Administrators Gail Posted February 10, 2012 Administrators Posted February 10, 2012 I'm listening to Neil Nedley talk about the value of having friendships with people way outside your age range. Thoughts? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted February 10, 2012 Posted February 10, 2012 I agree with it. We have much to learn from both the young and the old. And I consider myself OLD. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted February 10, 2012 Author Administrators Posted February 10, 2012 I agree with it. We have much to learn from both the young and the old. And I consider myself OLD. You keep talking like that and I will call you Methuselah. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted February 10, 2012 Posted February 10, 2012 Originally Posted By: Woody I agree with it. We have much to learn from both the young and the old. And I consider myself OLD. You keep talking like that and I will call you Methuselah. Good idea. Actually - I don't mind. For I truly feel like a Methuselah. I try to compensate for that - by acting childish as much as I can. Have you noticed how us old people desire to return to our childhood. I find that acting childish is a good compensation or release. It's kinda like the child in me finally getting released in my old age. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
M. T. Cross Posted February 10, 2012 Posted February 10, 2012 I'm listening to Neil Nedley talk about the value of having friendships with people way outside your age range. Thoughts? I agree, though I think its important to have friends within your age range as well as they are often valuable for understanding where you are at. The guys I work directly with are all close to 20 years younger than me. I spend a lot of time with these guys and would call all of them friends. It keeps me fresh, current, and reminds me to celebrate the simple joy of being alive. I also have friends that are old enough to be my parents. They are great for helping me believe that in the end hardships can be beaten and life can turn out. Quote
Dottie Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 Most of my friends are not my age. They have little in common with me, and it's hard to listen to them talk about their latest diagnoses and meds. I talk more often to those with children the age of my son. Quote
bluebelle Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 Have you noticed how us old people desire to return to our childhood. I find that acting childish is a good compensation or release. It's kinda like the child in me finally getting released in my old age. So I guess it's back to skipping stones and jumping puddles Woody? Quote
Woody Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 Hey Bluebelle - that might not be a bad idea -ceptin - I've been skipping stones for so many years - I've become an expert at it. But the point IS: It sure don't hurt to loosen up a bit. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
LifeHiscost Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 Quote: Have you noticed how us old people desire to return to our childhood. I find that acting childish is a good compensation or release. It's kinda like the child in me finally getting released in my old age. I've never gotten that impression of you, Woody. You've always seemed to me to be, welllllll, just kind of "Woody". God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Administrators Naomi Posted February 12, 2012 Administrators Posted February 12, 2012 I'm listening to Neil Nedley talk about the value of having friendships with people way outside your age range. Thoughts? Dr Nedley is a super guy, in person, and seemingly ageless in conversation. I would expect him to find value in all age groups. As for myself, probably my closest friend is a very wise and active 99 year old. Coming in second would be 23 years old, and probably more mature than I. Most of my friends are closer to my age. Putting people in boxes, be it age, gender, etc., is to limit the many possibilities available through friendship. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Members phkrause Posted February 12, 2012 Members Posted February 12, 2012 Dr Nedley is a super guy, in person, and seemingly ageless in conversation. I would expect him to find value in all age groups. As for myself, probably my closest friend is a very wise and active 99 year old. Coming in second would be 23 years old, and probably more mature than I. Most of my friends are closer to my age. Putting people in boxes, be it age, gender, etc., is to limit the many possibilities available through friendship. Good points Naomi. I'm friends with all kinds of people, that have all these crazy labels that others place on them. Some are radical, some are democrats, republicans, liberal, conservative, black, white, yellow, red, etc. But all in my eyes are human, and even though we have different values, we are still friends, because we don't allow those stupid labels to dictate who we can be friends with. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 13, 2012 Posted February 13, 2012 Quote: Good points Naomi. I'm friends with all kinds of people, that have all these crazy labels that others place on them. Some are radical, some are democrats, republicans, liberal, conservative, black, white, yellow, red, etc. But all in my eyes are human, and even though we have different values, we are still friends, because we don't allow those stupid labels to dictate who we can be friends with. Yes pk I agree. And I am glad to be your token conservative friend. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted February 13, 2012 Members Posted February 13, 2012 Yes pk I agree. And I am glad to be your token conservative friend. Yes you are my token friend but its not as a conservative, I believe its as a Swede. Besides you claim to be conservative yet I hear you saying in many posts you are liberal? So what is it? :) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 13, 2012 Posted February 13, 2012 Originally Posted By: Woody Yes pk I agree. And I am glad to be your token conservative friend. Yes you are my token friend but its not as a conservative, I believe its as a Swede. Besides you claim to be conservative yet I hear you saying in many posts you are liberal? So what is it? I appreciate being your token Swiss n Swede friend then. And I can understand your confusion with me. I am a conservative politically but in confusion on the religious end. ON the religious end - I serve both sides. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
olger Posted February 13, 2012 Posted February 13, 2012 He reads Newsmax! Guilty!! Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Overaged Posted February 15, 2012 Posted February 15, 2012 I'm listening to Neil Nedley talk about the value of having friendships with people way outside your age range. Thoughts? I have a couple of his books - they sure make a lot of sense to me. But in answer to your OP; yes, we should have all kinds of friends, in my opinion. I am friends with people in their teens, as well as in their nineties. I love the variety and the wisdom from all the different age groups. There is something special, to me, about each one. I think Nedley is right on with this one too. I would feel that something important is missing if i were only friends with one age group. Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Administrators Naomi Posted February 15, 2012 Administrators Posted February 15, 2012 Originally Posted By: Gail I'm listening to Neil Nedley talk about the value of having friendships with people way outside your age range. Thoughts? I have a couple of his books - they sure make a lot of sense to me. But in answer to your OP; yes, we should have all kinds of friends, in my opinion. I am friends with people in their teens, as well as in their nineties. I love the variety and the wisdom from all the different age groups. There is something special, to me, about each one. I think Nedley is right on with this one too. I would feel that something important is missing if i were only friends with one age group. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.