Jump to content
ClubAdventist

If I'd only known sooner


Recommended Posts

Posted

Colin Powell’s 13 Rules of Leadership

Powell revealed his set of guidelines for effective leadership, based on his years of experience as a soldier and a statesman. He devised the list for the benefit of all leaders, but said it’s especially appropriate for both VCs and entrepreneurs trolling for funding.

1. It ain’t as bad as you think.

2. Get mad, then get over it.

3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.

4. It can be done.

5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.

6. Don’t let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.

7. You can’t make someone else’s choices.

8. Check small things.

9. Share credit.

10. Remain calm. Be kind.

11. Have a vision.

12. Don’t take counsel of your fears or naysayers.

13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

Either I completely misunderstand rule 6, or it's so incompatible with good leadership that it isn't funny.

I don't see how a good decision can be made when ignoring adverse facts.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville
Posted

Quote:
6. Don’t let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.

Quote:
Either I completely misunderstand rule 6, or it's so incompatible with good leadership that it isn't funny.

I don't see how a good decision can be made when ignoring adverse facts.

Many decisions in our personal life and business life are "damned if you do and damned if you don't" decisions. For example - If you make the "good decision" to follow the Christian God (or any other spirit diety) rather than men no matter what, there may eventually be adverse consequences - like being tortured and killed for your faith and being banned from the market place (not being able to buy or sell). If you make the "good decision" to follow the world, there may eventually be adverse consequences - like burning in the lake of fire and dying forever. There are pro's and con's to just about anything we decide to do. I think rule 6 is just saying "don't become paralyzed in your decision making by the 'what-ifs'".

Posted

Many decisions in our personal life and business life are "damned if you do and damned if you don't" decisions. For example - If you make the "good decision" to follow the Christian God (or any other spirit diety) rather than men no matter what, there may eventually be adverse consequences - like being tortured and killed for your faith and being banned from the market place (not being able to buy or sell). If you make the "good decision" to follow the world, there may eventually be adverse consequences - like burning in the lake of fire and dying forever. There are pro's and con's to just about anything we decide to do. I think rule 6 is just saying "don't become paralyzed in your decision making by the 'what-ifs'".

JoeMo,

Adverse facts ≠ adverse consequences

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville
Posted

Quote:
Adverse facts [do not equal] adverse consequences

I don't know if I agree with that equation, Joe. If I know as a fact that a decision I make will have adverse consequences,it equals an adverse fact. As a believer, I know for a fact that if the end of time occurs while I am alive, my standard of living and my personal safety will be in grave danger. I also know as a fact that if I give into the world and take on the mark of the beast, my eternal safety will be in great danger. An "either/or" decision, both accompanied by adverse facts.

Another thing - adversity is a relative thing. For example, in the U.S., people consider the decision to remove prayer and the 10 Commandments from public schools a sad and evil thing -even religious persecution. Others look at it as a victory for religious liberty - putting the responsibility for religious education back on the family where it belongs. For people in some non-Christian countries, people who become Christians would consider simply banning Christian prayer and the 10 Commandments from public schools a relative blessing compared to the personal danger and persecution they currently face.

Posted

I don't know if I agree with that equation, Joe. If I know as a fact that a decision I make will have adverse consequences,it equals an adverse fact. As a believer, I know for a fact that if the end of time occurs while I am alive, my standard of living and my personal safety will be in grave danger. I also know as a fact that if I give into the world and take on the mark of the beast, my eternal safety will be in great danger. An "either/or" decision, both accompanied by adverse facts.

Another thing - adversity is a relative thing. For example, in the U.S., people consider the decision to remove prayer and the 10 Commandments from public schools a sad and evil thing -even religious persecution. Others look at it as a victory for religious liberty - putting the responsibility for religious education back on the family where it belongs. For people in some non-Christian countries, people who become Christians would consider simply banning Christian prayer and the 10 Commandments from public schools a relative blessing compared to the personal danger and persecution they currently face.

facts ≠ consequences

These words do not even have the same definitions. So how they can equal each other is beyond me. So, I guess I'll just have do agree to disagree.... :>))

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville
  • Members
Posted

Colin Powell’s 13 Rules of Leadership

Powell revealed his set of guidelines for effective leadership, based on his years of experience as a soldier and a statesman. He devised the list for the benefit of all leaders, but said it’s especially appropriate for both VCs and entrepreneurs trolling for funding.

1. It ain’t as bad as you think.

2. Get mad, then get over it.

3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.

4. It can be done.

5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.

6. Don’t let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.

7. You can’t make someone else’s choices.

8. Check small things.

9. Share credit.

10. Remain calm. Be kind.

11. Have a vision.

12. Don’t take counsel of your fears or naysayers.

13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

God cares! peace

Thanks for the post. I think I remember a interview he had where he made these statements. Great statements, from a great man.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Quote:
There are pro's and con's to just about anything we decide to do. I think rule 6 is just saying "don't become paralyzed in your decision making by the 'what-ifs'".

Excellent discernment. I understand that's a gift of the Holy Spirit.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...