Administrators Gail Posted March 22, 2013 Administrators Posted March 22, 2013 And do you like it when people do that? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
LifeHiscost Posted March 22, 2013 Posted March 22, 2013 And do you like it when people do that? Does that include shaking or clasping hands upon greeting? God cares! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Administrators Gail Posted March 22, 2013 Author Administrators Posted March 22, 2013 Nope. That is just a greeting. I'm talking about the normal course of conversation. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Moderators Gerr Posted March 22, 2013 Moderators Posted March 22, 2013 Rarely do I ever touch another person in conversation. And I don't like it when someone gets too close I could feel tiny droplets on my face or smell bad breath. Quote
LifeHiscost Posted March 22, 2013 Posted March 22, 2013 Rarely do I ever touch another person in conversation. And I don't like it when someone gets too close I could feel tiny droplets on my face or smell bad breath. You do make a point. I hope you're involved in something a hermit would find acceptable. I don't believe we'll have halatosis as a problem in heaven so maybe you'll find a comfortable secluded spot there with some of your own. Is this one of those subjects that would be better on "Things we don't talk about" and few frequent as a result? God cares! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Members phkrause Posted March 22, 2013 Members Posted March 22, 2013 Every day and evening I ask God to guide my words when speaking to whomever I come in contact with be it face to face, or on C/A, etc. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Liz Posted March 22, 2013 Posted March 22, 2013 It depends on if I know them well or not. If I just met you, then no, I wouldn't touch you. The better I know you then, yes, sometimes I do touch while conversing. I also talk with my hands, so the touching isn't a constant thing. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Woody Posted March 22, 2013 Posted March 22, 2013 Personal Space needs to be respected. Unless you know the person --- back off. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Daryl Posted March 23, 2013 Posted March 23, 2013 At what point do you say or feel you know the person? Quote In His Love, Mercy & Grace Daryl http://www.maritime-sda-online.com https://www.pugwashsdachurch.org/media?page=1&sort_by=Date&is_ascending=0&search=&tags=&presenter=
Members phkrause Posted March 23, 2013 Members Posted March 23, 2013 I guess when I responded Gail, I was thinking "touch" had a different meaning than what you had in mind. I had to reread the title after reading a few posts. All I can say is: oops! :) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Gail Posted March 23, 2013 Author Administrators Posted March 23, 2013 I think that some people do it without thinking... Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
bluebelle Posted March 23, 2013 Posted March 23, 2013 Only if the person and I have known each other for a while, but sometimes people touch me after a few minutes of meeting me. Quote
LifeHiscost Posted March 23, 2013 Posted March 23, 2013 Nope. That is just a greeting. I'm talking about the normal course of conversation. As a normal thing, no. However when I sense a person (male or female) needs something more than a word to express empathy, decidedly yes. As a salesperson, many years ago when it wasn't fashionable to "touch" anyone other than politicians kissing babies, one of our most successful sales teachers taught a general rule in meeting someone for the first time, was not only to shake hands but he termed it "pressing the flesh", which included reaching out with the second hand to clasp the newly acquainted's hand. His major point was, "Nobody buys unless he/she is a friend". God cares! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Administrators Naomi Posted March 23, 2013 Administrators Posted March 23, 2013 My early sales training was as Life's ... moreover, my family and old family friends always greet with a hug (not the full body romantic hug) but a side-way hug. I see nothing wrong with the human touch; suppose it is what you chose to make it. That being said, body language will tell you if a person does not want to have 'their space' violated by a touch in which case I usually avoid even a hand shake ....I do honor the desires of those who indicate they wish to have no personal contact, and appreciate the open friendly people who (not those who go overboard) can express some emotion by a casual touch or hug. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Moderators Gerr Posted March 24, 2013 Moderators Posted March 24, 2013 Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo Rarely do I ever touch another person in conversation. And I don't like it when someone gets too close I could feel tiny droplets on my face or smell bad breath. You do make a point. I hope you're involved in something a hermit would find acceptable. I don't believe we'll have halatosis as a problem in heaven so maybe you'll find a comfortable secluded spot there with some of your own. Is this one of those subjects that would be better on "Things we don't talk about" and few frequent as a result? God cares! No, I'm not a hermit. I consider myself friendly although not known for being outgoing. I just want a little space between me and the person I'm conversing with. Quote
LifeHiscost Posted April 2, 2013 Posted April 2, 2013 I'll have to admit, if I had to hug these two, I wouldn't find it difficult to dream up a good excuse to leave suddenly. http://news.yahoo.com/two-dangerous-inmates-escaped-texas-jail-163304108--abc-news-topstories.html God cares! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
joeb Posted April 2, 2013 Posted April 2, 2013 Do I touch people when I talk to them? Yup. I hit them over the head with a 2x4.... Quote Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.Alexis de Tocqueville
Members phkrause Posted April 2, 2013 Members Posted April 2, 2013 Do I touch people when I talk to them? Yup. I hit them over the head with a 2x4.... Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Gail Posted April 2, 2013 Author Administrators Posted April 2, 2013 Do I touch people when I talk to them? Yup. I hit them over the head with a 2x4.... Pillows are more fun! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
M. T. Cross Posted April 2, 2013 Posted April 2, 2013 I am a pretty touchy person, but it depends on the situation and the person as well. Quote
olger Posted April 3, 2013 Posted April 3, 2013 Keep yer mitts to yo'self pilgrim Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
cooldude Posted April 3, 2013 Posted April 3, 2013 Yes, I think shaking hands with both hands conveys more warmth, acceptance and engagement. But I think a good rule for the conversation after the handshake is to respect the person's physical space. Not everyone is comfortable with being touched. Conversation is about engaging the mind. Quote
cricket Posted April 3, 2013 Posted April 3, 2013 Do you touch people when you talk to them? No. And do you like it when people do that? Absolutely not. Quote
JoeMo Posted April 3, 2013 Posted April 3, 2013 It depends on the person, their gender, and the location/environment. I'm a fairly physical person and described by others as non-threatening; so I generally am open to appropriate physical contact before, after or during conversation. Quote
LifeHiscost Posted April 3, 2013 Posted April 3, 2013 Do you touch people when you talk to them? No. And do you like it when people do that? Absolutely not. As a believer, writing to my brother who was somewhere in limbo, I sent him some video of the love of Christ bound up in some of Jesus' teachings, eventually including a couple of medium sized pictures of Jesus embracing (full body) a person entering the heavenly home. At a later time when my brother died, I drove two states away to help tie up his estate. Upon entering his house I found one of the pictures on the wall directly behind his desk and the other one placed flat on the surface of his desk, probably where his business activity was normally carried out on a daily bsis. I've never regretted sending the pictures nor the position reflected in the pictures of Jesus giving one of those He loved, a welcoming embrace just before his entrance into the Kingdom. That I know of, my brother was not a Seventh Day Adventist, nor did he attend a church of any kind. But the pictures, where he most certainly observed Jesus' willingness to touch him physically, the first opportunity He would get, most assuredly revealed the place my brother will spend eternity. Both my wife and I look forward to sharing that eternity with my brother, at least partially a result of the influence we offered him, through the medium of a couple of scenes of Christ's love by touching, when my brother was still in the valley of decision. God cares! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.