Woody Posted August 2, 2012 Posted August 2, 2012 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/roseanne-barr-chick-fil-anti-gay-twitter-355051 Joe Scarnici/FilmMagic/Getty Images The comedienne tweeted that anyone who eats at the fast food chain, which does not support gay marriage, "deserves to get cancer that is sure to come from eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ." Roseanne Barr was busy Thursday re-tweeting a hailstorm of criticism heaped her way since she angered Christians on Wednesday for tweeting that people who eat at Chick fil-A deserve to get cancer. our editor recommends Chick-fil-A Recalls Jim Henson Company Toys Amid Gay Marriage Squabble Jim Henson Company Severs Relationship with Chick-Fil-A Over Gay Marriage Opposition Roseanne Barr Warns Obama Over Medical Marijuana on Letterman (Video) Roseanne Barr on Shortlist for Green Party Vice Presidential Nomination Her attack on the chicken restaurant stems from the company’s president and COO Dan Cathy recently proclaiming that the company is run on Biblical principles, including opposition to gay marriage. PHOTOS: Hollywood's Twitter Feuds Barr, though, supports same-sex marriage and apparently did not take kindly to Cathy's statement. “Anyone who eats [censored] Fil-A deserves to get the cancer that is sure to come from eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ,” the comedienne tweeted Wednesday. After a Twitter-storm erupted, in which people accused her of wishing cancer on Christians and supporters of Chick-fil-A, Barr tweeted: “Christian liars: I never wished cancer on you at all – jesus will punish u 4 ur deceit – I said processed foods cause cancer -- #chickfilA.” But Twitter users responded by throwing her original tweet back at her and accusing her of being the liar, until Barr apologized and clarified her position over a series of subsequent tweets. PHOTOS: Hollywood's Memorable Mea Culpas “Retreading my tweet I realize that I used the wrong word – I shouldn’t have used the word deserves,” read one tweet. “What I meant was not that ppl deserve cancer – at all. I meant to warn ppl not 2 eat processed food,” read another. All day Thursday, though, the angry tweets poured in, and Barr gamely re-tweeted some of them. “@TheRealRoseanne can always be counted on to be a totally immoral comedic moron, maternal failure and life long joke. Hilarious!” read one. “I can’t figure out why anyone still calls @TheRealRoseanne a celebrity or cares what [censored] she tweets #chickfilA,” read another. “One thing certain fake American ‘christian’ conservatives NEVER do – is forgive anybody for mistakes,” Barr tweeted in response to the criticism. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
M. T. Cross Posted August 2, 2012 Posted August 2, 2012 I would not wish cancer on anyone, but I think the chicken sandwich chain should do what they do best and stick to making food. Quote
Woody Posted August 2, 2012 Author Posted August 2, 2012 . Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted August 2, 2012 Administrators Posted August 2, 2012 Quote: “One thing certain fake American ‘christian’ conservatives NEVER do – is forgive anybody for mistakes,” Barr tweeted in response to the criticism. That is a sad observation and/or opinion, IMO. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
M. T. Cross Posted August 2, 2012 Posted August 2, 2012 Do you think that is an accurate observation and/or opinion though Gail? That is - as accurate as a blanket statement can acually be.... If I were to make that statement I would say that in my experience the majority of conservative christians I have met are quite unforgiving. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted August 2, 2012 Administrators Posted August 2, 2012 I don't know if it is accurate or not. The fact that someone thinks that or has experienced that is the sad thing. We as Christians have been forgiven much. According to the Bible (Luke 7:47) we should then love much- pay it forward. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Administrators Gail Posted August 2, 2012 Administrators Posted August 2, 2012 Even if in Roseanne's case if we don't feel it merits mercy, it's the reputation of being unforgiving that troubles me. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members phkrause Posted August 2, 2012 Members Posted August 2, 2012 I do not agree with RB, but she has the right to her opinion. The other thing is, how does she know that its conservative christian's that are making these comments about her? What I see is this, she can make whatever comments she wants but others are not allowed to make there comments. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Gerr Posted August 2, 2012 Moderators Posted August 2, 2012 Quote: “One thing certain fake American ‘christian’ conservatives NEVER do – is forgive anybody for mistakes,” Barr tweeted in response to the criticism. That is a sad observation and/or opinion, IMO. Is not forgiveness for the repentant? Quote
Administrators Naomi Posted August 2, 2012 Administrators Posted August 2, 2012 Even if in Roseanne's case if we don't feel it merits mercy, it's the reputation of being unforgiving that troubles me. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Administrators Gail Posted August 2, 2012 Administrators Posted August 2, 2012 Is not forgiveness for the repentant? Of course... but would an unrepentant even be concerned with forgiveness at all? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
LifeHiscost Posted August 2, 2012 Posted August 2, 2012 Quote: I would say that in my experience the majority of conservative christians I have met are quite unforgiving. Are you saying that as your own personal observation about how RB could have said it to be truthful and because that makes it a true statement and then you could agree with her EC? God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
LifeHiscost Posted August 2, 2012 Posted August 2, 2012 Quote: Is not forgiveness for the repentant? Repentance is a gift of God, I'm supposing delivered by the Holy Spirit. It's available to any child of God willing to accept it, deserving or undeserving. "Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins."Acts 5:31 NKJV To be perfectly fair with the Word, it does say repentance is given to Israel so I'm suggesting one needs to have accepted Jesus before the gift of repentance is available. "And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3:29 NKJV God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
