Jump to content
ClubAdventist

In Heaven - Shhhhhh! Adventists think they're the only ones here.


Recommended Posts

Posted

I got the idea for this post after looking at the post on the German SDA church that is rejecting EGW...and so I began to ponder:

We always get so tied-up in trying to be "Adventists". That's one of our biggest downfalls. I see a general theme everywhere in our church. I even see it smeared all over this forum, what do SDA's believe, who are "we", what do SDA's think about this or that, how to be a good "Adventist", bla bla bla.

The Adventist church is just a family of Christians who happen to believe as I do, so I joined them. I could care less about the label!

What does it mean to be an Adventist bla bla bla... What does it mean to be a Christian is the question.

I am by no means an EGW hater, I accept her writings and test them by scripture. I have a book shelf full of her. However, what if a group believes all the Bible truths, Sabbath, state of dead, clean diet, saved by grace, destroying hellfire, etc. But they don't know EGW or don't care to learn about anything she wrote.

Do we believe that they will burn in the Lake of Fire? We may say "no". But really we lie! Because actions speak louder than words. How do we act and what do we do if some one does not include EGW alongside every Bible study? What do we really think if they say they do not accept her? Really we do believe that EGW is required for salvation.

I believe that salvation is possible with the canon alone and without EGW. If civil law allowed, and the SDA church were in charge, I could be burned at the stake for making this statement.

There's a small church a few miles across town where I live and they believe EXACTLY as SDA's do with the exception of 1844 and they are not familiar with EGW. (They don't disagree with 1844 and it's significance necessarily, they are just unknowing of it.) I've known of this group for many years and attend there often because they have a later church service. I once told my pastor of them, which of course he did not believe me. Basically, he said I must be mistaken, no one could know all of that without help from SDA or EGW.

Well, it happened one day, we all met up at a mutual funeral service and so afterwards I introduced my pastor to their pastor and they went at it for a long time. After an extensive quizzing period my pastor came to the amazing astounding conclusion that I was correct. They DO believe exactly as we do.

So then my pastor informed them that SDA's were still RIGHT and that they were WRONG because God's last day church must have a prophet, and took them through the familiar routine (testimony of Christ is spirit of prophecy bla bla bla)Revelation texts. I was ashamed.

This initial meeting sparked a period of meetings between them, which after a while, the other pastor informed my pastor politely that our prophet seemed to be a Godly lady, and he enjoyed reading, but if it was all the same, they preferred to just stick to the Bible alone. (And of course they'd have to give their church to the conference, their 20 year senior pastor would have to take a seat, and they'd have to wait on a conference assigned pastor to drop by every few weeks.) What a deal!! saywa

My pastor was heartbroken. His demeanor was as if he had lost a loved one. That was about 10 years ago and still to this day I believe that my pastor believes those people are lost simply because they do not study EGW.

I respectfully disagree. All the time we say that there will be people form other churches in Heaven etc. But do we really believe that? Really? We are so concerned with being a part of the "club" and having the title of Adventist.

I have heard Doug Bachelor say many times that he's an Adventist because the beliefs are what most accurately align with scripture, and that's good. I hope he's really being honest. But I often wonder, not about him unparticular, but about us all; is that really why we are Adventists?... or is really just about being "Adddd-ventists-ahh".

I used to vehemently defend our church against people who called us a cult, but now sometimes I stop and wonder about how we must look from the outside, and about what our actions say, because actions really do speak louder than words.

Posted

My pastor was heartbroken. His demeanor was as if he had lost a loved one. That was about 10 years ago and still to this day I believe that my pastor believes those people are lost simply because they do not study EGW.

It would appear that the pastor in question does not have a mature understanding as to the role of prophecy in relation to the Gospel work - as is the case with a good many SDA's.

I applaud the congregation who found the same beliefs in the Bible that Adventists share. It would be an interesting study in to the theological history of how they came by those beliefs. That they do not as yet see the need to incorporate the Spirit of prophecy and the ministry of EGW into those beliefs is what piques Adventist pride, because...

...guides are sent to those who could or have lost their way due to unfamiliarity with the terrain; they are not sent with those who know the way implicitly and are familiar with the terrain...

...doctors are sent to treat and assist the infirm and the blind, not to those of robust health and keen sight. All the doctor can do with the latter is but affirm health and sight; it is with the former they proscribe treatments for...

