hooverdamsel Posted May 25, 2011 Posted May 25, 2011 Hi guys! I'm a dyed in the wool adventist who has read alot of Ellen White's books, especially End Time Events and recently I found a reference to some prophecies made by David Wilkerson (author of Cross and the Switchblade, founder of Teen and World Challenge). They were found in a book called 'The vision' and I was struck by the similarities between Ellen White and this guy. He believes in Economic Disaster, Apostasy of the church, Spiritualism in the church, Protestantism joining up with the Catholic church and so much else of what we believe. Has anyone read this book? Any comments? Do you think he is legit? I have read a number of his sermons off his World Challenge website and he strikes me as a man who knows his bible inside and out and who is not afraid to call to repentance etc. I am beginning to think his visions might be for real but want to take it cautiously until I finally make up my mind. Quote
Stan Posted May 25, 2011 Posted May 25, 2011 Great book. Read it a number of years ago. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Haldog Posted May 27, 2011 Posted May 27, 2011 Go for it!! One prophet is not nearly enough. Of course, the bible says that prophets were for before Christ, because now we have Him living in us and interceding for us, no need for a prophet to do that now. Quote "You may not agree with everyone. But if you are an honest man, when someone says something you disagree with it’ll drive you to the Word. If you find out that you were wrong and change your thinking then you are the better for it. If you go to the Word and find out that you were right then you have been strengthened. But either way always go to the Word!!” Billye Brim
skyblue888 Posted May 27, 2011 Posted May 27, 2011 Can you show us from the New Testament Scriptures that there is to be no "prophets" after the first advent of Christ? sky I have read a couple of Wilkerson's books but it was a long time ago not long before I began to read The Great Controversy by Mrs. White. I don't remember saying to myself, Wow she talks just like David Wilkerson. Quote "The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.
Guest Posted May 28, 2011 Posted May 28, 2011 Go for it!! One prophet is not nearly enough. Of course, the bible says that prophets were for before Christ, because now we have Him living in us and interceding for us, no need for a prophet to do that now. That's not what a prophet does, although some have in the past, like Moses. Now Jesus is our intercessor. But according to Ephesians 4, we still need prophets after Jesus. Eph 4:11-13 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: until we all arrive to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; Since we are not there yet, we still need a prophet, according to this. For the perfecting of the saints, and edifying, or building up of, the body of Christ. (obviously AFTER Jesus) Quote
hooverdamsel Posted May 29, 2011 Author Posted May 29, 2011 Actually it has been good for me because I have had to get into my old GControversy and reread some stuff. But Wilkerson does actually talk about fires in New York, the church having spiritualism all through it, liberal protestants becoming ecumenical and merging with the RC church. He talks about how eventually all true christians will have to come out of the RC church and about the persecution true christians will have. He says about how unchristian forces will invade the RC church and will use it as a political body to stop true christians. It is a fascinating read. It doesn't touch upon the Sabbath but rather the commands of God and adhering to the bible. I do believe that God will use prophets in the last days because it says that people will 'dream dreams and prophesy'. I think it is important to remember that in the days of Israel being invaded by Babylon there were a number of prophets out there - why not now. Ellen White doesn't have to be the only prophet. Maybe this guy was sent for other churches who have not yet heard the message of the sabbath. After all, why wouldn't God speak to people in other churches. He loves them just as much as Adventists. Quote
Haldog Posted May 30, 2011 Posted May 30, 2011 Hebrews 1:1-2 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in times past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken to us by His Son.... Last days by Jesus, thats the way I read it. Of course there are those who have the gift of prophecy, but there is no need for the office of a prophet. Quote "You may not agree with everyone. But if you are an honest man, when someone says something you disagree with it’ll drive you to the Word. If you find out that you were wrong and change your thinking then you are the better for it. If you go to the Word and find out that you were right then you have been strengthened. But either way always go to the Word!!” Billye Brim
ClubV12 Posted May 31, 2011 Posted May 31, 2011 I'm not sure I understand the difference between the "office of a prophet" and one who "prophecies". Sounds like the same thing, in a "minor vs major" prophet kind of roll. Still, both are prophets in my understanding. As I recall, one of Pauls companions had the gift of prophecy, thus it could be said, he was a prophet. As far as this author, Wilkerson, I would have to remain skeptical until I had a chance to personally review his work and "prove all things" in that regard. I don't know anything about the guy... Quote
Members phkrause Posted June 1, 2011 Members Posted June 1, 2011 I'm not sure I understand the difference between the "office of a prophet" and one who "prophecies". Sounds like the same thing, in a "minor vs major" prophet kind of roll. Still, both are prophets in my understanding. As I recall, one of Pauls companions had the gift of prophecy, thus it could be said, he was a prophet. As far as this author, Wilkerson, I would have to remain skeptical until I had a chance to personally review his work and "prove all things" in that regard. I don't know anything about the guy... I believe there is. If you recall King Saul did some prophecing but he was not a prophet! Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
ClubV12 Posted June 1, 2011 Posted June 1, 2011 Many people in the bible prophecied, sometimes only once. So, yeah, I see your point phk, I think... :) Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.