Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

Posted

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." (Gal. 6:9, 10) [emphasis added]

Much of the missionary work I have done in Mexico has been helping poor families with home improvements. Many live without indoor plumbing and in plywood shacks with dirt floors. I used these good works as a means to form friendships and then I would do Bible studies with them. I helped a lot of people and spent a lot of money but never had one choose baptism. A couple of years ago we bought a piece of land and since then I have spent my time building our own house and paying as we go instead of borrowing money. We expect to finish with our home in another couple of years and return to doing the work in Mexico.

When I first read this verse, after doing the work in Mexico, it impacted me that perhaps the focus of my ministry in Mexico should be helping the poor people that are already in the church. In that way I would play more of a supporting role rather than a front line role. I can help those that are in the church and doing Bible studies and holding crusades with nonbelievers.

Does this verse indicate that our charity dollars should be spent helping the poor among us first, before helping nonbelievers?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com 

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Posted

It's a very poor witness and a poor example to the world around us if we are seen to be putting a lot of effort into relieving the needs of others, while our own church members suffer.

Not to mention, likely to breed discontent and resentment among those church members who feel neglected.

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

Posted

Quote:

"Does this verse indicate that our charity dollars should be spent helping the poor among us first, before helping nonbelievers?"

Absolutely, Charity begins at home.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...