Jesus makes the same link in John 9:35-41, after healing the blind man. He could truly see - spiritually, and recognized in His Healer his Redeemer. The Pharisees looking on, deeming themselves as guides for the "spiritually blind masses", were blinded by their pride, and discerned not their Redeemer who could make them truly see.

Rather than being a point of pride, SDA's should regard their continued reliance upon prophecy as a humbling point - that we are NOT as spiritually healthy as we ought be, and we are NOT as familiar with the Bible terrain as we think we are.

Rather than claiming to be the elite the Redeemed, we should realize such pride makes us the least qualified among our contemporaries to be there, do to the ill use we make of God's messages for today.

Food for thought...

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Posted

There's hardly a denomination around, if any, that doesn't feel the same way. There is no need to single out Adventists.

Remember Adventists Online?

Posted

Pride is the root of evil. It was lucifer's downfall and corrupted the Pharisees. Frankly, I am a follower of Christ first, and secondly, a member of the SDA church. We as a church should never be prideful that we have the Spirit of Prophesy, but should feel sad that others do not.

I whole heartedly believe that anyone can find the truth using the scripture and scripture alone. In fact, EGW even stated as much. Her writings should never be taken as a matter for salvation, nor are they regarded as Cannon. Yet, not adhearing to the Spirit of Prophesy can indirectly affect Salvation in that it can consequently sweep a person into delusion. The spirit of prophesy is there to aid us discern light from darkness and to lift the veil of secrecy erected by those who have, and who are either knowingly or unknowingly conspiring to win souls for Lucifer.

  • Administrators
Posted

What I appreciated about Glenn Coon is that he had an attitude of looking at people's good points and commonalities rather than how they are different from us.

Somehow the idea of focusing of how people are different (and therefore wrong or not as "good") grates against me. I don't know if I can go as far as saying that it's Satan's work to accuse each other, but that is how I feel (and God help me when I am guilty of it!).

How can we be so proud as to tell people how God is judging them? How can we be so narrow as to actually believe this? Is this a "self" thing that makes us do this?

It is like we are putting God into a can with a lock on it that only we have the key to. I mean, we have been blessed with a LOT in the denomination but we are not the only ones that God has blessed by His Spirit.

AND... I wonder if people are in a state of joy when they talk to others in this way. I just wonder about the spirit that keeps us so negative.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

  • Members
Posted
There's hardly a denomination around, if any, that doesn't feel the same way. There is no need to single out Adventists.
Exactly Windsor, but I guess if we have an agenda, it seems to be the way to go.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Quote:
Is this a "self" thing that makes us do this?

Absolutely. Self and pride are pretty much one and the same. Self is at the root of every one of our failings.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville
Posted

Pride is the root of evil. It was lucifer's downfall and corrupted the Pharisees. Frankly, I am a follower of Christ first, and secondly, a member of the SDA church. We as a church should never be prideful that we have the Spirit of Prophesy, but should feel sad that others do not.

I whole heartedly believe that anyone can find the truth using the scripture and scripture alone. In fact, EGW even stated as much. Her writings should never be taken as a matter for salvation, nor are they regarded as Cannon. Yet, not adhearing to the Spirit of Prophesy can indirectly affect Salvation in that it can consequently sweep a person into delusion. The spirit of prophesy is there to aid us discern light from darkness and to lift the veil of secrecy erected by those who have, and who are either knowingly or unknowingly conspiring to win souls for Lucifer.

:like::like::like::like::like:

I've never heard someone explain so clearly and concisely the facts as they are stated from the pen of Ellen White herself, not to mention my own journey to find Jesus, Who is paramount for my confidence that I will find my home with Him as my best Friend, only Savior, and Lord and Master, despite the obvious flaws that exist in my life at this time, according to the Word.

"Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]—"

Ephesians 3:20 AMP brackets parenthesis their's LHC

"...for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure."Philippians 2:12 NKJV

"And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:8 NLT

God cares!! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

The writings of EGW do not appeal to EVERYONE the same way. I find that some had rather read EGW than read the scriptures. I don't mean that in a bad way. They like her style of writing and can understand things better and can see clearer etc. Others, depending on personality and how their brain works, get more enjoyment out of reading the Bible.

If we're going to be waiting at the dentist office etc. some would grab a DA to take for reading... I on the other hand would whip out the KJV. Not that one is wrong, but to "me", the Bible is actually easier to understand and I ALWAYS learn new every time I open it. I'm afraid if I miss an opportunity to read it, I may miss something new. That book is alive!! It actually grows like a tree. I can not get enough. It's just how my brain works I guess.

