cricket Posted July 16, 2012 Posted July 16, 2012 Do you have a favorite man-made work of art? If so, what is it? Quote
cricket Posted July 16, 2012 Author Posted July 16, 2012 Interesting choice, dgrimm! Ever been up in the Arch? I really enjoy sculpture. I would love to see the Pieta! Quote
Members phkrause Posted July 16, 2012 Members Posted July 16, 2012 LOL, every time I've been to St. Louis, the Arches have been closed for either cleaning or repairs. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
cricket Posted July 16, 2012 Author Posted July 16, 2012 Hey pkrause! Sorry it's been closed for repairs when you came to visit. Maybe someday you can ride up to the top of the Arch to see the sights! Do you have a favorite work of art, pkrause?? Quote
Members phkrause Posted July 16, 2012 Members Posted July 16, 2012 Well I have quite a few of them. Don't really have just one. Having lived in NYC for about 20+ yrs, all the bridges are really beautiful, and many of the buildings down in Manhattan, like the empire state building, the crysler building, the twin towers had some beauty but not like many others. Than having lived up in Mass, Boston has many beautiful buildings also. Chicago really has many great man-made art that's really awesome also. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Planey Posted July 16, 2012 Posted July 16, 2012 Sydney Opera House Quote Graeme____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dottie Posted July 16, 2012 Posted July 16, 2012 I like "David" by Michelangelo, and the painting "Praying Hands," but I don't know the artist. I saw a copy of the "Pieta" at the World's Fair in NYC in the sixties, and liked that, also. I like serious religious art, not distorted or artwork that is "light," as in insincere. I liked Harry Baerg"s and Russ Harlan's work in the "Bible Story" books. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted July 17, 2012 Administrators Posted July 17, 2012 Praying hands, by Albrecht Dürer? It's been copied over and over since his day. I went to the old town of Nürnberg and got to see his grave, his house, etc. He's one of my all-time favourite artists. He believed that his talent was a gift from God and was to be used to His glory. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
CoAspen Posted July 17, 2012 Posted July 17, 2012 Cathedrals.....an awesome design to explain God. Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted July 17, 2012 Moderators Posted July 17, 2012 I think mine would have to be music rather than architecture or painting, and then to pick a favourite... Bach's 'Tocatta and Fugue' is pretty sublime. Quote Truth is important
cricket Posted July 17, 2012 Author Posted July 17, 2012 All great answers! I find it fascinating to learn we all have such different tastes in art. Quote
CoAspen Posted July 18, 2012 Posted July 18, 2012 I think mine would have to be music rather than architecture or painting, and then to pick a favourite... Bach's 'Tocatta and Fugue' is pretty sublime. .......and played on a massive pipe organ in a Cathedral! Can't go wrong with that composer and music under any circumstance!! Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted July 18, 2012 Moderators Posted July 18, 2012 Have to admit, though, that me being me this was what first came to mind: Partly because it's awesome and I love it and partly because the words 'work of art' are in the first line of the lyrics. Quote Truth is important
M. T. Cross Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 Michael Ammot had that melodic death metal thing going even back in the Carcass days eh! Its been a long time since I have listened to that. Quote
Ellen Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 I've never seen it, but the Taj Mahal has to be up there on a list of manmade productions. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted July 19, 2012 Administrators Posted July 19, 2012 I think mine would have to be music rather than architecture or painting, and then to pick a favourite... Bach's 'Tocatta and Fugue' is pretty sublime. When I hear his music I always think of JS Bach as being just a tad bored with the norm and letting loose on the organ :) Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.