Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Just tell me as a Christian!


Recommended Posts

Posted

How would you apply this counsel__________

"Finally, all [of you] should be of one and the same mind (united in spirit), sympathizing [with one another], loving [each other] as brethren [of one household], compassionate and courteous (tenderhearted and humble).

Never return evil for evil or insult for insult (scolding, tongue-lashing, berating), but on the contrary blessing [praying for their welfare, happiness, and protection, and truly pitying and loving them]. For know that to this you have been called, that you may yourselves inherit a blessing [from God—that you may obtain a blessing as heirs, bringing welfare and happiness and protection].

For let him who wants to enjoy life and see good days [good—whether apparent or not] keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from guile (treachery, deceit)."

1 Peter 3:8-10 AMP brackets parenthesis theirs' LHC

__________with this circumstance before,__________and after?

http://news.yahoo.com/police-fla-father-beats-accused-child-abuser-193806138.html

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

  • Members
Posted

I say, "good for that dad!!"

I can't imagine any father encountering that situation, upon seeing his son being sexually molested, would simply stand there and courteously say, "You poor soul." "Please don't do that to my son." "Let me pray for you."

Sometimes I think the exhortations of the Bible are not being read with the common sense that is also a gift from God...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Posted

I can't tell you as a Christian, pagan or any other "ian" but I sure can tell you as a father........

Posted

The parable of the Good Samaritan suggests to me that we do have to intervene and take action when we see injustice. I suspect most fathers would do what this father did and in many cases the rock spider involved would not have lived to be charged.

Still its fair to say that the Bible pretty openly supports Pacifism and Non Violence. My suggestion is that common sense applies in how we interpret that. Its also important in the above case to suggest that Gods counsel to us via the Old Testament still has to be considered also.

  • Members
Posted

I'm pretty sure that, when Jesus came upon the money changers at the temple, he didn't turn over the tables gentle and bless each person as he was doing so. The reason I mention this situation, is because, I believe to Jesus, this was the same as molesting his children. Not sure the analogy applies perfectly, but you get the idea.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Moderators
Posted

The text is talking about loving each other. The other day I was walking down the street and passed two ladies who were walking together and having an argument. Each was trying to out due the other in having the last word. I felt so sad for them. I wish they were following this text.

However in the case of something like a child molester, part of love is to discourage the worst in people and to protect the weak. It is an act of love to stop the child molester.

  • Moderators
Posted

Quote:
Neutering might have been another option.

Sexuality resides in the brain. Neutering has no documented effect on sexual predators.

Gregory

  • Members
Posted

Quote:
Neutering might have been another option.

Sexuality resides in the brain. Neutering has no documented effect on sexual predators.

That's interesting GM, have they tried that and found that out?

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Administrators
Posted

Can't blame the dad. He was acting out of love for his boy. I hope that the offender seeks help- in jail guys like that receive much worse punishment.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Posted

And I thought of something else that would mitigate the circumstances in referencing the scripture text presented.

"Finally, all [of you] should be of one and the same mind (united in spirit), sympathizing [with one another], loving [each other] as brethren [of one household], compassionate and courteous (tenderhearted and humble).

1 Peter 3:8-10 AMP brackets parenthesis theirs' LHC

This is counsel for the brethren one for another, the body of Christ. And if as Gail is so kindly considering, the offender doesn't receive willingly the counseling that might be available to him, God has other means.

"And it came to pass on a certain night that the angel of the Lord went out, and killed in the camp of the Assyrians one hundred and eighty-five thousand; and when people arose early in the morning, there were the corpses—all dead."2 Kings 19:35 NKJV

God is love and He protects His own.

God is love! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

Quote:
Sexuality resides in the brain. Neutering has no documented effect on sexual predators.

I just saw a program about that after posting. Maybe brain surgery via baseball bat is the cure.

Maybe sexual predators are unable to change their behaviors due to early experiences or actual damage to their brains. They may choose to follow the LORD in the Last Days, and we, of course, can forgive them of their unspeakable transgressions.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451
 

  • Moderators
Posted

This is a hard and sad topic. I've wondered if this field should use an application of the Biblical "Cities of Refuge" either in an area that is not really populated or on an island where instead of living in a prison environment, where they are restricted to this area, and no children allowed (or a very guarded visiting area), but otherwise allowed to live a regular life, with an apartment/small house, work opportunities, chaplain services etc. either before they get in trouble with the law, or after they served their time.

Forgiveness does not mean "Don't hold me responsible for my actions." And too many keep returning to that behavior. Yet we have nothing except for jail, mental institutions and release back on the street for them.

  • Members
Posted

Very interesting and good points Kevin

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

This is a hard and sad topic. I've wondered if this field should use an application of the Biblical "Cities of Refuge" either in an area that is not really populated or on an island where instead of living in a prison environment, where they are restricted to this area, and no children allowed (or a very guarded visiting area), but otherwise allowed to live a regular life, with an apartment/small house, work opportunities, chaplain services etc. either before they get in trouble with the law, or after they served their time.

Forgiveness does not mean "Don't hold me responsible for my actions." And too many keep returning to that behavior. Yet we have nothing except for jail, mental institutions and release back on the street for them.

I did some research into the "cities of refuge". In that research I found that if a man raped a woman out in the country where there were no witnesses the woman's accusation, along with the physical evidence found on her, was all that was needed to convict the man. He was stoned on the spot, and there was no refuge to be found for him in the cities of refuge as there was in the case of a killing. In other words, rape was considered a more heinous crime than murder.

I don't see where molestation of a child could be considered as an lesser of a crime the rape of a woman.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville
Posted

Jesus' counsel to "turn the other cheek" was in the context of one being struck himself. If a man does me harm, it is my privilege to turn the other cheek. If a man is doing harm to my wife, child, friend, neighbour or a stranger, it is not my privilege to stand back. I may invite the harm-doer to assail me in an effort to deflect the attack from someone else toward myself, but I could not stand back. A father's primary duty is to provide and protect.

I applaud the father's actions and pray that his son (and all victims of abuse) may find solace and healing.

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

Posted

Jesus' counsel to "turn the other cheek" was in the context of one being struck himself. If a man does me harm, it is my privilege to turn the other cheek. If a man is doing harm to my wife, child, friend, neighbour or a stranger, it is not my privilege to stand back. I may invite the harm-doer to assail me in an effort to deflect the attack from someone else toward myself, but I could not stand back. A father's primary duty is to provide and protect.

I applaud the father's actions and pray that his son (and all victims of abuse) may find solace and healing.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...