Jump to content
ClubAdventist

A Resource on the Doctrine of the Trinity


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted

Paul Peterson & Rob McIver, Editors. BIBLICAL AND THEOLOGICAL STUDIES ON THE TRINITY.  Avondale Academic Press, 2014, 251 pages.

 

This book contains 13 chapters, written by 12 people and divided into three sections:

Biblical Studies

Historical & Theological studies

Studies in SDA history & Theology

 

It contains an Introduction, an Appendix and more than one Index:

Index of Persons & Authors

Index of Subjects

Index of Christian Scriptural references
Index of Islamic Scriptural References.

 

As it is published in Australia, it is not cheap.  It is being sold on the Interent for a bit less than $100 delivered.  However I had it delivered to my home for a bit less than half of that price.

 

I have found this book to be extremely valuable and I am learning much from it.   The footnotes give many sources of additional information on the point being discussed--both historical, Biblical and other books on the subject.

 

While it clearly takes a position in support of the doctrine of the Trinity, it has much in it that will be helpful to those who reject the Trinity doctrine.  It presents reasons why the Trinity doctrine has been rejected.  It informs as to what arguments need to be made by those who reject the Trinity.  It gives much information as to how the Trinity doctrine gradually came to be accepted.

 

The section on the SDA Church and its transition to a belief in the Trinity is informative.

 

My personality is such that I do not normally get deeply involved in Theology as a discipline.  Rather I focus on practical implications of Christian beliefs.  This book has a focus on that aspect and is written in a manner in which the Theology interests me more that normally.  Frankly, Rachel has stimulated my thinking on this subject to the point where I am purchasing books on this subject and reading them. This book is my second purchase.  I have found it to be very helpful.

 

While it is a bit pricy, I recommend it to any person who is interested in the doctrine of the Trinity regardless of the position that they take.

Gregory

  • Moderators
Posted

The following will be a vaulable resource in several aspects of the history and theological development of the Trinity doctrine in the SDA Church.  NOTE:  The source below came from the book mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

 

http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/trinity/

Gregory

Posted

Hi Gregory,

I'm going to purchase the book, because I want to review the arguments for a Trinity.  I want to make sure that I have considered all of them seriously. 

 

I do NOT deny that the Spirit of God exists, or that the Spirit is "divine".  I just believe that God our Father is Himself omnipresent - "by His Spirit".  "God is spirit" (John 4). 

 

The Son of God was also omnipresent prior to His incarnation, (His Spirit inspired the prophets.) and this power was returned to Him post incarnation when He was "glorified" at Pentecost. 

 

A "third" divine Being was not necessary in order to accomplish the plan. 

 

And if God has always been three co-equal beings, and one was never "begotten from" the other, then God did NOT give His begotten Son.  One of three simply volunteered to become human. 

 

Respectfully,

Rachel Cory

Prophecy Viewpoint

8thdaypriest

  • Moderators
Posted

Rachel, I have great respect for you and the work that you have done.

 

It is not my mission to convict you or error.  When you are in error, as are all humans, it is the work of the Holy Spirit to so convict you.

 

As I have said, you have stimulated me to devote more time and energy, which is ongoing, to this subject than I have ever devoted before.

 

May the Lord bless you, myself and anyone else in our studies of this and all other themes about God.

 

Look for an Internet source that sells it for  the $45 that I mentioned. 

 

NOTE:  My source did not send it to me quickly.  But, it came.

Gregory

  • Moderators
Posted

The last three chapters in that book are interesting:

The Influence of Restorationism on early Seventh-day Adventism and the Emergence of the Trinitarian Perspective.

The Trinitarian Issue in Seventh-day Adventism.

John Harvey Kellogg's Concept of the Godhead.

 

The chapter on Restorationism is of value to me in that is presents new material to consider.  I previously knew nothing about that term.  I find it interesting in that it ties Restorationism to The Christian Connection, also called the Connextionists. This adds to my knowledge of that era.  There is more in this chapter whichalso adds value.

 

I also find of value the short discussions of the Trinitarian views of Joseph Bates and John Loughborough--page 177.  Essentially the book states that the reasons both gave for rejecting the Trinity were reasons for which the Trinity should be rejected, if indeed that was what the Trinity taught.  It then goes on to say that neither Bates nor Loughborough understood the Trinity doctrine.  It suggests that what Loughborough was rejecting was actually a  form of Tritheism, which should be rejected. It also suggests that Bates was actually rejecting a form of Monarchianism, again which should be rejected.   In short, it suggests that the early Adventists did not have well founded knowledge of what the Trinity doctrine actually taught.

 

NOTE:  It mentions other early Adventists and their error in thinking that I have not mentioned here.

Gregory

  • Moderators
Posted

To stimulate further thinking:

 

Church leaders and theologians do not constitute a 'magisterium' of infallible interpreters whose formulations must be adopted by the faithful.

 

Gunnar Pedersen, page 186, of the book mentioned in the OP.

Gregory

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...