual college bowl competition also played an important role in his journey to the Jeopardy! stage. Hans’ team won the college bowl competition his freshman year and came in second place his sophomore year. “I really appreciate that Southern provides the college bowl competitions,” says Hans. “The competitions have been the major factor in keeping my interest in trivia alive.” The Jeopardy! episode featuring Hans will air on Tuesday, November 9, during the show’s College Championship weeks. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Moderators Gerr Posted November 8, 2010 Moderators Posted November 8, 2010 I don't watch the show, but when is he scheduled to appear? Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted November 8, 2010 Author Members Posted November 8, 2010 He's supposed to be on TV tomorrow night (Tuesday night - or whenever Jeopardy is seen where you are. It's on the ABC network.) Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Members phkrause Posted November 8, 2010 Members Posted November 8, 2010 I don't either but will try and catch it. Like Gerry, it be great to know when he will be on. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted November 12, 2010 Moderators Posted November 12, 2010 I caught part of the show but had to leave to go to a committee meeting halfway through. Anybody know how he did? Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
Moderators Gerr Posted November 12, 2010 Moderators Posted November 12, 2010 He did well but not well enough to go to the next round. He got $17,000 though. Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted November 12, 2010 Author Members Posted November 12, 2010 He might have won enough to get him into the finals...I think there are 2 "wild card" spots. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Members abelisle Posted November 13, 2010 Members Posted November 13, 2010 He made it. Good for him. Quote We are our worst enemy - sad but true. http://abelisle.blogspot.com
Members phkrause Posted November 13, 2010 Members Posted November 13, 2010 I just now realized that the show he will be on is in the title of the thread. DAH, where's my brain, Oh yea when I sit down that reminds me of where its at. :) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted November 13, 2010 Author Members Posted November 13, 2010 I just now realized that the show he will be on is in the title of the thread. DAH, where's my brain, Oh yea when I sit down that reminds me of where its at. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted November 13, 2010 Posted November 13, 2010 Quote: I just now realized that the show he will be on is in the title of the thread. Pk my friend. You are REALLY slippin' or sippin' not sure which. But it's not WILL be on ... but WAS on. :) Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted November 13, 2010 Members Posted November 13, 2010 Quote: I just now realized that the show he will be on is in the title of the thread. Pk my friend. You are REALLY slippin' or sippin' not sure which. But it's not WILL be on ... but WAS on. Thanks for that Woody. LOL So where have you been lately? Have missed you. Hope that all is well. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted November 13, 2010 Author Members Posted November 13, 2010 But didn't abelisle just say that the student is in the finals?? I think (not sure though), that those programs will be aired next week. Now, if we can *just* get pk to stand up... (Woody, I just now caught on to the "slippin'/sippin''...you're too quick on the draw for me sometimes.. LOL) Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.