Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted August 23, 2019 Moderators Posted August 23, 2019 See: https://spectrummagazine.org/views/2019/limits-apologetics The above article goes back to Plato, the Sophists and others. I attrated my attention due to the fact that a frequent contributor to the discussions in this forum is a Roman Catholic Apologist. I thought it might be of interest to hear what he has to say in response to this article. However, the article soon turns its focus to we SDAs and clearly points the finger at us and what we sometimes do in debating a point that we believe should be made. So, my Catholic friend, the the focus of this article is not on you. It is on us. NOTE: I will also state that I appreciate the integrity that our Apologist has demonstrated here. Kevin H and phkrause 2 Quote Gregory
Members phkrause Posted August 23, 2019 Members Posted August 23, 2019 I think its a interesting article, but also, at lest to me, it seems he's trying to defend everyone else except Christians?? Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Gustave Posted September 9, 2019 Posted September 9, 2019 That's an interesting article and I'll have to read it over again a few more times to comment on it. There was a lot of truth in what is being said there. There is enough asserted I want to make sure I get my head wrapped around what the author is saying in total. Thought provoking to be sure. Quote
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted September 9, 2019 Author Moderators Posted September 9, 2019 The following, I consider to be a seminal thought found near the end of the article: Quote . . .hopefully we can agree on the legitimacy of Plato’s concern that separating truth-seeking from position-defense is dangerous. And in religion this happens when apologetics is misused, with “Gorgian” techniques employed to advocate for positions that could not otherwise be sustained if a deeper probe was to be undertaken. If we believers really are truth-seekers (a hard-enough question for self-examination) then, while in the short-run we might have some personal confusion and ambiguity, it is too high a price to pay when bad apologetics results in false security by believing too strongly in that which is either mistaken or needs revision. 8thdaypriest and JoeMo 2 Quote Gregory
Gustave Posted September 11, 2019 Posted September 11, 2019 I definitely agree with the quoted sections above. I've been guilty plenty of times being on the wrong side of it as well. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.