Jump to content
ClubAdventist

February 2015 Signs of the Times Email Newsletter


Recommended Posts

Posted

Dale_Galusha_Banner.jpg

February 2015 Signs of the Times Email Newsletter

The Signs of the Times newsletter is a collection of stories and quotes from past issues ofSigns and These Times.

***************************

     A little fellow six years old saw a man coming down a long ladder from a very high roof. When the man reached the ground, the boy with childish wonder said to him, “Weren’t you afraid of falling when you were up so high?” and then added “I know why you were not afraid, you said your prayers this morning before you began your work.”

     That little fellow knew the meaning of prayer. Before the year ended, the boy died, and before the funeral, the sorrowful parents were astonished when a servant told them that a man was at the door pleading hard to be allowed to see the little boy. Permission was given, and as the man gazed with emotion on the beautiful face of the boy, he said to the sad parents, “Ah! You may wonder at my feeling, but that dear little fellow taught me to pray.” Then he told of the child’s question about the ladder, and said: “My heart smote me as I heard the words, for I had not prayed at all, and felt how little I deserved God’s protection. But never have I forgotten to pray since then, and by God’s blessing I never will.”—Selected, Signs of the Times, July 18, 1892.

Quote: “Talking that does not have for its background a consistent living, does not count for much.”—Unknown, Signs of the Times, January 7, 1886.

***************************

Don't miss the March 2015 issue of Signs of the Times: To order Signs, call: 1-800-765-6955 or online at http://www.adventistbookcenter.com/signs-of-the-times-magazine-yearly-us-subscription.html

***************************

     In Switzerland there is a church in the Alps, up the mountain a little way from the village which it serves. There are no lights or lamps in it. When the time comes for the evening service, one can see the villagers coming from their houses, each one bearing his light. At first there is only a glimmer in the gathering darkness, but when all have arrived for the service the little church is aglow with the combined light of many lamps and candles.

     Here is a symbol for us today. Our light may seem feeble in the dark world, but as each bears his light of witness to the gospel, the world can be made to glow with the light that comes from Him who said, “I am the Light of the world.”—By Hoover Rupert, These Times, December 1960.

Quote: “The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man’s foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher.”—By Thomas Henry Huxley,These Times, April 1963.

***************************

NEW from Pacific Press—“I Do” by Gábor Mihalec, Ph.D. Great marriages  don’t just happen—they are intentionally designed. This is the comprehensive, straightforward guide every couple needs to read before—and even after—they say “I do.” A great resource for pastors who offer marriage counseling, for anyone considering marriage, or for those who may be struggling with marital challenges.

CLICK to read the first chapter of this book online Order online or from your local Adventist Book Center--1-800-765-6955.

***************************

     There is a story of a young married man who had read all the psychoanalytic and religious self-help books on how to adjust to life, to marriage, and to other difficulties. His young wife, who had tried to live up to the precepts in all these books, one day rebelled: “Now that we’ve found real happiness, couldn’t we have some fun, too?”—By Gerald Kennedy, These Times, October 1957.

Quote: “In the morning, prayer is the key that opens to us the treasures of God’s mercies and blessings; in the evening, it is the key that shuts us up under His protection and safeguard.”—Anonymous, These Times, August 1965.

***************************

Place this in your church bulletin or newsletter: Would you like to win a friend or neighbor to Jesus? Share a GIFT that will reach out to them all year long. Send a subscription toSigns of the Times® today!  Order from your Adventist Book Center. To order call: 1-800-765-6955 or online at: http://www.adventistbookcenter.com/signs-of-the-times-magazine-yearly-us-subscription.html

***************************

     When the Emperor Trajan insisted on Rabbi Joshua showing him God, who he said is everywhere, the Rabbi led him out into the open air and said, “Suppose you first look upon one of His ambassadors,” and bade him look at the sun.

     “I cannot see,” said Trajan, “the light dazzles me.”

     Then said the Rabbi, “Thou art unable to bear the light of one of His creatures; how then couldst thou look upon the Creator? The sight would annihilate thee.”—Unknown,Signs of the Times, June 16, 1881.

Quote: “There is something wrong with the repentance that doesn’t make a man quit his meanness.”—Unknown, Signs of the Times, April 17, 1893.

***************************

Looking for great digital books? The very best assortment of Christian eBooks can be found at: www.AdventisteBooks.com

***************************

     The story is told of a man whose name was Lo, and when he read this text—“Lo, I am with you alway”—he thought God was speaking directly to him. And he was right, wasn’t he? Christ’s friendship can be as real to us as it was to the twelve apostles who were with Him long ago. Wherever you may be, or wherever I may be, Christ by His Spirit is with us.—By H. M. S. Richards, These Times, June 1951.

Quote: “This I know: I have planted a garden, so I know what faith is. I have seen the tall trees swaying in the breeze, so I know what grace is. I have listened to the birds singing, so I know what music is. I have watched little children playing, so I know what entertainment is. I have seen mornings without clouds, after showers, so I know what beauty is. I have seen the miracle of the sunset, so I know what grandeur is. And because I have perceived all these things, I know what wealth is.”—Anonymous, These Times, February 1966.

***************************

Share your faith by giving a tract. Pocket Signs are perfect for sharing. CLICK to see the many different titles.

***************************

     When James A. Garfield, who afterwards became President of the United States, was president of Hiram College in Ohio, a man brought his son for entrance as a student, for whom he desired a shorter course than the regular one.

     “The boy will never take all that in,” the father said. “He wants to get through by a shorter route. Can you arrange it?”

     “Oh, yes,” replied the president of Hiram College. “I can arrange it. Your son can take the shorter course. It all depends on what you want to make out of him. When God wants to make an oak, He takes a hundred years; but when He wants to make a squash, He requires only two months.”—From The Watchman-Examiner, These Times, February 1958.

Quote: “If you do not bring any strain to bear upon timber, one kind is as good as another. A splinter of a broom is as good as the best ash or hickory if you do not put any weight upon it—if you lay it down on the carpet and do nothing with it. And when men are tried in life what they are is made to appear.”—By Phillips Brooks, These Times, March 1958.

***************************

CLICK to download great sacred music.

***************************

The Soul’s Cries. . .                              

  1. “I know not how to go.” 1 Kings 3:7        
  2. “Teach me thy way, O Lord.” Psalm 86:11           
  3. “Give me understanding.” Psalm 119:34              
  4. “Forsake me not, O Lord.” Psalm 38:21  
  5. “Help me, O Lord my God.” Psalm 109:26 
  6. “Give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.” Psalm 141:1 
  7. “Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed.” Jeremiah 17:1 
  8. “Give us help from trouble; for vain is the help of man.” Psalm 108:12 
  9. “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?” Acts 9:6 
  10. “Shew me thy ways, O Lord.” Psalm 25:4 
. . . The Saviour’s Answers
  1. “I will guide thee.” Psalm 32:8 
  2. “I am the way.” John 14:6 
  3. “I am understanding.” Proverbs 8:14 
  4. “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” Hebrews 13:5 
  5. “Fear not; I will help thee.” Isaiah 41:13 
  6. If you “cry at all unto me, I will surely hear.” Exodus 22:23 
  7. “With His stripes we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5 
  8. “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1 
  9. “Follow thou me.” John 21:22 
  10. “The meek will He teach His way.” Psalm 25:9 
Compiled by Dale Galusha. Please pass this newsletter on to others.
 
 

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...