IreneFaye Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 Well, this is the question I've been questioning myself for quite a while. So, I have a hobby to write (not in english--since as far as you can see, you could guess that my english writing skill is not that good). But, I write fantasy. And I'd say I'm quite good at it since I got a lot of good responce for it and my story fans keep begging for more (some of them even called me the queen of Indonesian Fantasy Wattpad--for you who didn't know it's the website where you can post your story and got some responce). Still, there's something in my mind that keep bothering me. Well, I've been following from Harry Potter, Eragon, The Lord of The Ring and more of other fantasy stuff, it's all getting a lot of critics from a lot of christians, and these things keeps bugging me when I try to write a new story. A question start to occur in my mind. Can an adventist writer like me allowed to write Fantasy? Some part of my mind tells me "I can" coz, I'm good at it, bunch of people keeps asking for my work, that's mean I've got talent, and talent comes from GOD. It must means something, right? But somet part of my mind asked me "What if what I'm doing is wrong? What if my writing skill is not coming from GOD but from satan?", but if GOD didn't wants me to write fantasy, why didn't He gave me the inspiration to write on other genre. Well, I try, I seriously try to write outside the fantasy genre, and I joined a writing competition. And the responce is not that good (well it's good--since they still put my story in the book they published), but all the readers keep telling me to just stick on Fantasy since I'm not good at writing a "Slice of Life" story. Even the judge says that, if I write a fantasy story, I might be the winner. It's keeps bothering me and I hope you guys here could help me, Thanks. Quote
Woody Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 Cool. Sounds like you really have a talent. You ask: Quote: Can an adventist writer like me allowed to write Fantasy? My response is that personally I don't like fantasy. But many do. And it certainly is in scripture. But in scripture it is used for good to point people to truth. C.S. Lewis was good at pointing people to Christ with fantasy. So, I have to believe it can be good. Have you tried writing Christian fantasy? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
IreneFaye Posted April 11, 2011 Author Posted April 11, 2011 @Woody: Well, at first, as a writer I'll said, well it's sad that you don't like Fantasy, ehehe. But as another story reader I'd say, everybody is different and unique, they have different interest too. Some of them likes to be charmed by love story and true story, but some others like to be lead to adventure, and the dream land, where something impossible becoming possible (don't mind my comment, it's just I used to be a the story commentator, before I try to write). Yes, I have try to write a christian fantasy novel, well, it's in progress, but I'm trying to work on it. It didn't get much response in Wattpad though, but some more critical reader in another site like it, and leave some good comment on it. I'm struggling on how should I continue it though. I'm too afraid that I'll offend some people from other religion with my work. I've read Narnia's series (C.S Lewis work), and I know that the writer draw the image of Jesus in Aslan. But well, his skill is more higher then me (sheepishly hiding behind a curtain). C.S Lewis is like an idol in the writing world after all. In the other hand, I found myself a little offended by his work. I don't know why, but there's something wrong with it that makes me afraid on combining religion with my work. That's why I try to avoid the sensitive subject as far as I could (I also did it so my work won't look unoriginal--that's what the writer now days are trying to do after all, avoiding the term of "cliche"). I did try to push my boundry now though, but still I'm to afraid to continue the work. The fantasy christian story I'm working on told a story that circle around angel, and what they do, I stick on bible to describe the angels (it's very cliche to find people describe angel as a girl or boy with a halo over his head, so I'm getting rid of it), and try so hard to not make any mistake in doing so, but since most of my readers might be muslim, well that's makes it a problem (that was the part where I'm afraid I'll offend them). It's sad that it's written in Indonesia, since if it's in English, I'll try to show it to you and ask for advice. Quote
Woody Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 Yes. Please do give us some of your work. And have you considered writing for an SDA audience such as having it printed in the Review or being published by one of our publishing houses? You need to get connected with 'there buster' who is a member here. He might help give you direction. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Gordon1 Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 Hi Irene Faye, Many of us have abilities which cannot be used for God's service, but sometimes the basic skill set can be developed to honour him. It's a healthy sign that your conscience is troubled over writing fiction. But please consult the Bible to confirm that these thoughts are from God. I believe they are. Do not rest your decision upon popular votes from the blogosphere. If you believe that Christ died to set you free from man's customs and traditions, I'm sure you'll consult Him first. God the Father does not lie, nor did He send Christ to make us liars. "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". Fiction is a form of falsification and lies. It causes the mind to be drawn from personal responsibilities (growth) to dwell upon an artificial world. Satan is the father of lies, he already has many devoted servants. Even Ellen White wrote at length upon the dangers of fiction, if her words interest you. But the Bible is plain enough. Christ sent out His followers to spread truth. They were to meet error and falsehood directly. Because they were obedient to their Master's will (trustworthy) they were given power to heal and cast out demons. Fiction instead prepares the mind to accept demons. But please make your own study from the Bible. You could start with the words truth, deception, guile. Whosoever loveth and maketh a lie will not enter the heavenly city (Revelation 22:15) because this would disrupt God's government by breaking his 1st law of Love. If we love others we will not work to deceive them. This is Satan's work, which though powerful and popular, will soon end. He will even impersonate Christ one day and be praised by many church-goers, but it will all be a fraud. Writing can be used to glorify God. But it's most important function will be to lead the reader to the Scriptures, for these are God's Words, not man's. His Word will endure for eternity. Quote
