OzarkWoman Posted February 15, 2013 Posted February 15, 2013 I am going to make my vegetarian Mexican style lasagna. I also made, yesterday, some of my take on the King's Hawaiian bread. Only, I made them into rolls. We have a couple of Ukranian families that are part of our church and they always have some delicious food. Going to be a great Sabbath. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted February 15, 2013 Administrators Posted February 15, 2013 Wish I was there! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members phkrause Posted February 15, 2013 Members Posted February 15, 2013 Wow sounds good, yum,yum,yum Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Ted Oplinger Posted February 16, 2013 Posted February 16, 2013 We have an International Sabbath tomorrow - celebrating the representative nationalities in our church. Currently, I'm making some Bavarian sauerkraut (served warm) to represent Germany tomorrow. Smells great here right now! Blessings! Quote "As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17 "The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne "The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan
Members phkrause Posted February 16, 2013 Members Posted February 16, 2013 We have an International Sabbath tomorrow - celebrating the representative nationalities in our church. Currently, I'm making some Bavarian sauerkraut (served warm) to represent Germany tomorrow. Smells great here right now! Blessings! And your serving that with bradwurst I hope. HaHaHa just kidding. :) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Johann Posted February 18, 2013 Posted February 18, 2013 Who uses Sauerkraut? I was married to a German woman for 51 years, and I suppose we had Sauerkraut 4 or 5 times. But that Mexican vegetarian lasagna we had generally once a month, and it was delicious. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted February 18, 2013 Administrators Posted February 18, 2013 I can't get enough sauerkraut! I had some German sauerkraut around Christmastime, with the carrots and onions, and that is nice once in a while, but I still prefer the regular plain sort. YUM! Now that Mexican vegetarian lasagna- that sounds wonderful! Some people are just so creative and talented in the kitchen! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Moderators Gerr Posted February 18, 2013 Moderators Posted February 18, 2013 We have Ukrainian friends, and I just love their borscht. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted February 18, 2013 Administrators Posted February 18, 2013 We have Ukrainian friends, and I just love their borscht. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members phkrause Posted February 18, 2013 Members Posted February 18, 2013 When I was a boy, my Mom used to make sauerkraut all the time. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 18, 2013 Posted February 18, 2013 My Dad was famous in our neck of woods for his sauerkraut pancakes. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Johann Posted February 18, 2013 Posted February 18, 2013 Reminds me of the Pfankuchen Haus - pancake house - in Hameln, Germany, where one could get all kinds of imaginable delicious pancakes in between the old rafters squeaking like they might fall apart any moment. We had to get some any time we got within reasonable driving distance from that Rattenfängerstadt - rat hunting town - of Hameln. It is also the town where a Danish king and his horse fell off the wall when he attempted to fight in a war. About 60 km south of Hannover - next time you take a trip to Germany to see where Martin Luther nailed his points of disagreement on the church door. But that is much farther to the east. Quote
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted February 22, 2013 Moderators Posted February 22, 2013 Sauerkraut is not for me. But, I will enjoy Korean Kimchi! In fact, there was a time when I would make it and often take it to Sabbath potluck! Quote Gregory
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted February 25, 2013 Moderators Posted February 25, 2013 And, we like to take the fruit Durian to gatherings where people are eating. Durian is tasty and makes a good milkshake. Quote Gregory
Moderators Gerr Posted February 25, 2013 Moderators Posted February 25, 2013 And, we like to take the fruit Durian to gatherings where people are eating. Durian is tasty and makes a good milkshake. Any complaints about the smell? Actually, I find the smell of fresh dorian pleasant. BTW, what's your recipe for this milkshake, Greg? I've got 2 in my freezer right now. Quote
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted February 26, 2013 Moderators Posted February 26, 2013 Milkshake: A commercial one purchased in Modesto, California. A small hole-in the wall snack shop across from a High school that makes different shakes on order. I think how they do it is take a uniform ice cream base and blend the durian (mango or whatever) into it. It was good. My wife picked up some frozen durian, commercially prepared, and took it to church Saturday. NOTE: It is a violation of Federal law to bring fresh durian into the U.S. One can bring frozen durian in. When we visit San Francisco, we see the previously frozen durian fruit on sale. Quote Gregory
Moderators Nan Posted March 1, 2013 Moderators Posted March 1, 2013 Milkshake: A commercial one purchased in Modesto, California. A small hole-in the wall snack shop across from a High school that makes different shakes on order. I think how they do it is take a uniform ice cream base and blend the durian (mango or whatever) into it. It was good. My wife picked up some frozen durian, commercially prepared, and took it to church Saturday. NOTE: It is a violation of Federal law to bring fresh durian into the U.S. One can bring frozen durian in. When we visit San Francisco, we see the previously frozen durian fruit on sale. It is a violation in Singapore to take fresh durian on public transport......or into many hotels. Wise people in Singapore. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted March 1, 2013 Administrators Posted March 1, 2013 You know, you guys are making me SO curious! I know I have tried durian in the past but it's been so long now. I remember not being too turned off by it. I wonder if an imported one in a local store will be good at all. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
nuff sed Posted March 2, 2013 Posted March 2, 2013 I doubt seriously that it is "prohibited by law" to import fresh Durian anywhere in the world. The problem comes when Airlines and hotels can and do prohibit it on their properties because of its overpowering odor. When we lived in Singapore in the '60s Durian was imported from Malaysia by the ton.. Most Durian outside the areas where it grows is flash frozen because it will turn rotten if not eaten within 48 hours from harvest.If frozen it has little odor until thawed out. Frozen durians are at an all-time high of $2.69 lb. here in Orlando. Be prepared for an overall price of $12-18 per Durian. This is the reason I can afford it only sporadically. I am planning my next trip to Southeast Asia to coincide specifically with the time Durian is ripe. "Durian lovers of the world "UNITE"... Nuff Sed Quote
Members phkrause Posted March 2, 2013 Members Posted March 2, 2013 So nuff sed? How ripe do you want it to get?? Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted March 2, 2013 Administrators Posted March 2, 2013 Not even Andrew Zimmern of the Bizarre Foods Show on the Travel Channel likes durian. And that man eats and enjoys some of the most disgusting and foul things imaginable. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted March 2, 2013 Moderators Posted March 2, 2013 I pack a lunch box to work every day. My wife makes it the day before and the lunch box sits in the frige. When I open the lunch box the next day at work, I immediately smell durian due to the fact that we have some in the frige. Quote Gregory
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.