LifeHiscost Posted August 2, 2012 Posted August 2, 2012 Quote: . but would an unrepentant even be concerned with forgiveness at all? "...according as God hath dealt to each man a measure of faith."Romans 12:3 ASV Even those who know nothing of God have been given the ability to know when repentance is needed. Only its' application is curtailed when that knowledge is ignored. "And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart."Jeremiah 29:13 NKJV God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
M. T. Cross Posted August 2, 2012 Posted August 2, 2012 Quote: I would say that in my experience the majority of conservative christians I have met are quite unforgiving. Are you saying that as your own personal observation about how RB could have said it to be truthful and because that makes it a true statement and then you could agree with her EC? God blesses! I am saying that had she said it that way it would have more accuracy, if that is what she has experienced. Blanket statements about anything are not that bright. Have you ever known someone that was in a relationship gone bad? "I hate all men" "I hate all women", - that type of thing irritates the life out of me. I am also saying that is my experience. The majority of conservitive Christians I have known are unforgiving and judgemental. However since I have not met every conservitive Christian I have no right to say that all are like that. I have also met people that would fall into that catagory that were non-judgemental and very forgiving. Quote
Neil D Posted August 3, 2012 Posted August 3, 2012 "Chick-fil-A says that thier ability to 'free speech' is threatened"..... I'm thinking they can say what they will, but does that speech reflect the love that God want His children to protray? [im thinking that there should be a Christian accountability/responsiblity for saying some hurtful things] If : we are children of God and God is our Father, as a Parent, THEN: doesn't He show how to love better than non-christians? [this is somewhat a retoricle question] BUT: someone felt hatred,all the while Christians were supporting issues... IOWs, issues were more important than people...And isn't it true that Christ died for people, not issues...And that Christ loved people, not issues..... Should not the Children of God be willing to support people rather than issues? If we supported people, then wouldn't the issues would take care of themselves....because then, they wouldn't be issues.... Concider one more point to this controversy.... by supporting the choice of Gays, you support life..If you support gay marriage, then thier lifestyle doesnt oppress you, the straight person, nor threatens your existance.. ..but by supporting the values of Chick-fil-a, you support those Chick-fil-A donations that go to oppress and in some countrys put to death, those who are gay.... welcome to the SDA connundrum Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Members phkrause Posted August 3, 2012 Members Posted August 3, 2012 You do make some good points Neil. I have no problem with gay marriage, as a christian I love all as Jesus did. Even if we support gay marriage or G&L, etc. Doesn't mean that we have to condone that lifestyle. I believe this is what many don't seem to understand, that just because they allow gays to marry, I guess they feel like there are supporting that lifestyle. As you say it is a connundrum. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators lazarus Posted August 3, 2012 Moderators Posted August 3, 2012 We as Christians have been forgiven much. According to the Bible (Luke 7:47) we should then love much- pay it forward. American conservative Christianity is more about country and culture than Christianity. US defense spending is not about defending the weak, the poor and the fatherless it's about defending American culture. The values of Christianity are secondary. Even when "christian' values are promoted, it's a selective promotion. Very few Christian conservatives talk about the problem of divorce that plagues America but of course homosexuality is the greatest threat. Why do they not talk about unbiblical divorce? It's because it's the sin that they, their pastors and their political leaders have fallen into. Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
fccool Posted August 3, 2012 Posted August 3, 2012 I don't think that there's a sense of consistency here. Anti-gay marriage speech = Free speech Anti-Fast food speech = Hate speech Roseann did very comparable thing, being gay. Let's compare the sub-text 1) If you are pushing gay marriage, you are inviting God's judgement ---...., which generally means hell breaking loose. Advocate gay marriage - you deserve to be judged by God via hell or death, or national downfall in the very least. I seriously doubt that by "God's judgement" he meant God shaking his finger in disdain. 2) Eat greased fast-food, and you deserve to get cancer that such fast food induces If free speech is what matters in this case, why all of the crying? Both statements are very similar in a way they portray cause-effect relationship of the matter. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted August 3, 2012 Administrators Posted August 3, 2012 Roseanne is gay? Was that before or after her 3 marriages? LOL Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members phkrause Posted August 4, 2012 Members Posted August 4, 2012 Some interesting thoughts fccool Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members phkrause Posted August 4, 2012 Members Posted August 4, 2012 lol, I think you meant Rosie O'donnell? Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
CoAspen Posted August 4, 2012 Posted August 4, 2012 Why would anyone take what a comedian, such as RB, seriously? Quote
Planey Posted August 4, 2012 Posted August 4, 2012 Roseanne is gay? Was that before or after her 3 marriages? LOL Quote Graeme____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.