Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted September 10, 2017 Moderators Posted September 10, 2017 Writing in the April issue of Adventist. World, Elias Brasil de Souza comments on church organization & authority. See: http://www.fulcrum7.com/blog/2017/4/6/a-biblical-basis-for-church-governance-and-authority Writing in the September 2017 issue of Adventist World, President Ted Wilson comments on the above article. in an article of his: "Purpose for His Church: Implementing Mission." In this article President Ted posits that a system of church authority is needed in order to maintain doctrinal unity and that Christ gave the Church leadership the authority to decide how to govern and maintain unity. In support of this view, President Ted cites both de Souza and EGW. I consider President Ted's article to be problematic in that I believe that some will consider it (even if wrongly) to be advocating an authority for church leadership similar to be the authority claimed by the Roman Catholic denomination. I wish, that if such is not correct, that both President Ted and the editors of Adventist World had expanded the article to more clearly identify what President Ted is proposing as not being similar to that of the RC Church. NOTE: I provided a link to the de Souza article so people can better understand what he wrote and decide whether or not President Ted accurately cited him. Quote Gregory
CoAspen Posted September 10, 2017 Posted September 10, 2017 Quote A system of church authority and governance is required in order to maintain doctrinal unity and to implement the mission of the church. Thus, compliance with decisions made by the legitimate representatives of the church organization is not optional. Although the Holy Spirit may be invoked to justify divergent practices by some individual segments of the church, the Spirit works in and through the body of believers as a whole and the leadership established by them. So the HS only works through the .org. Quote .....we should always bear in mind that authority and power ultimately derive from and originate in God because He is the Creator and Savior. Therefore, human authority is always limited and relative and is to be exercised according to the model established by Christ. I see anecdotal evidense for a 'model' based on series of events but does that mean the HS influence is negated in the individuals life? It seems we believe the HS leads, but only if it agrees with the .org. How very RC! Sorry, I reject that idea. Quote
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted September 10, 2017 Author Moderators Posted September 10, 2017 NOTE: I believe that it would be of value if any quotes are credited to an author. Both de Sousa and President Ted said similar things in almost the same words and sometimes in exactly the same words. I like to know who is being quoted. Quote Gregory
CoAspen Posted September 10, 2017 Posted September 10, 2017 Sousa article that GM posted...thought it would be obvious Quote
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted September 11, 2017 Author Moderators Posted September 11, 2017 Understand. Some people miss the obvious. Quote Gregory
Moderators LynnDel Posted September 11, 2017 Moderators Posted September 11, 2017 Interesting, though I would prefer a link to the original article: Article in Adventist World: A Biblical Basis for Church Governance and Authority Quote LD
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted September 11, 2017 Author Moderators Posted September 11, 2017 Thank you for providing it. Quote Gregory
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.