Neil D Posted November 24, 2006 Posted November 24, 2006 That's right...Many pastors are making thier sermons on days like today...Friday. So, laypeople, what would you like to see in a sermon? What subject would you like to see covered? What do you want your pastor to say? What would the congregation recieve? So, lay it out there for your pastors to see. What do you want to hear/see/experience in the sermon that your pastor is gonna preach? Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Neil D Posted November 24, 2006 Author Posted November 24, 2006 Since I brought this up, I will go first.... I heard of a sermon that dealt with popcorn and how it related to the Christian....And the pastor that preached that sermon had popcorn made during the service, so that the aroma floated over the congregation, and as they left, they were encouraged to take some popcorn to eat. Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Dr. Shane Posted November 24, 2006 Posted November 24, 2006 Hmmmmmmmmmmm, a popcorn sermon... Well, maybe the people would remember the message that way. Or maybe they would just remember the popcorn. What I like is powerful sermons that challenge us to be better people. I like the use of humor in showing how silly our selfishness and shortcomings appear in the light of the bigger picture. I also like stories of victory over sin and of people choosing right and not regretting it. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted November 24, 2006 Members Posted November 24, 2006 The best type of sermons for me are ones with stories. I probably won't remember theories or pontificating , but I WILL remember a story. Also, as Shane mentioned, humor is a good tool for sermons. It can break through haughtiness and/or anxiousness and help people see the commonality of their experiences. IOW, it can bring people together. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Moderators lazarus Posted November 24, 2006 Moderators Posted November 24, 2006 Most pastors are done by sermon prep by Wednesday and on Friday they are playing golf! So there! Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Administrators Gail Posted November 24, 2006 Administrators Posted November 24, 2006 Re: humour in sermons I know of one lady who does NOT like humour in sermons. To her it is irreverent. I like lots of Scripture- Bible verses that are explained, tied together and relevant. The Word of God is a continual wonder to me and I like meditating on it Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
D. Allan Posted November 24, 2006 Posted November 24, 2006 I would like to hear a sermon in iambic pentameter. With rhyming couplets. Every once in a while the pastor could thrown in a limerick. No free verse. Sonnets would be nice too. Everything must rhyme. About half way through the organist could start improvising and the pastor would begin to make up some melodies to his verse. He could introduce a refrain, and invite the audience to join in whenever it came around. Then the pastor could invite the audience to bring there trumpets and tambourines next week and have a real uplifting service. I'm probably just dreaming though. ~d.allan Quote dAb O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
Moderators Nan Posted November 24, 2006 Moderators Posted November 24, 2006 I remember a sermon where the message was what a good Christian the preacher's dog was. The dog did not steal,commit adultery, dishonour his parents, swear, kill or bow down to idols, etc etc. Of course the point was made that being a well regulated pet, the dog had very little opportunity to be anything else. The speaker then went on to talk about the unmerciful servant in Matthew 18, and of how those who are forgiven much, should be loving and forgiving. It was quite a message. Quote
Beryl Posted November 24, 2006 Posted November 24, 2006 One Sabbath morning, as I walked in to church, I noticed a very faint smell as if there was some freshly baked bread somewhere -- you know that beautiful smell, don't you? As the sermon went on the smell became more tantalising. The preacher was talking about Jesus, the Bread of Life. The fragrance of Jesus' life was portrayed, and how he wants US to impart that fragrance to all around us. It was all so very real. After the service 4 hidden breadmakers were retrieved by their owners -- it was such a wonderful, living illustration. Beryl Quote "Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves." But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.
Moderators Bravus Posted November 24, 2006 Moderators Posted November 24, 2006 Now where's JimBob7 when we need him? Quote Truth is important
Moderators lazarus Posted November 25, 2006 Moderators Posted November 25, 2006 Ok, so I just finished my sermon. Its 9 pages long. There are 5 texts. Its topical. 10 personal stories. Two illustrations from a book. Lots of shouting. Tons of walking up and down. A tearful, emotional altar call. How does that sound? Its called Thanksgiving 24/7! Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Moderators John317 Posted November 25, 2006 Moderators Posted November 25, 2006 Actually very few SDA pastors prepare their sermons on Friday, although they may add a few finishing touches on that day. Most work on them Sunday through Wednesday so that they are completely finished with them come Thursday. By Friday they have practiced it several times already. Some record it and then listen to it many times, often while shaving, etc., before they get to church Sabbath morning. I would love to hear a series of good expository sermons on the book of Hebrews. It's one of my favorites in all the Bible. I find it very exciting to study, and it has so much in it, but it's one that you seldom hear Adventist preachers preaching on any more. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Neil D Posted November 25, 2006 Author Posted November 25, 2006 Quote: Actually very few SDA pastors prepare their sermons on Friday, although they may add a few finishing touches on that day. Ok, so I just finished my sermon. Its 9 pages long. There are 5 texts. Its topical. 10 personal stories. Two illustrations from a book. Lots of shouting. Tons of walking up and down. A tearful, emotional altar call. How does that sound? Its called Thanksgiving 24/7! hmmmm.....John, Lazarus just finished his sermon on friday....Of course, you knew that when you posted your post, right? Lazarus....Sounds forced....Is thanksgiving 24/7 to be forced upon us? Must we be always thankful 24/7? Couldn't we be thankful 16/6? I liked the sermon on the bread of life, with the scent of bread waffing thru the air...I don[t know about you, but any fresh made bread, warm with butter on it, sounds very good. [Yeah, I know, it's not good for you untill it cools, but still....] Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
