Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Sinserity from God's POV


Recommended Posts

Posted

My parents are not Christians. I'd classify them as agnostics. They do believe in higher power, and to my surprise do fallow superstition at times likewise... I.E. they do visit orthodox church now and then to put up a candle to St. Nicolas for my protection. I certainly do appreciate the gesture, although I doubt that it has some real effect.

Well, after this short intro. Here's the point of discussion.

Sincerity is defined as the virtue of one who speaks and acts truly about his or her own feelings, thoughts, and desires.

I do hear quite a bit about people who act against their convictions of the truth and thus deserve punishment, but what about those who are not so convicted? I do understand that the argument does not fly well in context of the law. I.E., legally the only differential limit is the line that the law sets. People who cross it are guilty.

Yet, Christianity does deviate from the legal ideals. It states that people who sincerely believe and want to be changed will be saved in spite of their actions(prior or following)... unless they keep willfully committing something questionable... i.e. steal, drink, eat pork, or break the Sabbath. I.E. A Christian who tells an unintentional lie does not constitute to be "out of the deal". Sometimes, that seem to go for Christians who devolve into homosexuality and theft... as long as they sincerely come back to the repentance and obedience.

Now, in instance of people who are not convicted that Christianity is a way to go, like my parents, why would God punish them for being sincere about the evidence that they've received and act based on their convictions?

I.E. you can't really tell the difference between my parents and any ordinary Christian to my best knowledge. I.E. the only difference is the religious aspect. They can't believe something they find unbelievable.

If there is a just God, can he honestly condemn such people to second resurrection and subsequent burning in such a way that "they feel the pain until the last inch of flesh is consumed" (paraphrased)? I mean, we would not do this to the worst of human beings. Such torture would be beyond cruel... no matter what a person has done.

Yet, how is it that people would believe that God would put billions of people to death in such a way for none other reason than sincerely acting on their convictions? Now, I'm not talking about murder or theft here. I'm talking about something that even Christians would consider "petty crimes".

For example... no matter how terrible and hopeless of a person that Charlie Sheen may be, I'd hardly consider him unable to change in light of eternity of possible guidance.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...