Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted October 12, 2015 Moderators Posted October 12, 2015 In my life I have done some traveling. In doing so my wife and I have picked up some travel tips as they pertain to hotels. E.G. This past summer we went to the General Conference and stayed in a hotel within walking distance of the Convention Center and the Alamo, and at a price that was less than what we could obtain through the General Conference discounted rates! We have used those that purchase blocks of hotel rooms and re-sell them at discounted rates. We have found them to provide what thy tell you they provide. However, we have found that when you use them the hotel will not make any adjustment of any kind, in dates, room or anything else. Once a manager said to us: The next time you want to visit here, call us directly and tell us what you are finding on the Internet as a promised discounted rate for our hotel. We will give you your room for less than that rate. We have found that direct negotiation with a hotel manager will often result in the best discounted rate that we can get. And is such situations the hotel will make any adjustments that are required for you to stay with them. Case in point: Earlier this year my wife negotiated a good rate on the basis of two stays at that hotel. Later we needed to go back to that area. My wife called and spoke with the manager and told him that we would likely need to stay a bit longer and asked if he could provide us with the same room at any additional discount. He check and found the record of our previous stay and immediately offered us an additional discount below what we had previously paid this year. And he gave us the same room. We have also found that the same holds true for auto rentals. By calling directly to the local office we can get an auto rental below what is offered as an Internet rate. But, that may depend on the local office expectations for rentals on our required date. Due to that it is not always the same rental agency that has the best rate. Quote Gregory
jbal7 Posted October 12, 2015 Posted October 12, 2015 Great advice. I never thought about talking to the manager for a lower rate. I usually just accept whatever the posted price is, and maybe even more if there are no others to choose from. I assume that whatever the listed price is well above their profit margin. I bet they can come down quite a bit and still profit. Also, that's pretty cool that the manger gave you a good price since you had stayed there before. I'm a fairly loyal shopper. Good to see some companies appreciate that. Quote
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted October 12, 2015 Author Moderators Posted October 12, 2015 My wife is a native U.S. Citizen. I met and married her in Seoul, Korea where she was teaching in the English department of a Korean University. She learned to bargain over price. Yesterday I went to the local Ford agency to request some service for my car. I was informed that the agency had raised their rates over what I had expected to pay. The service rep. got into an argument with me, and informed me that I would have to wait quite a while before I could have the service provided.. What I did not know was that a management person was standing behind me and listening to the conversation. When I used the phrase "unethical business practice," the management person stepped out form behind me and said: We will provide the service at the price you requested and we will provide that service immediately. You will not have to wait. I expressed appreciation for her response to my request and asked for an additional service. The response was: We will provide you with that free of charge. And they did, and immediately. NOTE: While I was frank as to what I expected and wanted, I was always polite and appropriate. When given what I wanted, I immediately expressed appreciation for their response. Being impolite should not be expected to achieve results. jbal7 1 Quote Gregory
Members phkrause Posted October 13, 2015 Members Posted October 13, 2015 That's great stuff Gregory, thanks for sharing. Priceline.com used to be a very good place to get very good discounts. Not any longer. Problem I found with that was, back in 2011 when the terrorist hit the twin towers, I had bid on airplane and rental car, and got really great prices, but they canceled flights, so we had to keep the car an extra 2 days. It cost me more for those two days than it did for the whole week. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
GayatfootofCross Posted October 13, 2015 Posted October 13, 2015 phkrause 1 Quote For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for You to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️? " If you tarry 'til you're better You will never come at all " .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved Glen Campbell If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. "My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite." Romeo and Juliet
Stan Posted October 13, 2015 Posted October 13, 2015 I have often thought about having a section here for Adventist Road Warriors .. (ARW) Here is a ARW tip, when getting on an elevator,be a gentleman and let everyone on first, they will usually thank you. Get on last and smile.. smile because you will be first one off and first one in line for the car rental agency. Liz and phkrause 2 Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Liz Posted October 13, 2015 Posted October 13, 2015 My hubby used to work for a hotel chain, there is a price that the rooms have to go for in order to make a profit. They usually quote a price that is significantly over this amount. Then there is usually a little competition between the front desk personnel to see who can get a customer to pay the most for a room. One can always negotiate for a hotel room, also once you get the room for the price you want to pay, if you have an AARP card pull that out at the end for an additional discount. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.