Jump to content
ClubAdventist

What is "Immorality"?


Recommended Posts

Posted

By this question, I'm referring to sexual immorality (I didn't want to use the "s"-word in the title).

Sure, the Bible talks about don't commit adultery, don't prostitute yourself, don't covet another person's spouse, no sex with animals, no homosexuality; but what about stuff that isn't mentioned in scripture? Does "anything goes" work for consenting married heterosexual couples (one extreme); or is it more like "straight missionary position in the dark" is all that is allowable (the other extreme)?  Is there any room for experimentation and exploration (just between married couples, obviously) in a Christian's sex life?  I'm not trying to start a debate here; just want to know what others think. When does sex go from being a "gift from God" to being "dirty"?

I was brought up in a home where we didn't even mention the word "sex" much less discussed it.  The only "birds and bees" talk I ever got from my parents was when my dad said "keep you pants zipped" and raised his eyebrow like "you know what I mean") when I went away to college about 100 years ago. 

  • Members
Posted
1 hour ago, JoeMo said:

I was brought up in a home where we didn't even mention the word "sex" much less discussed it.

Same here! As far as Immoral, I'd say anything outside of Marriage!

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Moderators
Posted

The term "immorality" has a range of meanings.   I am not totally comfortable in  using in in this context.

So, I will suggest that sexual conduct that is agreeable to competent, consenting, married, adults and does not cause harm to either should not be of concern to anyone else.

 

 

  • Like 3

Gregory

  • Administrators
Posted

There might be a reason why the Bible is silent on this. It doesn't say much either regarding the Sabbath other than it is to be kept holy.

  • Like 2

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

  • Moderators
Posted

Three quick comments:

1. It could be that this is a topic for discussion in a more private/less prominent subforum than this one...

2. There are a number of interesting topics involved such as, for example, consensual use of pornography by committed married couples. On one hand I quite like the 'whatever floats both of your boats in building your relationship' principle, on the other hand I think there are probably limits. On the third hand, I'm not sure it's up to outsiders to impose or even really suggest those limits.

3. Thinking about what is moral and immoral in terms of what builds versus harms the relationship - as a matter between the people involved - may be more effective in terms of generating guidelines and limits than thinking of it in terms of what 'offends God'.

Truth is important

  • Moderators
Posted

(incidentally, I'm currently writing a chapter on sex and sexuality within committed relationships for a couples course my beloved is developing)

Truth is important

Posted
On 1/26/2016 at 3:32 PM, JoeMo said:

when I went away to college about 100 years ago. 

If that is referring to a real time period in your life, I'm wondering why it is a problem? ROFLMHO

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

It is my understanding that the practice of pornographic viewing has definite deleterious physical affects on the brain. That would just seem to me to verify the caution given in the Word before the present characteristics of Sodom and Gomorrah began appearing in present day society.

11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.....1 Peter 2
 
God is Love!~Jesus saves! :D

 

  • Like 3

Lift Jesus up!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...