Jump to content
ClubAdventist

immortality of your consciousness..


Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted

whoaaa!!!

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

  • Administrators
Posted

Let me see if I understand the potential progression of this theory. The necessary disks required could possibly be in this order:

1) Your Brain On A Laser Beam

2) Brain 2.0

3) Brain 2.0 for Dummy's

LOLROFL

Oops , has about as much relevance as other theories I have heard.

tomato

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

  • Members
Posted

I thought it was an extremely interesting theory... thinking of it as cute or funny never occurred to me.. maybe my funny bone's out-a-whack! :)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

  • Administrators
Posted

I'm with you, Pam. Very interesting stuff. Michio Kaku is a fascinating person, not to mention, no slouch as a scientist, academic, speaker, etc. Get an idea here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku .

I just watched an interview from the Daily Show with Jon Stewart from this week expanding on what he is talking about in the clip you posted. See it here - http://screen.yahoo.com/the-daily-show/michio-kaku-050000181.html .

The book in question is -

post-109-140967461827_thumb.jpg

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Posted

It's very much an extension of Ray Kurzweil's research, which went private when he joined Google.

I think that the most uncomfortable thing in all of this is conflating "you" with mere algorithmic arrangement of the data in your brain. Perhaps it is fighting the uncomfortable dissociation from "self" that bring about some negative "feeling" about it, but if I did die, and the functional brain that I have is copied to a machine - does it make it "me"?

All of this brings about some disturbing concepts that we previously only questioned when we read someone like Philip K. Dick in the past. And I can't help but feel these reducing us to mere organic data-copies, which can be erased at will. I don't know about you, but at least for me it does diminish the purpose and wonder of our organic experience, and turns it into something that can be contained in a box, and turned on and turned off at will.

I find it extremely unsettling and disturbing, and I'm not sure if I could ever get used to this idea... even though I'm heavily involved with technology and AI. I tend to separate computing and human, and I think it should never merge, although I know it eventually will... and already do in case of prosthetic technology restoring sight, and curing many things that were not otherwise possible.

There are obviously ups and downs to all of this development.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...