Woody Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 Remember IreneFaye that Jesus reaches us where we are at. You and others may enjoy fantasy. That is your God given gift. Just make sure you use that gift to reach others for Christ ... where both they are at and where U are at. God bless your efforts. And remember ... even the Bible has fiction. It can be used for good. Cheers Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Bravus Posted April 11, 2011 Moderators Posted April 11, 2011 Allegory is simply fantasy turned to a spiritual purpose, and has a long and distinguished tradition in Daniel, Jesus, John the Revelator, John Bunyan, C.S. Lewis and many others. I think there is no doubt that the fantasy-writing skill set can be used to glorify God. Without moving into directly Christian writing I also note that Tolkein was a Christian author who included Christian themes of love and self-sacrifice in his work. My favourite modern fantasy author is David Gemmell, also a Christian, who uses his novels to explore themes of love, faith and honor. Quote Truth is important
IreneFaye Posted April 12, 2011 Author Posted April 12, 2011 Hi Irene Faye, Many of us have abilities which cannot be used for God's service, but sometimes the basic skill set can be developed to honour him. It's a healthy sign that your conscience is troubled over writing fiction. But please consult the Bible to confirm that these thoughts are from God. I believe they are. Do not rest your decision upon popular votes from the blogosphere. If you believe that Christ died to set you free from man's customs and traditions, I'm sure you'll consult Him first. God the Father does not lie, nor did He send Christ to make us liars. "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". Fiction is a form of falsification and lies. It causes the mind to be drawn from personal responsibilities (growth) to dwell upon an artificial world. Satan is the father of lies, he already has many devoted servants. Even Ellen White wrote at length upon the dangers of fiction, if her words interest you. But the Bible is plain enough. Christ sent out His followers to spread truth. They were to meet error and falsehood directly. Because they were obedient to their Master's will (trustworthy) they were given power to heal and cast out demons. Fiction instead prepares the mind to accept demons. But please make your own study from the Bible. You could start with the words truth, deception, guile. Whosoever loveth and maketh a lie will not enter the heavenly city (Revelation 22:15) because this would disrupt God's government by breaking his 1st law of Love. If we love others we will not work to deceive them. This is Satan's work, which though powerful and popular, will soon end. He will even impersonate Christ one day and be praised by many church-goers, but it will all be a fraud. Writing can be used to glorify God. But it's most important function will be to lead the reader to the Scriptures, for these are God's Words, not man's. His Word will endure for eternity. Quote
Gordon1 Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 Thanks Irene Faye, I had not drawn as clear a distinction between fiction and fantasy as you. I'm sorry you felt slapped in the face because I shared my conviction, it was not meant to wound or offend. In the past I read much fiction & fantasy as a non-SDA and I regret that I had this exposure, especially when young & impressionable - the same for television and films. They were harmful to my character, which in turn affected other people. You were shielded from much of that it seems, and now you're a med student with an opportunity to train for practical service. It's true that contrary advice can seem harsh or legalistic, but my post was not written to condemn. Those who praise your writing efforts, are they aching for Christ's return? Will you write anything to hear their words of approval? Yes, there is fiction at the SDA bookstores. I found Pat Robertson's book in the Loma Linda UMC bookstore - he had a chapter urging the sanctity of Sunday-keeping. SDA bookstores are not a golden standard. Med school requires much reading and memorization. Large textbooks. Will you take time to compare your feelings on fiction with the Bible? You can search with Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, or an online concordance tool such as Blue Letter Bible. Quote
LifeHiscost Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 It's keeps bothering me and I hope you guys here could help me, Thanks. Perhaps the fact that fiction is the beginning of a lie would indicate more clearly where the spirit is coming from that leads you to write it. The talent to write being from God would seem to indicate that more of an effort in the direction of the truth, while delaying the reward, would eventually lead your efforts to a more satisfying experience. God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Moderators Bravus Posted April 12, 2011 Moderators Posted April 12, 2011 IreneFaye, these guys are posting like scared, narrow idiots. The antifiction thing is not Biblical (maybe another thread could be started on that point), it's just narrow prejudice. One more 'If I don't like it, God doesn't like it'). The Bible is full of allegory. As with everything, there is good fiction and bad fiction. Write good fiction. Quote Truth is important
Woody Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 IreneFaye, these guys are posting like scared, narrow idiots. The antifiction thing is not Biblical (maybe another thread could be started on that point), it's just narrow prejudice. One more 'If I don't like it, God doesn't like it'). The Bible is full of allegory. As with everything, there is good fiction and bad fiction. Write good fiction. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