D. Allan Posted November 26, 2006 Posted November 26, 2006 Quote: I would love to hear a series of good expository sermons on the book of Hebrews. It's one of my favorites in all the Bible. I find it very exciting to study, I attended a seminar at campmeeting that met every day to study that book. The pastor conducting it recommend reading the entire book. Reading it everyday for a week, the whole thing, before attempting to focus upon small section is what he advocated. Has anyone tried that? Off topic! Somebody start a thread! :+) ~d.allan Quote dAb O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
Moderators John317 Posted November 28, 2006 Moderators Posted November 28, 2006 Quote: Actually very few SDA pastors prepare their sermons on Friday, although they may add a few finishing touches on that day. Originally Posted By: lazarus Ok, so I just finished my sermon. Its 9 pages long. There are 5 texts. Its topical. 10 personal stories. Two illustrations from a book. Lots of shouting. Tons of walking up and down. A tearful, emotional altar call. How does that sound? Its called Thanksgiving 24/7! hmmmm.....John, Lazarus just finished his sermon on friday....Of course, you knew that when you posted your post, right? Finishing a sermon on Friday?!!!! That's a procrastinator for you. OK, that's really how I am too, truth to be told-- always rushing around to get everything done, just in the nik o' time. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Moderators John317 Posted November 28, 2006 Moderators Posted November 28, 2006 First of all, did you enjoy the study you had? Do you feel you got a lot out of it? It sounds like the pastor had a great idea for studying Hebrews, although not everyone would like to do that. I can imagine some young people getting pretty uptight and impatient about it. But it's a very good plan for understanding the context of the small portion you want to focus on, and that can be so important for getting it right. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
D. Allan Posted November 29, 2006 Posted November 29, 2006 Quote: First of all, did you enjoy the study you had? Do you feel you got a lot out of it? I enjoyed it alot. To the author of Hebrews, Jesus, of course, is greater than anything and everything. All the Mosaic laws are fulfilled in Jesus. If you've got Jesus, you've got enough. ------------------------ Jesus is enough Quote dAb O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
aka Posted November 29, 2006 Posted November 29, 2006 The wish is in my heart as well to sit listening to any sermon exclusively expounding on the book of Hebrews. Christ our great high priest made perfect through sufferings,having the likeness of Melchizedek. The heavenly priesthood of the new covenant with Christ as our mediator. The allusions to the sanctuary symbolic services would be in the sermon. Then comes the point we are running the race in Faith with endurance as example of all the witnesses of believers before us in the chap.11 list. Then to top it off before 12 noon comes and lunch hunger sets in, letting us hear of the social and religious duties of our obligations as laid out in the last chapter. After listening I would go away having been really truly spiritually fed. Quote
aka Posted November 29, 2006 Posted November 29, 2006 Would someone please tell me just how many full pages typed does it take to fill up 30 minutes of preaching? Quote
Moderators lazarus Posted November 30, 2006 Moderators Posted November 30, 2006 There are a number of variable here, spacing, page, size and font sizes and margins. My rule of thumb is 1 page= 5 minutes. The page size I use is A5 (half US letter). Font is usually 12 for main text, smaller for scripture. Its always best to run through the finished product to be sure of the timing. My last sermon was 9 pages but thats because of illustrations etc but the sermon length was about 35 mins. I usually have about 7 pages! Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Moderators lazarus Posted November 30, 2006 Moderators Posted November 30, 2006 John, I'm interested to know where u got the stats about SDA pastors, I assume it was a survey! Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Neil D Posted December 2, 2006 Author Posted December 2, 2006 Quote: I would love to hear a series of good expository sermons on the book of Hebrews. It's one of my favorites in all the Bible. I find it very exciting to study, and it has so much in it, but it's one that you seldom hear Adventist preachers preaching on any more. John, I'm interested to know where u got the stats about SDA pastors, I assume it was a survey! Same here, Lazarus.... What I would like to see is an Altar Call from the book of The Song of Solomon.... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
aka Posted December 3, 2006 Posted December 3, 2006 Thank you so very much lazarus, for filling me in on that information. I was wanting to know this for such a long time but never thought to ask a minister directly because all the ones I know go into sermons for 40-50 minutes in length. A 30 minute well balanced sermon stays longer in my mind. Theme,illustrations, theme again, bible verses to substantiate or chosen at beginning as exergesis, then closing comments to wrap it all up in a logical ending. When the sermon has a golden thread that challenges me to change something in my life, I classify it as a super sermon. I mean, when the point was for me as listener to reach for a higher level in holiness, to give up what hinders that and the sermon spoke to my will, then I call it a super sermon. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.