Woody Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 Should we as Bible believing SDA christians - be concerned about this old earth which will very soon be destroyed? If we believe in our message that Jesus is coming soon - should we push policies that place the earth over people? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted March 31, 2012 Author Posted March 31, 2012 People over earth! I was hoping I could count on your wisdom Richard. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted March 31, 2012 Members Posted March 31, 2012 Should we as Bible believing SDA christians - be concerned about this old earth which will very soon be destroyed? If we believe in our message that Jesus is coming soon - should we push policies that place the earth over people? What's so bad about doing both? When I go out for my daily walks, I bring a garbage bag with me to pick up the garbage that people throw out. If that means that someone thinks that I'm putting the earth over people, than so be it. I'd rather help keep the earth as clean as I can and do my share, and witness to people at the same time. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
SivartM Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 People over earth! I think the majority of living beings (especially the sentient ones) would beg to differ. What ever happened to "the first shall be last, and the last first"? We thought the world would end almost two hundred years ago. The state of the environment hasn't gotten much better since then. It's pretty selfish to put the well-being of your descendants at risk if the world doesn't end for several hundred more years, or longer. Caring for the environment isn't necessarily "putting it above people", it's taking care of the only planet we know of that is capable of supporting life. Revelation talks about how God will "destroy those who destroy the earth". Destroying the earth makes as much sense as burning your own house down. Less, even. But we never say that cleaning and maintaining and improving one's house is "putting the house above people". Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Woody Posted March 31, 2012 Author Posted March 31, 2012 I suppose SivartM - it would depend upon how certain one is about the Lord coming soon. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
SivartM Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 I suppose SivartM - it would depend upon how certain one is about the Lord coming soon. Well, the early Adventists were probably much more sure than most of us are. But even if you think the world is ending next week, you're still not going to earn any favor by throwing toxic waste into your neighbors' yards. I'm not just being silly. Our pollution most affects poorer nations; some witness, eh? Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Guest Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 What's so bad about doing both? When I go out for my daily walks, I bring a garbage bag with me to pick up the garbage that people throw out. If that means that someone thinks that I'm putting the earth over people, than so be it. I'd rather help keep the earth as clean as I can and do my share, and witness to people at the same time. What you're doing is in no way harming people. The environmentalist wackos are wrecking the economy as we speak. That hurts people. Quote
Members phkrause Posted March 31, 2012 Members Posted March 31, 2012 But even if you think the world is ending next week, you're still not going to earn any favor by throwing toxic waste into your neighbors' yards. I'm not just being silly. Our pollution most affects poorer nations; some witness, eh? Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted March 31, 2012 Author Posted March 31, 2012 Originally Posted By: pkrause What's so bad about doing both? When I go out for my daily walks, I bring a garbage bag with me to pick up the garbage that people throw out. If that means that someone thinks that I'm putting the earth over people, than so be it. I'd rather help keep the earth as clean as I can and do my share, and witness to people at the same time. What you're doing is in no way harming people. The environmentalist wackos are wrecking the economy as we speak. That hurts people. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Naomi Posted March 31, 2012 Administrators Posted March 31, 2012 Originally Posted By: Woody I suppose SivartM - it would depend upon how certain one is about the Lord coming soon. Well, the early Adventists were probably much more sure than most of us are. But even if you think the world is ending next week, you're still not going to earn any favor by throwing toxic waste into your neighbors' yards. I'm not just being silly. Our pollution most affects poorer nations; some witness, eh? For sake of discussion, if you destroy the earth, air and water by pollution, toxic waste,etc. you destroy people. Yes, it does affect poorer nations, but my friends, it affects North American, every day in almost every way. The air we breath in most areas is not the fresh clean air our Lord gave us. Our water is polluted and is extremely expensive to continue to keep it safe. Do you enjoy a healthy glass from your faucet? It would be nice to keep it that way. Do you enjoy going to the lake or coast and not being concerned with the pollution? Every year the cloud of pollution over our cities becomes bigger and thicker. Anyone who travels by air can attest to that. I could continue, but I hope I have made my point. Our earth is what allows us our qualityof life; not to mention the future of our children, grandchildren, etc. Yes, I believe our Lord is coming soon, but God's time is not man's time. We are the keepers of the earth and our brother's keeper. You can have one without the other. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Woody Posted March 31, 2012 Author Posted March 31, 2012 Haven't been to the city in some time. I live in the boonies and don't see any polution of any kind. But the effects that you speak of take lots of time. And again - it depends upon how sure one is that Jesus is coming soon. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Bravus Posted March 31, 2012 Moderators Posted March 31, 2012 {puts head into thread. looks around. tiptoes out} Quote Truth is important
