Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted July 5, 2025 Moderators Posted July 5, 2025 The following is the message that I sent to the new GC President, with some personal information removed. He may not have been given my message yet. NOTE: I do not know why this copy is underlined. As sent to him, it was not. Mission & Ministry The fundamentals of mission and ministry occur on the congregational level. This is where people are converted (Matthew 28:19 & 20) and members are prepared to spend eternity with Christ (Revelation 14:6-13). From this perspective, the local pastor is the most important employee in this denomination. The maximum support should be given to that pastor and congregation. The President of the Local conference, who has the job of supporting the congregational ministry has the second most important job in the denomination. In actual fact, the General Conference President, who has extremely little impact on congregational ministry holds the least important job in the denomination. You will contribute to the spiritual welfare of this denomination if you focus our efforts and funding on the congregational level and reduce the current administrative load carried by current administration. Finances & Support We do not need to duplicate administrative support on all levels. Religious Liberty and Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries may be needed on the country/nation level. But, that does not mean that they are needed on the General Conference and Union level. Decisions on Ordination can be made on the Union level, or perhaps Division, but are not needed on a higher level. This may result in some differences that will concern some people. That is OK. Decisions as to ministry should be made by people who best understand the local situation and not imposed by people who may not understand the local situation. In short; You may best serve the Lord by reducing the administrate load and focusing the majority of support to the local congregation and that pastor. Who Am I? * I served for 7.5 years as a congregational pastor in the Potomac Conference. * I served for 18-years, on active duty as a US> Army Chaplain. * I have served as a chaplain for a US Army Reserve unit. * I was the first SDA to serve as a Chaplain for a National Guard unit. * I am probably the only SDA to have served on the teaching faculty of a US military Chaplain School (Army). * I am the first US Army Chaplain to go into combat with a COED unit. * My retirement award was a Legion of Merit, look it up if you are interested as such was not normal. * I manage an Internet forum of some 17,000 people who come together to discuss common spiritual issues in a civil manner. The vast majority of these people are not traditional Adventists. At a later time, I may post this message in that forum. You would be welcome to respond. If you wish to view that thread see: https://clubadventist.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=94190 Quote Gregory
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted July 5, 2025 Author Moderators Posted July 5, 2025 Reserved for future use. Quote Gregory
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted July 5, 2025 Author Moderators Posted July 5, 2025 Reserved for future use. Quote Gregory
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.