Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Bolder, Boulder 10 K


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Boulder County Colorado is known for many things, one of which is the Bolder Boulder 10 K Memorial day race which will be held tomorrow.  Just as the Boston Marathon is known world-wide as the marathon to run, the Bolder Boulder is known world-wide as the 10 K to run.  Tomorrow individuals will race from many countries and official teams will come from: Kenya, Mexico, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Morocco, Japan and Ethiopia. 

The first Bolder Boulder was run in 1979 with 2,700 people running.  Last year more than 52,000 people registered to run and more than 48,000 actually completed their run.  Eight (8) women, the oldest now 70 years of age, have run in every race and 58 men, the oldest now 80 years of age have run in every race.

The race is a family event, which welcomes people of all ages and ability.  It begins with people using self-propelled wheelchairs, includes people walking and international teams.   People are allowed to register the morning of the race.  Eleven men have registered to run, this year, in self-propelled wheelchairs and six women.

Radio Frequency Identification tags are used to track the runners at multiple points in the race and to verify that each person has indeed run the total race.  High-speed cameras photograph the runners at the start and finish and those photos are posted on the Internet and can be accessed by individual runner.

It takes some 500 employees and 2,500 volunteers to make the race happen.  Clinical personnel are stationed throughout the race course and equipped to provide immediate medical help.  In the prior 36 years of the race, one person has died during the race.  The statistics would have from one to two deaths each year in a race of this size.

The runners will cross the finish line in Folsom Files to tens of thousands of spectators.  [NOTE: Folsom Field can seat more than 53,000 people.

My wife and I are planning to run in the Bolder Boulder tomorrow.  Wish us well.  We will let you know.  Let us hope that the rain will not come until the afternoon.  I will post the Internet access to the photos of us running.  One of the Metro-Denver SDA Churches is sending a team of runners.

 

Edited by Gregory Matthews

Gregory

Posted

To be honest, I've never heard of it. But, I wish you well! Hope you have an enjoyable run with your wife; hope you experience no complications and have fantastic weather to see you through!

  • Moderators
Posted

Well, many people do not think much about the 10Ks.  But, this has been marketed both as an international event and as a family event.  Many families and groups, to include local groups, run it in.

 

As a point of interest, my Sabbath School class yesterday had a woman who had flown in from the East to run in the race tomorrow.  She was an older runner.

 

Gregory

  • Members
Posted

Good luck to you and your wife Gregory, praying you do well and have an enjoyable day and weather also.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Okay, I looked it up. I'll have to tell my sister about it. She's a lifelong runner. I did notice it's called Bolder Boulder. 

  • Moderators
Posted

I had not picked up on that spelling.  But, you are correct:  Bolder Boulder. 

 

Like I say, I learn something every day.  My store of wisdom is increasing.  Of course, there is plenty of room for it to do so.  :)

 

:)

 

 

Gregory

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Well, we have finished the race.  Sharon ran with me, probably to be available to summon aid if I had heart attack.  I did not!  J

 

That attached photo [If I can figure how to attach a photo.] is of both of us, taken after the race was over and in our running clothes.

 

I have been in training for the past year and running on a treadmill.  Generally I have done the 10K, on a treadmill in 80 – 90 minutes.  Well, an actual race is much different.  Running with 50,000 + people makes it different!  Running, even on small hills of Boulder, makes it different.

 

But, I finished the race in 92 minutes and 37 seconds, official time.  So, I am overall pleased.  However, based on today, I do not think it reasonable for me to attempt to run in the Boston Marathon, or any other marathon.

 

Sharon slipped ahead of me at the finish line in an attempt to get a photo of me running at the end.  So, she finished 2 seconds faster than I.  She could have done it quicker, but she wanted to stay with me.  Good.

 

There is nothing like entering the stadium at the finish  line and see multiple tens of thousands of people cheering you on.  [NOTE:  There were more than 50,000 others people running at the same time.)  J

 

Well, it is over. Thirty years ago I ran in a 5 K.  Until now I had never run in any other race, and actually my performance was simply a brisk walk.  But, for a 74 year-old man, I guess that is my limit.

 

If you want to, you can look up the official results, they are now posted on the Internet.  You can see where I placed over all among the 50,000+ as well as the official times.  Google “bolderboulder” and go to the 2015 results  icon.  The code for me is <NB605>.  For Sharon it is <NB606>.

 

NOTE:  Official photos taken of Sharon and I (during the race) will be posted on the Internet at a later time.

 

Gregory Matthews

 

DSC_0017.JPG

Edited by Gregory Matthews
  • Like 4

Gregory

  • Members
Posted

Great photo and praise the Lord you and your wife finished. Sounds like you had a great time

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Official reports are now beginning to come in.Some are thought provoking and inspiring as to what some people have accomplished.  Others are simply of interest.

52,015 registered to run this year.

46,542 acutally  finished the run.

Josh George of Champaign, Ill finished the Wheelchair race in 23:21!!!  He lost his legs at the age of 4 years.

Amanda McGory, of Savoy, Ill, finished the wheelchair race in 27:08!!!  She has been paralyzed since the age of 5. 
She has previously won marathons.

John Austin, 47 YO, completed the race in 2:03:1.38, while walking every step of the way on crutches.    He has been on crutches since the age of 2 years and this is the 18th Bolder Boulder that he has run.  NOTE:  I Personally witnessed a young child running it on crutches.

Belete Assefa, of Ethiopia, running in the professional category, finished in 29:04 and Meskerem Assefa, also from Ethiopia, finished in 33:331.  NOTE:  They are not related and are male and female.

Air Force Major Ben Payne, running in the non-professional category finished the race in 30:40.3.

You may note that the wheelchair runners finished with a faster time that those running on their legs.  All wheelchairs were self-propelled by hands and arms.  Motorized wheelchairs were not allowed. But, it is clear that the wheelchairs were custom-designed and very high tech to include wind resistance. 

The race this year cost 2.8 million dollars to produce.

Some 65 medical personnel were in place during the race plus additional cross-trained fire and police personnel.  Defibrillator units (total of 23) were stationed about every half-mile along the race course and in the stadium.  About 28 people were evaluated during the race by medical personnel. None needed IVs or higher intervention.  Most needed just oral rehydration and/or anti-nausea medication.

$162,700.00 was given in prizes to professional runners, which included the wheelchair runners. 

NOTE:  I just cannot imagine doing it in a wheelchair!

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Gregory Matthews

Gregory

  • Moderators
Posted

Sharon and I each had about 20+  photos snapped of us during the race.  Most are not of high quality.

 

If you want to see them all, go to:

 

https://www.facebook.com/RightGuard?sk=app_899259816796891

 

You will see a line of three icons the is greyed out.  Wait till it turns orange.  You have  to attempt to click on the greyed out section.

When it turns orange, look for the icon that says Bib number of Name.  Enter:

 

NB605       for me

 

NB606       for Sharon

NOTE:  Some photos are duplicates that are posted for each of us as we ran together.l 

 

Wait and play with the Pictures Icon and shortly about 20 photos will come up on screen.

 

Gregory Matthews

 

 

Gregory

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...