ClubV12 Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 The allegories in the bible aren't even long enough to qualify for a "short story", let alone a story of appreciable length, an article or a book. They drive home a point to be made. Lets look at one, or more, of these allegories. The guy who found hidden treasure in the field. Is that based on fact or fiction? There were no banks in those times. It was a common practice for people to literally bury their treasure. Afterward it was not uncommon for something to happen to the treasure owner. Death, moved away, kidnapped, etc. The treasure is now "lost". It was perfectly legal for the man who found it to buy the land and claim it. But he could NOT take the treasure without buying the land. An allegory based on fact's of the time. I took Gordons counsel to mean there is danger in writing fiction, and there is! Harry Potter was mentioned. Who is that guy? Even non-christians understand the potential danger Potter represents. It's spiritualism, witchcraft, magic, satanic rights, it had virtually nothing to do with christian themes. There is no easy or soft way to say it, such subjects are very dangerous indeed. I'm truly sorry if that offends, but it needs to be said. Quote
cricket Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 What about the allegory of the rich man and Lazarus? I still want to know what was *true* and what was *untrue* about that one. And as for Harry Potter...well, there is good versus evil. And good has to die in order to save everyone else from the evil, AND good gives the evil a choice to change it's evil ways. That sounds pretty *themed to me. I kept waiting for JKR to change up the plot and let evil live in the end--but it ended just as I'd predicted: evil is eradicated. Why couldn't she just let the two forces continue on forever?? Quote
Woody Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 Quote: I'm truly sorry if that offends, but it needs to be said. With all the respect due ... WHY? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
ClubV12 Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 Because Spiritualism needs to be addressed head on, and not beating around the bush. This is a specific subject that was brought up in regards to writing fiction. Harry Potter style themes. Much, if not most, writing is based on a good vs evil theme, that doesn't justify anything when it comes to fiction. If it's not appropriate subject matter, hiding behind a "good theme" doesn't make it any better. The theme of the Great Controversy, good vs evil, is ingrained within mankind. Quote
cricket Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 What about the allegory of the rich man and Lazarus? I still want to know what was *true* and what was *untrue* about that one. Quote
wayfinder Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 I will tell you what was true about that story, it was written by Luke; therefore it very likely was never told. Luke was not an eyewitness to Jesus and was not one of His disciples. He never heard any of the parables. It is true also that the most popular and reasureing parables are all found in Luke. Luke's "gospel" is highly suspect. Quote
Woody Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 I will tell you what was true about that story, it was written by Luke; therefore it very likely was never told. Luke was not an eyewitness to Jesus and was not one of His disciples. He never heard any of the parables. It is true also that the most popular and reasureing parables are all found in Luke. Luke's "gospel" is highly suspect. Who is doing the suspecting? The story was given because the audience could relate. It would be like using modern stories to relate to today's times and people. For instance ... if someone starts talking about my favorite TV shows (Survivor and The Amazing Race) ... my ears perk up. But the use of them does not mean the user is giving his or hers' endorsement of the show. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
ClubV12 Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 Some say the story was a prophecy that included both the raising of the real Lazarus AND the resurrection of Christ. In either case, those that had access to Abraham and the prophets of old (Pharisee's and such) would not believe them OR someone raised from the dead. Like Lazarus or Christ. Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted April 12, 2011 Moderators Posted April 12, 2011 We could probably discuss Harry Potter separately in another thread - if anyone has actually *read* it and knows anything about it more than what s/he has heard from other scared people... IreneFaye said, I believe, that her influences were more like Tolkein... which is a different kettle of fish, although it does also contain wizards... Edit: Oops, correction, I checked my assertions (see .sig) and she *did* mention being influenced by Harry Potter. Other comments still stand. Edit2: Double oops - forgot I changed my .sig. I meant the old one: "In my culture it is customary to provide evidence for our assertions." Quote Truth is important
SivartM Posted April 13, 2011 Posted April 13, 2011 IreneFaye, I'm a writer also, and I love to read fantasy. It would be great to see some of your work sometime! I don't see anything wrong with writing fantasy, or any genre, as long as you are communicating a good message, whatever that may be. Tolkein said that God created us with our own ability to create worlds, which Tolkein and Lewis did. Don't let anyone get you down; just keep writing as God created you to do. :) Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
IreneFaye Posted April 13, 2011 Author Posted April 13, 2011 IreneFaye, these guys are posting like scared, narrow idiots. The antifiction thing is not Biblical (maybe another thread could be started on that point), it's just narrow prejudice. One more 'If I don't like it, God doesn't like it'). The Bible is full of allegory. As with everything, there is good fiction and bad fiction. Write good fiction. Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted April 13, 2011 Moderators Posted April 13, 2011 Yeah, just quickly on Harry Potter, the magic is not represented as being about incantations to gods or demons but about an innate human quality combined with skill. It's also very obviously a fantasy world - and I agree with IreneFaye's thoughtful critique of the actual quality of the writing. I'm not so much here to defend it from real and thoughtful attacks, just from silly and ignorant ones, and it's not the books or author of Harry Potter I'm defending, it's the integrity of Christians and Christianity. This nonsense takes the Lord's name in vain. Quote Truth is important
IreneFaye Posted April 14, 2011 Author Posted April 14, 2011 So ... can I or can I not write a fantasy? Well, since I've been reading the other thread too? My question would be change too : "Is it even okay for me to write fiction???" Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.