M. T. Cross Posted December 2, 2011 Posted December 2, 2011 If you could do anything for a living, what would your dream job be? Quote
Administrators Gail Posted December 2, 2011 Administrators Posted December 2, 2011 Working in a library. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
M. T. Cross Posted December 2, 2011 Author Posted December 2, 2011 Working in a library. That would be in my top 10 Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted December 2, 2011 Moderators Posted December 2, 2011 I do (generally) enjoy my job as a prof quite a bit. I teach classes, conduct research and supervise graduate students. A few too many meetings and commitments, but a huge amount of freedom to decide what, when and how I do the work. I believe that's a huge part of job satisfaction: autonomy. Quote Truth is important
M. T. Cross Posted December 2, 2011 Author Posted December 2, 2011 I do (generally) enjoy my job as a prof quite a bit. I teach classes, conduct research and supervise graduate students. A few too many meetings and commitments, but a huge amount of freedom to decide what, when and how I do the work. I believe that's a huge part of job satisfaction: autonomy. Oh for sure. Also your job is one of the most important jobs in the world I think so that has to add to the satisfaction. Quote
Members phkrause Posted December 2, 2011 Members Posted December 2, 2011 If you could do anything for a living, what would your dream job be? Baseball would've been mine, but I never did for obvious reasons. Than I wanted to be an automechanic, but my reading grade was to low to get into a commercial HS. So while going to another HS I took a commercial course and found printing was what I wanted to do, so I applied for a post graduate course in Printing down in Manhattan, but before I got accepted, I was hired at FFT to work in the press room but wound up starting out in the bindery. Gradully working my way through all the different departments until I did get to work in prepress. Had 43 wonderful years. My intentions were to work until I turned 70 but that didn't work out, got laid off and no one wanted a hire a young 60 year old. So after 2 years on unemployment I retired. But printing has been a blast and my dream job. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
M. T. Cross Posted December 2, 2011 Author Posted December 2, 2011 Originally Posted By: EmptyCross If you could do anything for a living, what would your dream job be? Baseball would've been mine, but I never did for obvious reasons. Than I wanted to be an automechanic, but my reading grade was to low to get into a commercial HS. So while going to another HS I took a commercial course and found printing was what I wanted to do, so I applied for a post graduate course in Printing down in Manhattan, but before I got accepted, I was hired at FFT to work in the press room but wound up starting out in the bindery. Gradully working my way through all the different departments until I did get to work in prepress. Had 43 wonderful years. My intentions were to work until I turned 70 but that didn't work out, got laid off and no one wanted a hire a young 60 year old. So after 2 years on unemployment I retired. But printing has been a blast and my dream job. Very cool that you turned what you ended up in into your dream job. Great attitude. Quote
Members phkrause Posted December 2, 2011 Members Posted December 2, 2011 Very cool that you turned what you ended up in into your dream job. Great attitude. I believe God has a purpose for our lives, and it doesn't have to be a pastor, teacher, missionary to a foreign country, etc. Each person can witness to others in whatever profession they pick. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Bravus Posted December 2, 2011 Moderators Posted December 2, 2011 Side note: I always think of you as a guy my age, pk. Quote Truth is important
Members abelisle Posted December 2, 2011 Members Posted December 2, 2011 A National Level 1 coach for an Olympic sport i.e. track, cycling, triathlon etc. Get to travel, work with latest equipment, get free stuff from sponsors and see my clients achieve athletic achievements of the highest order (like Gold medals, WR's) Quote We are our worst enemy - sad but true. http://abelisle.blogspot.com
Members phkrause Posted December 2, 2011 Members Posted December 2, 2011 Side note: I always think of you as a guy my age, pk. Thanks for the compliment. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
M. T. Cross Posted December 2, 2011 Author Posted December 2, 2011 A National Level 1 coach for an Olympic sport i.e. track, cycling, triathlon etc. Get to travel, work with latest equipment, get free stuff from sponsors and see my clients achieve athletic achievements of the highest order (like Gold medals, WR's) That would be rewarding! Man the sacrifice those athletes make for that one moment is amazing. Quote
M. T. Cross Posted December 2, 2011 Author Posted December 2, 2011 My dream job for a lot of my life would have been to be a left winger on the checking line for an NHL team..... But the more realistic one, that I still work towards is to make a viable living creating music. In my world music is the answer to most everything. Quote
Members phkrause Posted December 2, 2011 Members Posted December 2, 2011 A National Level 1 coach for an Olympic sport i.e. track, cycling, triathlon etc. Get to travel, work with latest equipment, get free stuff from sponsors and see my clients achieve athletic achievements of the highest order (like Gold medals, WR's) Yeah! Right! LOL, sounds good. Its to bad you couldn't do that for the last 40 years or so. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
ClubV12 Posted December 2, 2011 Posted December 2, 2011 Well,,,, I don't want to sound all weird and holier than thou and all that, but.... My dream job NOW, would be working for the Lord full time. The question for me, and the very one I'm stuggling with right now, is in what capacity? If I was younger and actually needed to earn a living and COULDN'T get paid for working for the Lord full time? I'd become self employed in some way, so I could devote as much time as possible to the Lords work and still make enough to "just" sustain myself (being single would help). Maybe like Paul, making tents at night and working during the day, not taking a penny from the churches. Now THERES a real man! Quote
Dottie Posted December 3, 2011 Posted December 3, 2011 Gail - my daughter is a librarian, and oh, the stories she can tell! I've never figured out what "talent(s)" my Lord has given me, so I'm a mother. I've parented about 70 children for various lengths of time. Quote
ClubV12 Posted December 3, 2011 Posted December 3, 2011 Christianity begins in the home Dottie, that is about the highest calling you can get right there! Quote
Woody Posted December 3, 2011 Posted December 3, 2011 Quote: I've parented about 70 children for various lengths of time. And "I" thought "I" was old and gray. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.