Many have came to Jesus through reading one of her books and that's cool I guess. But I came because one day many years ago I thought I'd sit down and just see what this Bible thing was all about. The first night I started with Genesis chapter 1 and a cold beer in my hand. I read through the Bible in about a four month period, and at the end of that four months I was a new man (glass of water to say the least:). So the Bible is a very special and dear salvation tool for me.

Now days I try to make it a point to read the Bible through once a year every year. It takes me a little longer to read it through now because I know more about it. I find the more I know the longer it takes to read it through... strange huh?

Posted

Quote:
We always get so tied-up in trying to be "Adventists". That's one of our biggest downfalls. I see a general theme everywhere in our church.

The message Seventh Day Adventists bear, a message that no other church bears, especially for last day preparation for last day events which the bible deems right at the door, given to help all people and any person receive everlasting life, how can that objective be accomplished without drawing attention to what God asks one to be? You tell me.

All have a right to reject outright that sense of answering God's call. No one has been given the right to sit in judgment on another's calling when it doesn't fit into their sense of God's call for themselves. God will in His own good time, make the distinction plain as to who is or who has not been answering His call.

" Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching." 2 Tim 4:2 NLT

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

Adventists?... that's what God has asked people to be?? Adventists?

While I'll agree that maybe theoretically the "ideal" Adventist meets the criteria of what God requires. It's not the name (Adventist) that he requires... its obedience to his word and a personal relationship with him, not the name of the church.

Posted

While I'll agree that maybe theoretically the "ideal" Adventist meets the criteria of what God requires. It's not the name (Adventist) that he requires... its obedience to his word and a personal relationship with him, not the name of the church.

I agree with that, Hair.

Posted

Originally Posted By: Hair
While I'll agree that maybe theoretically the "ideal" Adventist meets the criteria of what God requires. It's not the name (Adventist) that he requires... its obedience to his word and a personal relationship with him, not the name of the church.

I agree with that, Hair.

While the name is not what God calls people to, the message, when presented as it is in Jesus, is.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville
Posted

Evidently this had no recognition or else it is a uniqueness not felt to be important.

Quote:
a message that no other church bears,

"For on My holy mountain, on the high mountain of Israel,” declares the Lord God, “there the whole house of Israel, all of them, will serve Me in the land; there I will accept them and there I will seek your contributions and the choicest of your gifts, with all your holy things."

Ezekiel 20:40 NASB

"And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise."Gal 3:28 NASB

Perhaps this might be understood better.

http://www.flixxy.com/the-johnson-brothe...LbKiu6d2M.gmail

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

Well, those two brothers from the sandwich shop can sing fairly well, I'd say. :)

Posted

forsooth.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

  • Administrators
Posted

Stan thumbsup

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

  • Moderators
Posted

Has any ever thought that Adventists will be the only there? Never come across that myself.

How many will be in heaven who were not looking for the Lord's coming, i.e. Adventist?

Posted

Your description of your Pastor's demeanor comes across as another subjective smear job to me.

I've heard of small churches that believe just as adventists do. I've never run across such a church, but I don't doubt they exist somewhere, in scattered places. The charecteristic that distinguishes this church is that is it a world wide church, with a global message. The commission is to go into all the world.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

  • Members
Posted

Do we believe that they will burn in the Lake of Fire? We may say "no". But really we lie! Because actions speak louder than words. How do we act and what do we do if some one does not include EGW alongside every Bible study? What do we really think if they say they do not accept her? Really we do believe that EGW is required for salvation.

James White and Seventh-day Baptists

Consider James White's attitude toward the Seventh-day Baptists, who, by the way, did not accept the prophetic ministry of EGW:

1. He republished their works in the Review and Herald.

2. He visited their General Conference meetings and welcomed their leaders to Adventist meetings. (1860s)

3. He advised Adventist ministers to not try to establish churches in small villages where Seventh-day Baptists already had a presence.

There is no indication that the ministry of Ellen White was ever held up as a test by James White in the early days of Adventism. Her work was important to the believers but they drew an interesting balance.

  • Administrators
Posted

i don't know any Adventist member who is tied up trying to be an Adventist, nor have i known any for the many decades of membership.

But i have experienced and seen many seeking to be Christians.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...