BobRyan Posted December 1, 2012 Posted December 1, 2012 http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoft...tists-intv-.cnn CNN making the case with A.T. Jones and Seventh-day Adventists - that new converts tend to be more serious about their faith than anyone else. Do you see this? Do you see some long term Adventists backing away from God's messages found in the Bible and the prophetic ministry He gave Ellen White - while new converts are accepting them both? As I recall - the Forerunner video interview ends with the comment about James 4 - and the problem with Christians who view "Love of the World" as their mark of success in the Christian walk. (See for yourself) in Christ, Bob Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
Members phkrause Posted December 1, 2012 Members Posted December 1, 2012 Good points Bob, I'm in agreement with your post. But sometimes there is a tail off. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Dr. Waite Posted December 1, 2012 Posted December 1, 2012 Are the new converts converts to the SDA church and following the SDA church evangelists or pastors? or are they converts to Jesus Christ like his early disciples? See Matthew 9:9 "And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him." Quote grw
Moderators John317 Posted December 1, 2012 Moderators Posted December 1, 2012 Do you see some long term Adventists backing away from God's messages found in the Bible and the prophetic ministry He gave Ellen White - while new converts are accepting them both? This is exactly what Ellen White said would happened. She said the majority of SDAs would turn away from the truth and their place would be taken by people who had recently heard and accepted the truth. Both the Bible and EGW show us that if we aren't continually growing closer to God and practicing the truths we know, we will eventually grow cold and drop out. Isn't that what Jesus means in Rev. 3: 14ff when he says that since we're lukewarm, neither cold nor hot, He will spit us out of his mouth? How many SDAs have been given a knowledge of the Three Angels' Messages but don't put them into practice and don't help to teach them to others? With few exceptions, the kids that I grew up with in the church and at the SDA school are no longer in the SDA church. It's as if the whole generation that I grew up with was lost to the church. Personally I think it's nonsense to put the blame on the church. I dropped out of the church, too, but it wasn't because the church did anything wrong. The reason I dropped out was simply that I wanted to experience the world and I was attracted to the things of the flesh. I wanted my freedom to "do my own thing." That's the reason the Prodigal Son in Jesus' parable left home. The #1 reason I came back to the church was the prayers of many people who at the time I didn't even know were praying. I found out about them only after I decided to come back to Christ. It helped that I had great memories of growing up Adventist and good memories, too, of the church. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Moderators John317 Posted December 1, 2012 Moderators Posted December 1, 2012 ...after 25 years back in, I can look back and realize that certainly nobody ever came to visit me, but I don't dwell on that. Same here. While attending an SDA university, I had fun going with an Elder to visit church members who hadn't been seen at their local churches for awhile. That was a great experience. We would go on Sabbath afternoons. We would simply go to homes in order to let the people know we missed them and asked if there was anything the church could do for them. We were always welcomed. We never felt unwelcome. We would always pray with the person or with their entire family if they were there. I remember one time the person we went to visit turned out to be a student of theology at the university where we were in the same theology classes. He hadn't been to his regular church for a while because he was assigned by his class in Pastoral Ministry to work with a pastor in another church. We had a good laugh about that. I did this in order to bless people but the truth is I think I'm the one who got the greatest blessing from it. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Members phkrause Posted December 1, 2012 Members Posted December 1, 2012 I did this in order to bless people but the truth is I think I'm the one who got the greatest blessing from it. Funny how that works isn't it. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
BobRyan Posted December 2, 2012 Author Posted December 2, 2012 Good points Bob, I'm in agreement with your post. But sometimes there is a tail off. I enjoy reading all views even when they do not exactly agree with mine. Share ides - share details -- everybody wins. in Christ, Bob Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
Moderators Bravus Posted December 2, 2012 Moderators Posted December 2, 2012 I don't think it's so much 'blaming the church' as just observing the yawning chasm between claims and performance. If the claims were true, the performance would be different. Not in every case but in enough cases to be visible. Sorry, but it's just not. Quote Truth is important
BobRyan Posted December 2, 2012 Author Posted December 2, 2012 I am not clear as to whose performance you are judging in that statement Bravus. Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
BobRyan Posted December 4, 2012 Author Posted December 4, 2012 As stated in the OP -- CNN appears to be more insightful on at least one point than most may have suspected - http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoft...tists-intv-.cnn CNN making the case with A.T. Jones and Seventh-day Adventists - that new converts tend to be more serious about their faith than anyone else. in Christ, Bob Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
Gibs Posted December 5, 2012 Posted December 5, 2012 What I am wondering is, serious in what respect? That's the point needing to be found out. Are they more serious in knowing we must be overcomers and Christ made a way for each of us to accomplish that. This is where I find in most SDA churches the theology has changed. We see it here on this forum very strong and are we SDA's or are we something else? 1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. Quote A Freeman In Jesus Christ
Woody Posted December 6, 2012 Posted December 6, 2012 Quote: This is where I find in most SDA churches the theology has changed. Which of the 28 Fundamentals are you referring to as having been changed and what changes do you oppose? Or ... are you just referring to individual beliefs in some members that have changed? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
BobRyan Posted December 6, 2012 Author Posted December 6, 2012 What I am wondering is, serious in what respect? That's the point needing to be found out. Are they more serious in knowing we must be overcomers and Christ made a way for each of us to accomplish that. I think new converts view Christianity and especially the light given to the SDA church by God - be so amazing such a game changer - that it is worth sacrificing anything and everything to be in line with what God is trying to do at the end of time. But those who have been in the church a while tend to be to "familiar" with the culture and look for ways to make friends with the world - for friendship with the world is the sign of real Christianity -- at least in some sectors. And yet these "friends of the world" like A.T.Jones wish to come out of it -- as fast as possible in a true "come out of her my people" response to the Gospel. in Christ, Bob Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
BobRyan Posted December 7, 2012 Author Posted December 7, 2012 In any case - that CNN comment at the end is worth thinking about. in Christ, Bob Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.