Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

Posted

Time Magazine Cover Story Asks: Does the Constitution Still Matter?

Written by Joe Wolverton, II

Friday, 24 June 2011 01:00

0The cover of the July 4, 2011 issue of Time magazine depicts a shredded Constitution superimposed with the question: “Does it still matter?” The tone of the cover article makes Time’s answer to that question obvious.

Richard Stengel is the author of the piece and his opening paragraph presents the thesis that he carries on throughout the rest of the story: "Here are a few things the framers did not know about: World War II. DNA. Sexting. Airplanes. The atom. Television. Medicare. Collateralized debt obligations. The germ theory of disease. Miniskirts. The internal combustion engine. Computers. Antibiotics. Lady Gaga."

The point, one made incessantly by those interested in unfastening the republic from its constitutional moorings, is that while the Constitution is an admirable document, it is dated and has served its purpose. Advocates of this position do not see how a document written over 200 years ago can adequately govern a modern country. Or, as Stengel restates his point in the third sentence of the very next paragraph: “Since George Washington didn't even dream that man could fly, much less use a global-positioning satellite to aim a missile, it's hard to say what he would think.”...........

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/con...on-still-matter

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

  • Moderators
Posted

The constitution is only as good as the willingness of American leaders to apply it. There has been ample evidence over the past 200 years that some of the provisions were not worth the paper they were written on.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Posted

The constitution is only as good as the willingness of American leaders to apply it. There has been ample evidence over the past 200 years that some of the provisions were not worth the paper they were written on.

The day will come and I don't think it is to far off that the US Constitution will not offer us the protection it does at present. Most americans would just as soon keep it

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

The constitution is only as good as the willingness of American leaders to apply it. There has been ample evidence over the past 200 years that some of the provisions were not worth the paper they were written on.

Those primarily against the provision of the U.S. constitution

are those who have not had it applied equally to their lives as others have, and those who have so much resources they can buy the freedom this world offers.

Makes me hunger for this scenario:

"

“Is anyone thirsty?

Come and drink—

even if you have no money!

Come, take your choice of wine or milk—

it’s all free!"

Isaiah 55:1 NLT

Good blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

Originally Posted By: lazarus
The constitution is only as good as the willingness of American leaders to apply it. There has been ample evidence over the past 200 years that some of the provisions were not worth the paper they were written on.

Those primarily against the provision of the U.S. constitution

are those who have not had it applied equally to their lives as others have, and those who have so much resources they can buy the freedom this world offers.

Didn't know I had so much resources.

I can go to the church of my choice,have as many or as few children as I want,even if I can't feed them ,I can have others pay for that,I can work at any job I am qualified for,

attend the school of my choice,many times have others pay for that,own my own business if I want to work that hard,marry whom I choose.

Must be because I am rich

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

  • Moderators
Posted

The US constitution is a great document but the US only recently matured to the point where it has been able to apply its principles equally. Sad to say the US is going the way of all other Empire's before it.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Posted

The US constitution is a great document but the US only recently matured to the point where it has been able to apply its principles equally. Sad to say the US is going the way of all other Empire's before it.

The laws against murder are a great thing.That does not mean that all will abide by it. Nor does it mean that the law should be done away with.

Yes,we know from prophecy what role the US will play. But till then and from it's inception it has afforded rights and privileges other countries have not enjoyed,with all it's mistakes and wrong doing.

Without the constitution we have that would not have been possible.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

Must be because I am rich

Now I see a glimmer of light.

Most Americans won't/don't admit that. Judging from the rapidity of social change from almost all segments of global society, that freedom referred to may vanish before we become much older. Some are making every effort they can to make sure it does change, though admittedly many without malicious intent.

"But I am not surprised! Even satan disguises himself as an angel of light."2 Corinthians 11:14 NLT

God Blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

Now I see a glimmer of light.

Most Americans won't/don't admit that. Judging from the rapidity of social change from almost all segments of global society, that freedom referred to may vanish before we become much older. Some are making every effort they can to make sure it does change, though admittedly many without malicious intent.

Now I see a glimmer of light.

Actually you don't.I grew up well acquainted with poverty.

Since becoming an adult I have had enough but never an overabundence.I have never felt I had less rights than others.

Others may have been wealthier by far but wealth could have been mine if I had worked harder and made better decisions.

You may have your doubts but I do not.There is no "may vanish" about what is to come.Besides that is off the track of what you first posted.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...