Stan Posted April 9, 2011 Posted April 9, 2011 In some parts of the adventist world there is panic if someone mentions Spiritual Formation. Some seem ready to pick up sticks and stones and 'take care of business' What is the issues? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_formation Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Daryl Posted April 9, 2011 Posted April 9, 2011 Hasn't this ever been discussed here previously? Just wondering as there are more than one thread about this over at Maritime. Quote In His Love, Mercy & Grace Daryl http://www.maritime-sda-online.com https://www.pugwashsdachurch.org/media?page=1&sort_by=Date&is_ascending=0&search=&tags=&presenter=
cricket Posted April 10, 2011 Posted April 10, 2011 You're probably well-versed with the issues then, Daryl. What are some of the issues; why would some parts of the Adventist world express concern at the mention of Spiritual Formation? Get the conversation started. Quote
Woody Posted April 10, 2011 Posted April 10, 2011 Good one cricket. I would have to wonder what would be wrong with having a formation of spirituality or spiritual things. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Overaged Posted April 10, 2011 Posted April 10, 2011 You're probably well-versed with the issues then, Daryl. What are some of the issues; why would some parts of the Adventist world express concern at the mention of Spiritual Formation? Get the conversation started. It would depend on which version of "spiritual formation" we are talking about. Stan; I am wondering if you by chance can elaborate on some of the things you mentioned as in people not being too receptive to this? Can you cite any specific beliefs or practices being objected to? Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Administrators Gail Posted April 10, 2011 Administrators Posted April 10, 2011 Probably the ones objected to that are focused on with the current Emerging Church movement. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Administrators Gail Posted April 10, 2011 Administrators Posted April 10, 2011 Today I am reading "Spiritual Disciplines" by Oswald Chambers and that book I would recommend, although it is a bit old school (perhaps that is what I like about it). He has some deep thoughts about growing in God and his ideas may surprise you, but I find that those people I know who (I feel) have a close relationship with God would agree. For example- that the discipline of Scripture: For the regular person, the Bible is just another book. When someone is converted, the Holy Spirit opens up his understanding and the spiritually discerned becomes meaningful. The Bible becomes a fresh new world- a revelation of God to him. Chambers goes one step further- That what we learn of God through Scripture takes on deeper meaning through the trials that we experience. Some concepts we can not fully grasp until we have been tried with fire. To me, that is the stuff of life. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Daryl Posted April 10, 2011 Posted April 10, 2011 Here is the link to the relevant portion of an audio conference with Pastor Rick Howard: https://www.freeconferencing.com/playbac...67-17-65-67.mp3 Pastor Rick Howard wrote the book "The Omega Rebellion" that would be worth reading. Quote In His Love, Mercy & Grace Daryl http://www.maritime-sda-online.com https://www.pugwashsdachurch.org/media?page=1&sort_by=Date&is_ascending=0&search=&tags=&presenter=
WayneV Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 In some parts of the adventist world there is panic if someone mentions Spiritual Formation. Some seem ready to pick up sticks and stones and 'take care of business' What is the issues? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_formation Stan, I really like the following. Mulholland defines spiritual formation as “a process of being conformed to the image of Christ for the sake of others” (15). Mulholland, Robert M., Jr. Invitation to a Journey: A Roadmap for Spiritual Formation . Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1993. Quote WayneV Just remember these words of warning, for they will come to pass all too soon: If you are ever flying through the desert and your canoe breaks down, remember that it takes three pancakes to lift the doghouse, because there ain't nary a bone in ice cream!
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.