Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Posted April 8, 2011 What did David say he could not stop thinking about? ( and no it was not WOMEN. Don't feel this is 'theological' but then they seem to be banishing things from townhall. And while it should be considered 'religious' ... there ain't no religious forum to put it in ... so here it lies. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Gerr Posted April 8, 2011 Moderators Posted April 8, 2011 ESV | Ec 11:3 If the clouds are full of rain, they empty themselves on the earth, and if a tree falls to the south or to the north, in the place where the tree falls, there it will lie. Quote
Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Author Posted April 8, 2011 ESV | Ec 11:3 If the clouds are full of rain, they empty themselves on the earth, and if a tree falls to the south or to the north, in the place where the tree falls, there it will lie. So your answer would be he could not stop thinking of trees? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Author Posted April 8, 2011 Okay ... just playing with you Gerry. No offense intended. But could you further explain your answer? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
teresaq Posted April 8, 2011 Posted April 8, 2011 It seems to me it was the goodness of God, Woody, which would make it religious... Quote facebook. /teresa.quintero.790
Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Author Posted April 8, 2011 I agree teresa. But can you go further and expound on what the goodness of God is? OR where it is found? And can you give an example in scripture? PS. I don't want to lead anyone astray on this question. I have a Bible verse in mind. And it does not specifically say the goodness of God. But one might consider it to have the goodness of God in it. Keep guessing Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
teresaq Posted April 8, 2011 Posted April 8, 2011 Wow! Tall order...but no, I do not know the verse you have in mind. A verse on God's goodness, and the example below, 5And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. 6And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, 7Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation. 2 Chronicles 33:1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty and five years in Jerusalem: 2 Kings 21:16 Moreover Manasseh shed innocent blood very much, till he had filled Jerusalem from one end to another; beside his sin wherewith he made Judah to sin, in doing that which was evil in the sight of the LORD. 2 Chronicles 33:12And when he was in affliction, he besought the LORD his God, and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers, 13And prayed unto him: and he was intreated of him, and heard his supplication, and brought him again to Jerusalem into his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the LORD he was God. Quote facebook. /teresa.quintero.790
Administrators Gail Posted April 8, 2011 Administrators Posted April 8, 2011 Off the top of my head, I would say the law of God, on which he meditated day and night... But hang on, let me check that reference: Quote: Psalm 119:97O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day. I think about that and how David would do that, and other people in times since have tried to do away with the law. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Author Posted April 8, 2011 This is where David says he could not stop thinking about this one thing in particular. I don't mean to confuse you about 'goodness'. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
teresaq Posted April 8, 2011 Posted April 8, 2011 His sin with Bathsheba comes to mind... Quote facebook. /teresa.quintero.790
teresaq Posted April 8, 2011 Posted April 8, 2011 I think about how hard that is to do!! As well as meditating on the life of Christ!! It seems I can do it for a second or two then I'm distracted by something... Quote facebook. /teresa.quintero.790
Moderators John317 Posted April 8, 2011 Moderators Posted April 8, 2011 Psalm 51:3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. This is hyperbole. We need to remember that we're reading poetry, not autobiography. It doesn't mean that every second of his life after that, he was thinking about his sin with Bathsheba. It has to be considered along with some other verses: Psalm 119:93 I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life. David said he would never forget God's precepts, yet he himself wrote of the times when he did forget them. But the important thing is that David sincerely and honestly repented and asked for forgiveness of his transgressions. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Author Posted April 8, 2011 Leave it to John. I will share with you my texts: "Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long" Psalms 119:97 and "They are constantly in my thoughts. I cannot stop thinking about them." Psalms 77:12 Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
teresaq Posted April 8, 2011 Posted April 8, 2011 Oh, ok. But His law and "goodness" do go hand in hand. :) Quote facebook. /teresa.quintero.790
Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Author Posted April 8, 2011 Yes Teresa. That was what I was trying to say without giving the answer away. :) Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted April 8, 2011 Administrators Posted April 8, 2011 Leave it to John. I will share with you my texts: "Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long" Psalms 119:97 and "They are constantly in my thoughts. I cannot stop thinking about them." Psalms 77:12 No, that wasn't John. That might have been moi... Read back a bit Here's another one- a description of a man blessed: Quote: Psalm 1:2But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. I just find that thought fascinating. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Author Posted April 8, 2011 Quote: No, that wasn't John. That might have been moi... Read back a bit I did. And it was still John317 who got the prize. Who is moi ? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted April 8, 2011 Administrators Posted April 8, 2011 Moi is me :) Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted April 8, 2011 Author Posted April 8, 2011 Moi is me Oh MY !!! I am sorry Gail. I missed your post and don't know how I did that. Congratulations. Edit: Now I see why I missed your post. It timed in at the exact time as my post below yours. Whoops Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted April 9, 2011 Administrators Posted April 9, 2011 Okay, tell me this: Why was the "law" such a delight to the psalmist? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted April 9, 2011 Author Posted April 9, 2011 Okay, tell me this: Why was the "law" such a delight to the psalmist? The Law reflects our maker. So of course it would be a delight. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
teresaq Posted April 9, 2011 Posted April 9, 2011 If we see our Maker in it...and if we are thinking of the 10 commandments, instead of the many and various, sometimes unspoken but nevertheless quite real, rules we have picked up since childhood imposed on us, and that we too often impose on others. ...which then cause us to be like the Jews during the seige of Jerusalem (and before)--convinced that we are the people of the law while breaking them, both in spirit and literally... :( Quote facebook. /teresa.quintero.790
Administrators Gail Posted April 10, 2011 Administrators Posted April 10, 2011 Which is a good reason to always come to our Father as a little child- so that He can teach us more of Him. It just gets better!!! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
miz3 Posted April 10, 2011 Posted April 10, 2011 Thanks to Woody and all the others I got a real blessing from this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By saying that I do not mean we should stop commenting or studying this more. Please go on this is good. In fact we study too little the Law of God and therefore we know too little of God which is very bad for us. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.