Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
Posted

From Ty Gibson, Path of the Just, 1991:

Quote:
Whatever the circumstances may be, when the human heart is faced with a knowledge of God's will in conflict with its natural inclinations, the cross of Christ is encountered. Every situation, every trial, every person is a potential cross. A flat tire, a crying baby, a disobedient child, just or unjust criticism, flattery, financial difficulty, in irritating or obnoxious personality, all such things call for self-denial. The cross of Christ calls for patience and self-control, contentment and love, even when circumstances and people, trials and temptation, seek to arouse the evil tendencies of the lower nature.

T2 651 (EGW) says:

Quote:
Self-denial and the cross lie directly in the pathway of every follower of Christ. The cross is that which crosses the natural affections and the will.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

  • Members
Posted

Those are very interesting statements, and very much to the point. :like:

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

The title is the scariest part of this topic.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Posted

Gail,

These statements seem to apply.

Quote:
I make an appeal to the youthful disciples of Christ to arouse, no longer to indulge in pleasure seeking, in self-love and ease; no longer be controlled by inclination, and by the lusts of the carnal heart. Do not settle down in Satan's easy-chair, and say that there is no use, you cannot cease to sin, that there is no power in you to overcome. There is no power in you apart from Christ, but it is your privilege to have Christ abiding in your heart by faith, and he can overcome sin in you, when you cooperate with his efforts, putting your will on the side of God's will. (YI 06-29-93)

Why is it so hard to lead a humble, self-denying life? Because professed Christians are not dead to the world. It is easy living after we are dead to sin. (RH 12-12-82)

Hallelu-YAH!

Chick

  • Administrators
Posted

How about those under attack?

Quote:
And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.Matthew 27:12

and:

Quote:
Verse 14: And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.

He was falsely accused and did not defend or even clarify himself.

Talk about bearing a cross! I marvel at this and wonder how I am to follow His example. I ALWAYS want to justify myself somehow!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

  • Administrators
Posted

I might be a bit wacked out, but isn't anyone ELSE fascinated by this concept, so different from our natural tendencies?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Posted

How about those under attack?

Quote:
And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.Matthew 27:12

and:

Quote:
Verse 14: And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.

He was falsely accused and did not defend or even clarify himself.

Talk about bearing a cross! I marvel at this and wonder how I am to follow His example. I ALWAYS want to justify myself somehow!

Was Jesus actually "bearing a cross" by being silent here?

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Posted
I might be a bit wacked out, but isn't anyone ELSE fascinated by this concept, so different from our natural tendencies?
LOL; no. You are not whacked out! I would venture to say though the the title is something that is a little hard to predict..."How far would you go?" We can all say How far we have gone, in carrying some cross...know what I mean?

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Posted

...I can barely grasp the concept of being quiet under duress...

I'm very much like Peter I fear.

Posted

...I can barely grasp the concept of being quiet under duress...

I'm very much like Peter I fear.

Good point. Although I do remember not so long ago when we lived in a big city; I was confronted by some neighborhood bullies (adults) and they were saying all kinds of things to me; none of which I replied to. It seemed to help get me out of a tight spot!

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Posted

Ha Ha, I think thats a different principle Overaged, that comes under "knowing when to keep your mouth shut to keep your foot from being shoved into by others."

Posted

LOL; maybe, but I do like to tell people like that what they "need to know;" it's just that I was quite outnumbered this time....You have no idea how hard it was for me to be quiet!

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Posted

" Anywhre with Jesus I can safely go"

Anywhere He leads me in this world below"

"Anywhere without him dearest joys would fade"

"Anywhere with Jesus I am not afraid"

Anywhere with Jesus or (Yahshua), I have no fear though He may take me through the waters deep I will follow with confidence and love for his hands hold me secure and sure.

"He will give his angel charge over thee, to keep thee"

Posted

He was falsely accused and did not defend or even clarify himself.

1 Peter 2:23... when he was reviled, didn't revile back. When he suffered, didn't threaten, but committed himself to him who judges righteously...

Posted

... isn't anyone ELSE fascinated by this concept, so different from our natural tendencies?

What have I been talking about the past 100 years on CA?

giggle Agape!

In complete contrast, God’s love (agape) is changeless. It is this fact that prompted Him to declare to the unfaithful Jews, “I have loved thee with an everlasting love” [Jeremiah 31:3]. According to Paul’s description of God’s love, “agape never fails” [1 Corinthians 13:8]. This was clearly demonstrated on the cross when “having loved His own which were in the world, he loved (agapao) them unto the end” [John 13:1]. When we Christians realize God’s unchanging love for us and are “rooted and grounded in agape” [Ephesians 3:17], we will be able to say with the great apostle Paul: “Who shall separate us from the love [agape] of Christ? ... For I am persuaded, that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, not things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love [agape] of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” [Romans 8:35-39].

Human love, at its very best is self-seeking. We are by nature egocentric and therefore everything we do and think, in and of ourselves, is polluted with self-love or selfishness. Hence man’s love is always trying to ascend, whether it be socially, politically, academically, materially, economically, or even religiously; we are all slaves to our “own way” [isaiah 53:6; Philippians 2:21]. As we saw in our last study, we are all shaped in “iniquity” (bent to self). Consequently all of us, without exception, are coming short of God’s glory or agape love [Romans 3:23].

But God’s love (agape) is the very opposite. It is self-giving. It was because of this that Christ did not cling to His equality with the Father, but emptied Himself and became God’s slave, obedient unto death, even the death of the cross [Philippians 2:6-8]. All His earthly life, Christ demonstrated God’s agape [John 17:4, first part.] This is “the glory as of the only begotten of the Father” which the disciples beheld [John 1:14]. He lived for the benefit of others; He actually became poor for our sakes, that we “through His poverty might be rich” [2 Corinthians 8:9].

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...