Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

Posted

hmmmm

mine was a paperback

my parents had a ton of books

my dad had the satan bible and books on adolf hitler

my mom had mostly salacious fiction and mysteries

and movie star biographies

i as a kid read all the books that appealed to me

and SYBIL was one of them

All progress in the Spiritual Life is knowing and Loving GOD

"there is non upon earth that I desire besides YOU" PS 73:25

That perspective changes EVERYTHING-suffering and adversity are the means that makes us hungry for GOD. Disapointments will wean us away wordly occupations. Even sin(when repented of) becomes a mechanism to push us closer to HIM as we experience His Love and Forgiveness.

Posted

Come to think of it, I read it in 1975, not that long after it was originally published. It may have been revised afterward to include the name of her church. In mine, it just said that it was a fundamentalist church.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

  • Members
Posted

I read the book too PO, and I recall it saying that she was a SDA also. Not sure I have it anymore either. And if it didn't mention that, than I'm not sure where I got that info from.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Knowing SDA teachings, it was pretty obvious, even without it being directly stated. And I mentioned it to someone in the church after I joined, and that person, who hadn't read the book said that they had heard that she was SDA.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Posted

We only have one personality that will stand before God on judgement day

Excellent !!

g

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Posted

Originally Posted By: EmptyCross

Also I think its easy for SDA's to want to believe that kind of abuse and that kind of disorder could never happen in a good Adventist family. Thing is though, just because someone belongs to a religion does not automatically make them a good person.

I agree with you but I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that these things never happen in SDA homes; quite the opposite--I was saying that when these things are found out it seems to always be from strict SDA homes. In other words, it seems to me that the reporter of these type of stories points out that it was from a particular religion if it is SDA. That had they been say Baptist, it would have just been a "strict Christian home", or had they been nothing in particular it would have been a "strict home". But when it is SDA that goes off the deep end or is found out or what have you, then everyone points out that it was an SDA, an ex-SDA, or was raised in a strict SDA home.

I obviously said it badly the first time, hopefully I said it more clearly this time. :)

Good point.

g

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...