Jump to content
ClubAdventist

How do you give a bible study?


Recommended Posts

Posted

How do you get people involved? Is there someone who leads out? How is the decision made on what to study? What happends during a bible study? Are there weekly assigments? What do you serve food/drink wise? How long should it last and what day of the week?

Any advice would be appreciated. I know there is no one right answer. I am just interested in your experiences regarding what seems to work well and what doesn't.

Posted

If it is a Bible study with fellow believers I do it a lot different than if it is one with nonbelievers.

With nonbelievers, I normally start out making a friendship. As we become friends I look for ways I can show them how my faith plays a role in my life. Once they see how my faith plays a role in my life, I ask if they are interested in Bible studies. If they are not I ask if they would be intested in watching a Christian program that I could loan them on DVD or VHS. If they are, I go that route.

When studying with other believers, I like small group, in-home studies. What the group chooses to study is up to the group. I do like having snacks and fellowship afterwards and often times members can invite their unbelieving friends to attend. This is a great way to edify a church. If a church can have 3 - 5 of these going on each week it is bound to improve the spiritual health of the church.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com 

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Posted

Hi Sid,

First, pray for God to lead you to someone who is open to study. Second, think of someone who may be interested. And/or, knock on doors. Yesterday, we started five new studies by knocking on doors. For the study, use a Bible study series, such as Amazing Facts or The Bible Says. (the 'Discover' series has too much reading and one can get lost in the process, IMO)

Give the person the first study to look at, one-to-one. Group studies don't work well for getting decisions. Give him or her a week to go over it, one study at a time, then get back with the person and review. Take a few minutes to visit before you start the study, then begin with prayer and go to the first question. YOu will need to lead out in the study. In the beginning, you should ask the question, and let the person respond. Later on, you and he can go back and forth. BE SURE to ask the decision question at the end of the study, and get a response. That is important for EACH STUDY.

Dave

Posted

Oh, the study should not last more than an hour, usually. It can happen any day and time of the week that is convenient for the Bible student. Just make sure to be consistent, same time each week, and persistent. don't skip weeks. Best to do the study IN THE HOME of the student.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...