Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Multilple Ways to Say Something.


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

I know a runner who does a lot of running and at some distances from where she lives, to include marathons.  I might ask her why she did not run in the Bolder Boulder 10 K yesterday.  If I were to do so, I could ask:

1)  Why did you not run?  If you had, you  could have finished in the top 300.

2)  Why did you not run?  If you had, you could have finished n the top 6 %..

 

Two ways of saying it.  But, they sure do not sound the same.

 

 

Edited by Gregory Matthews

Gregory

Posted

You could have completed the race faster than 94% of the running populace...

Actually, I can think of several more ways to say it. Is your friend only interested in beating out the competition?

  • Moderators
Posted

It's one of the things I find interesting with university rankings. My university says it is in the 'top 300' internationally. But no information is ever provided about the total number of universities. For what it's worth, there are about 7500, so being in the top 300 is pretty good...

Truth is important

Posted

I remember a hospital that I worked at prided its self  on its yearly ranking. Delving into it a bit more, it turned out that the ranking group did not include all hospitals of its type!

 

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Aubrey:  Yes, I agree that there are more ways to say the same thing.  I only included two as I wanted to stimulate thinking.

 

Bravus, I am reminded of a very old Cold War joke:

The old Soviet Union in reporting on the results of an automobile race said:  The entry from Russia finished second and the entry from the United States finished next to the last.  NOTE:  What was not said was that the race had two participants, the one from Russia and the one from the U.S.

 

Edited by Gregory Matthews
  • Like 2

Gregory

Posted

The old Soviet Union in reporting on the results of an automobile race said:  The entry from Russia finished second and the entry from the United States finished next to the last.  NOTE:  What was not said was that the race had two participants, the one f or m Russia and the one from the U.S.

​Fifty per cent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class!

On an average day, the worst doctor in America gets up and goes to work.

If that wasn't troubling, according the the American Assoc of Critical Care Nurses, more than 8000 doctors in America are fully demented!

                          >>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

*****************************************************************************

    And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

       --Shakespeare from Hamlet

*****************************************************************************

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

Posted

Gregory: Thanks for explaining the reasoning for including your examples. Initially, I thought you were asking which of the two ways you should approach your friend. Now I understand you were wishing to stimulate thinking on how people often present data with seemingly biased methods. 

 

Posted

Since this was a newsline on the TV, I can't say how accurate it is but it seems to possibly fit the description of what is being discussed in this thread. Quoting, "America is the sickest nation in the world."  Seems hard to believe considering the availability to healthy living conditions in this country but maybe if it said "in comparison" it might be more palatable.

God is Love!  Jesus saves! :D

Lift Jesus up!!

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Actually, I had another thought in mind.  [NOTE:  As my purpose was to stimulate, the fact that some of you have gone in directions that I had not considered indicates that I did accomplish my objective.]

My thinking at the time I posted was to indicate that    one can say something in a way that actually has a negative connotation or one can chose to say it in a way that has a positive connotation.  This can be applied to many of our relationships with others.

Example:  My wife was going out today, while I was staying home and doing yard work stuff.    :)

 

Just before she left she asked me what I thought of what she was wearing and as to whether I preferred it or what she wore yesterday.  NOTE:  I come from a counseling background in which there is a time to be frank in dealing with people. But, I saws this as a time to be positive.  So, I said:

1) My initial reaction is to prefer what you wore yesterday.

2) But, I find what you have on today to be interesting,  so, why not wear it when you go out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Gregory Matthews

Gregory

Posted

Hmm. I didn't think either of your two ways in the initial post were negative. Ah well. I guess there are multiple ways of reading things too...

(This is Aubrey, commenting as a guest...just too lazy right now to log in completely.)

  • Members
Posted

 

2) But, I find what you have on today to be interesting,  so, why not wear it when you go out.

​"interesting" ?   LOL  

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

  • Moderators
Posted


Aubrey:  Yes, there are both multiple ways of saying something and multiple ways of reading something, as often happens here in CA.

Pam: When I posted that, I fully expected that it would draw some thoughts from the women posting here.  :)

 

Gregory

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...