Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted

I like that. :)

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

I know that "I" am....but I'm not so sure about the rest of you...Nuff Sed

Posted

So true. My husband didn't get good grades in school, and grew up thinking he was stupid. But he learned to fix car engines by getting a car when he was 12, taking the engine apart and putting it back together again. We never need to pay repairmen, because he can fix anything. He has also worked in several branches of the building trades, and does professional quality work in any remodeling or construction project he does here at our home.

My husband is definitely NOT stupid! He's very smart, only in a different way than IQ tests measure.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

  • Moderators
Posted

So true - I had so many students in special education who were diagnosed as dyslexic (though that term was avoided), who were brilliant in other areas, but not given much chance to develop their strengths because the school spent so much time working on their weaknesses. If I had the means, I would open a school that would teach these naturally gifted special ed students to use the special talents they have - and not feel stupid all their lives because they have difficulty with reading or spelling.

LD

Posted

Hmmm...seems like there are a lot of "fish" in the world.

John Vixie

“We are all born originals-why is it so many of us die copies?"-Young “To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."-e cummings

Posted

This is diversity that we can all encourage. I would guess that society overlook people's talents and potential to enormous loss. There are so many people of Mensa IQ levels who end up working for bosses of average IQ who have founded successful businesses, for example, that that alone should make us broaden the value we place of different abilities. But some abilities don't shine by themselves.

So, should we change the school programs? Or is it parental attitudes that need reeducating? Or both?

ἡ ἀλήθεια ἐλευθερώσει ὑμᾶς

Posted

LynnDel - -

Can I borrow you?

Dottie

Posted

It wasn't until I was 33 that I took an IQ test and joined Mensa and Intertel. ( www.intertel-iq.org/ )

A year later I learned I had learning disabilities.

So... the kicked me out of Campion Academy because they thought I didn't care to try.

I got my GED. When I went in to take the GED test, they insisted that I take their tutoring before. I refused. I scored so high that the teachers felt they owed me something and gave me a six-pack of Miller beer. I was not old enough by law to buy any. (I hated beer so I gave it to my dad.)

I don't know if any of my classmates who ever wrote a book;

http://www.666beast.net/COVERA.jpg

http://www.666beast.net/IP_V4.pdf

addvantage

  • Moderators
Posted

Borrow me, Dottie? Hmmm... Just to let you know, I'm pretty expensive should I be damaged in the process. bwink

LynnDel

LD

  • Moderators
Posted

Interesting story, aadvantage. Just proves my point! Interesting looking book, too.

LD

Posted

I went to the Intertel website. That's very interesting.

Posted

I had never heard of Intertel until after I had passed the proctored IQ test. At that time the Intertel headquarter's office was in Littleton Colorado, just a few miles from where I lived. Dan Logan was the General Secretary. Dan told me of one of the members; Marilyn Mock Vos Savant, among the most intelligent of persons on the earth, once paid her membership dues twice in one year. She married Dr. Robert Jarvik, who helped to develop the artificial heart.

We used to have tea parties around town and about 30 or so would show up. Quite a large local group considering that the world-wide membership then was only around 2,000. We have a monthly magazine (Integra) in which I once submitted an article on the Sabbath.

It was founded by a "Ralph" Haines in 1966.

If you put a thousand Intertel members in a room to solve a common problem, they'd still be there....

So... we have annual gatherings. One held in San Francisco, where I attended and took lunch across the street. I met up with another member there and had lunch with her. As we waited in line, the man in front of us had his name tag on that read: "Bert Parades". I knew Bert to be an Intertel member and was a prolific writer in the magazine Integra. But as I spoke to him, the lady I was with kept telling me "That's not Bert" (who would have thunk that someone with such a rare name would show up at the same place at the same time and not be the same fellow?)

addvantage

  • Administrators
Posted

My assistant put a little sign in my office that reads, "A messy desk is a sign of genius." I'll accept that as anecdotal proof enough for me...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Posted

Mensa...probably..

bwink

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Posted

Speaking of Geniuses... This fellow has such linguistic skills that he can learn a complex language in a week:

http://www.wimp.com/speakicelandic/

The series from which this was taken, also featured Kim Peek, whom I would have loved to have met. He had read over 22,000 books, scanning the left page with one eye and the right page with the right eye, in about 3 seconds, turning the page until he finished the book. Years later, he would recall precisely everything he read from that book. Kim was unable to button his own shirt, nor tie his shoes or shave his face. He died within the last year from an infection.

Another fellow calculated the value of PI verbally to the millionth digit as college students followed along with their printed list. It took several hours. He is called the "human calculator".

addvantage

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

Contrary to the original post, evidence shows that the average IQ in America has been dropping. Charlotte Iserbyt's research spanning several decades demonstrates a deliberate chemical and psychological warfare being conducted on this nation's school children.

addvantage

Posted

Tom - -

I've heard that a messy desk is a sign of a messy mind. Therefore, an empty desk is a sign of ...

Posted

aadvantage - -

I've heard that Marilyn vos Savant was married to Henry Kissinger. May both men, but not at the same time?

Posted

aadvantage - -

I've heard that Marilyn vos Savant was married to Henry Kissinger. May both men, but not at the same time?

No, she never married Kissinger. If she did, then that would have lowered her IQ to below average.

addvantage

  • Members
Posted

No, she never married Kissinger. If she did, then that would have lowered her IQ to below average.

Now why would you say that?????

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...