Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Critical thinking through rose-colored glasses?


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name="7 Ways to Teach Kids Critical Thinking"]So how are your kids processing all the information that enters their minds daily? It’s vital for them to think critically about it—filtering it through a biblical perspective to determine what’s true and what’s not. Proverbs 14:15 says: “The simple believe anything, but the prudent give thought to their steps.” If you teach your kids critical-thinking skills, you can help them make the wise decisions that God wants them to make.

Posted

Critical thinking seems to directly contradict the whole " Just have faith and believe that this is THE word of God" message of the Bible

Posted

I will try to stay off my 'hobby horse' of correct understanding of words and their definitions, but........

Thesaurus

evaluative, analytical, interpretative, expository, explanatory.

It is this usage of the word and process that people misunderstand. Filtering is going to happen as a normal part of being human but what are the filters based on is the important part. I would suggest that it is not the fault of the Bible but rather how it is used by the believer. In using it, the Bible, one needs to use the above in the process. I really don't think using the Bible or any other source inhibits critical thought, but rather the process one is using.

(now for the nay-sayers) peace

Posted

Quote:
" Just have faith and believe that this is THE word of God" message of the Bible

I don't believe that is the message of the Bible, look at the period of time Christ spent teaching the disciples. I will agree that surface reading rather than critical reading could lead to that conclusion. That is one of the reasons that some parts of Christianity give that slant, but then so do many other religions.

Posted

Quote:
" Just have faith and believe that this is THE word of God" message of the Bible

I don't believe that is the message of the Bible, look at the period of time Christ spent teaching the disciples. I will agree that surface reading rather than critical reading could lead to that conclusion. That is one of the reasons that some parts of Christianity give that slant, but then so do many other religions.

I think maybe my sarcasm was missed there bwink Indeed many religions give that slant, and so many people fall for it because they simply want to feel safe, they need that net or that crutch, or are simply to lazy to go any deeper.

I can't concieve of any deity wanting us to read anything at all without critical thinking, without questioning and digging for the truth behind it.

Posted

I will try to stay off my 'hobby horse' of correct understanding of words and their definitions, but........

Thesaurus

evaluative, analytical, interpretative, expository, explanatory.

It is this usage of the word and process that people misunderstand. Filtering is going to happen as a normal part of being human but what are the filters based on is the important part. I would suggest that it is not the fault of the Bible but rather how it is used by the believer. In using it, the Bible, one needs to use the above in the process. I really don't think using the Bible or any other source inhibits critical thought, but rather the process one is using.

(now for the nay-sayers) peace

I won't nay-say, but I am trying to figure out what it is you are trying to say.

Posted

Sorry...a short sentence..it isn't the critical thinking process but the person doing the critical thinking where in could lie the problem.

peace

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...