Woody Posted March 31, 2012 Author Posted March 31, 2012 {puts head into thread. looks around. tiptoes out} Well tiptoeing is better than running. So I will consider that a good sign that you might return. :) Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
SivartM Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 But the effects that you speak of take lots of time. Not long at all. Personal electronic devices were only invented a few decades ago and now huge areas are covered in toxic electronic waste that endangers the health of the very poor people who have to pick through the toxins to make a living. Huge areas of rainforest are being destroyed as we speak. Other land is turning into desert. Billions of animals are suffering in factory farms and creating health hazards for themselves and humans. Fragile coral reefs are dying. Organisms are becoming extinct at unnatural rates. Plastic, invented a few generations ago, now finds a home in the oceans, in floating masses of trash the size of continents. Catastrophic oil spills are still a huge danger, and the oil that isn't spilled gets burned and measurably lowers the quality of health in heavily populated areas. A lot has happened since 1844. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Woody Posted March 31, 2012 Author Posted March 31, 2012 Have you ever thought of it this way: We are just helping out God by getting a head start on the destruction of the Earth? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
fccool Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 The argument of "people over Earth" ignores that there can't be people without earth. It's a symbiotic relationship. When one turns into a parasite and kills the host, then the parasite will eventually die off too. Environmentalism is not about choosing earth over people. It's about showing that excessive profit-motivated practices will lead to eventual harm of people themselves in the long run. It's about balance. Quote
fccool Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 Have you ever thought of it this way: We are just helping out God by getting a head start on the destruction of the Earth? I really hope it was a joke. Quote
SivartM Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 Have you ever thought of it this way: We are just helping out God by getting a head start on the destruction of the Earth? That's very thoughtful, but not in anyone's self-interest, as God will destroy those who destroy the earth. Personally, I like the earth intact, so I don't see the rush to get rid of it. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Administrators Naomi Posted March 31, 2012 Administrators Posted March 31, 2012 Woody, you live in an area with a larger population than I. Of course we have less pollution than other areas, but it exist. Our water ways are deep underground 'rivers' polluted water will travel in the water for varied distances. It doesn't take nearly as long as you would think for pollution to make it's ugly mark. The majority of the earth's population live in densely populated areas. Our food sources are polluted...if you think you are buying organic fruits and veggies, think again. Plants get their oxygen from the air. Humm Oceans, rivers and lakes are polluted and those who eat fish have to be cautious about the water in which it was harvested. Yes, we need to protect our economy. I live in an area in which we derive much or our revenue from the petroleum industry. I grew up in the oil fields. The price of the petro we put into our automobiles is not driven by the cost of oil per barrel paid to the owners of royalty. If it did I wouldn't have to go to work every day. (: One lesson we learned well in 1844 is that we can not be sure when our Lord returns. Until we see that beautiful cloud in the east we must live and plan for the future . Until we see the angels and Jesus on the throne ... when every eye sees Him. Then we can throw trash down, dump our chemicals, etc. {only being silly} we won't care about any of that; only joy. Just sayin ................ Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Guest Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 Have you ever thought of it this way: We are just helping out God by getting a head start on the destruction of the Earth? Maybe you should stop trying to help, Woody. Quote
Administrators Naomi Posted March 31, 2012 Administrators Posted March 31, 2012 Originally Posted By: Woody Have you ever thought of it this way: We are just helping out God by getting a head start on the destruction of the Earth? Maybe you should stop trying to help, Woody. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Woody Posted March 31, 2012 Author Posted March 31, 2012 Originally Posted By: Woody Have you ever thought of it this way: We are just helping out God by getting a head start on the destruction of the Earth? Maybe you should stop trying to help, Woody. Hey Richard. Whose side are you on. You were doing great up till now. That's the last time I compliment YOU. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Dr. Rich Posted March 31, 2012 Posted March 31, 2012 Originally Posted By: pkrause What's so bad about doing both? When I go out for my daily walks, I bring a garbage bag with me to pick up the garbage that people throw out. If that means that someone thinks that I'm putting the earth over people, than so be it. I'd rather help keep the earth as clean as I can and do my share, and witness to people at the same time. What you're doing is in no way harming people. The environmentalist wackos are wrecking the economy as we speak. That hurts people. See, there are some issues that we both agree on. And who cares about the earth as it will be made knew? It's the people that I am concerned about. Take the light bulb issue--what a silly and stupid law they made, just to make the power company happy. And really, who cares about the ice melting when a third of the sea will turn to blood anyway? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.